Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Quite simply the Lowland league diddies should be told no spfl promotion without them changing. Either that or Wosl just applies to be a proper tier 5 league unlike these donkeys. 

Ideally the SFA needs to find a way to intervene and force change like they did with the Club 42 playoff rule but that might not be easy in terms of the rulebook.

If the vote was as tight as that it does hint at hope it will change in the next season or two.  VoL for example would almost be guaranteed to vote just for status quo, who ever comes up will likely to be inclined to want more opportunities for other larger tier 6 sides to join them.   We could also possibly see Cowdenbeath come down but Bonnyrigg stay in the division.  That adds another yes to change vote IMO.  We vote this time next year and it could be 9-7 the other way.  

If the vote was as tight as that it does hint at hope it will change in the next season or two.  VoL for example would almost be guaranteed to vote just for status quo, who ever comes up will likely to be inclined to want more opportunities for other larger tier 6 sides to join them.   We could also possibly see Cowdenbeath come down but Bonnyrigg stay in the division.  That adds another yes to change vote IMO.  We vote this time next year and it could be 9-7 the other way.  
Will always be 9 or so teams scared of relegation in my opinion in a 16 team league. East Stirling and Berwick might be for 3 up and 3 down now for example but once end up a bottom half team they won't vote for it.

Therein lies the problem, they are in a stalemate situation, the LL won’t do anything until the SPFL open up.

They’ll do it first. Those former juniors will vote for it whereas your LL founders are not enjoying the thought of disappearing. It’s disappointing but understandable if you run one of those clubs.

You only have to look at the South Challenge to see there’s stronger teams below the LL than in it.

The only way out of this short term is to broker a 2 up 2 down with the creation of a Lowland League 2.

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Quite simply the Lowland league diddies should be told no spfl promotion without them changing. Either that or Wosl just applies to be a proper tier 5 league unlike these donkeys. 

Ironically every team in the WOSFL could have applied to be a proper Tier 5 several years ago, but opted not to. 

They now want to run the show before even completing a full season in the Pyramid and before  they have even balanced their own conferences, which seems premature.   But for what it's worth, I think there should be greater promotion and relegation.

Edited by Kirk St Moritz

The Lowland League have cover in the Highland League. It's kind of hard to force anything on them when they technically have a better format than the Highland League.

If it is 9-7 I doubt it will last long for a change. If the Tier 6 leagues put pressure on them between now and the AGM. Maybe it could be put on the AGM agenda for another vote. As by the time the AGM rolls around there will have been some changes.

1 minute ago, Kirk St Moritz said:

Ironically every team in the WOSFL could have applied to be a proper Tier 5 several years ago, but opted not to. 

They now want to run the show before even completing a full season in the Pyramid and before  they have even balanced their own conferences, which seems premature.   But for what it's worth, I think there should be greater promotion and relegation.

Now they want what everyone has been spent years asking for.

image.png.c4d135a2e8ff1fd9df84778843c3773f.png

This isn't a new thing. It hasn't anything to do with the WoSFL. The LL can't hide behind that bollocks. The LL has benefited from two COVID curtailed saving clubs from relegation and lined their pockets by accepting in the colts. Not too long ago they were seen as custodians of the pyramid, now they're simply gatekeepers.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Now they want what everyone has been spent years asking for.

image.png.c4d135a2e8ff1fd9df84778843c3773f.png

This isn't a new thing. It hasn't anything to do with the WoSFL. The LL can't hide behind that bollocks. The LL has benefited from two COVID curtailed saving clubs from relegation and lined their pockets by accepting in the colts. Not too long ago they were seen as custodians of the pyramid, now they're simply gatekeepers.

The LL League currently offer more promotion and relegation than the HL and the SPFL in the Pyramid, but I would also like to see it open up more.

It’s the reason a lot of teams didn’t join first off. To be blunt some of these teams are falsely playing at a higher level and as long as that remains you’ll have fans thinking it’s a league of diddy teams (incorrectly imo but that’s the perception).

The product will improve and teams will get to the SPFL quicker if they find a solution.

That said, the EOSP for example is a great league as it stands with the cup football bringing a bit of variety. It’s a much more balanced league than the LL where nearly every team can beat another. So it’s not a chore being there.

32 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I do love a balanced, well reasoned debate.

2 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

It’s the reason a lot of teams didn’t join first off. To be blunt some of these teams are falsely playing at a higher level and as long as that remains you’ll have fans thinking it’s a league of diddy teams (incorrectly imo but that’s the perception).

The product will improve and teams will get to the SPFL quicker if they find a solution.

That said, the EOSP for example is a great league as it stands with the cup football bringing a bit of variety. It’s a much more balanced league than the LL where nearly every team can beat another. So it’s not a chore being there.

I’m not sure you can say they are falsely playing at a higher level. These teams took the opportunity to play in the league when it was presented to them, it’s not their fault that others didn’t.

38 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Lowland League board dictated that WOSFL Premier Division has either 5 or 7 relegated this season while they stay at 1 down (maybe). A complete shambles.

That's not true. The Scottish FA dictated that there had to be a WoSFL Premier League, and politics after that dictated that it would be a 20-team league reducing down to 16 teams as soon as possible. The Lowland League board wanted all-in Conferences in the WoSFL.

Edited by glensmad

Every team in the LL could have applied to join the SFL when Gretna went bust, I don't know what that has to do with anything here.

The Lowland League have nuked every remaining piece of credibility they once had over the last 18 months or so, and I cannot wait to get my grave dancing shoes out when the likes of Vale of Leithen, Gretna, Edusport, Broomhill and East Kilbride eventually plunge to their natural level in the next few years.

12 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I’m not sure you can say they are falsely playing at a higher level. These teams took the opportunity to play in the league when it was presented to them, it’s not their fault that others didn’t.

2 curtailed seasons mean clubs are not where they would be otherwise. That's without going into the minutiae of events spanning a decade.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

2 curtailed seasons mean clubs are not where they would be otherwise. That's without going into the minutiae of events spanning a decade.

Again, it’s not their fault, there is not much you can do about a pandemic.