Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I agree that LL should have more promotion slots and league 2 should be automatically relegating 10th at worst.  However there’s a complete lack of understanding of how things work in Scottish football.  Blaming the SFA for example like they have any authority.

If your auntie had baws and the SJFA properly engaged a decade ago things might have been different but we are where we are now.  There’s no point in screaming about what you think should happen, you need to present arguments about how you encourage clubs to vote for it.  

As part of the notes from the last LL Board meeting there was a section devoted to promotion/relegation. It may well be a fabrication but it does take on the language you usually see from them.

Lowland Working Group
The group met recently where it was felt there was no current requirement for a SLFL 2 and that it was important to discuss with clubs possible further promotion opportunities into the SLFL. The Board noted there could also be a rebranding opportunity should the Leagues agree to work closer together and agreed to add Increased promotion/relegation between Tiers 5 and 6 onto the agenda for the next General Meeting.

A bit like when the Tier 6 leagues got together to go against the Colts proposal, they have to do so again to come up with a format to push on the Lowland League.

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

You’re missing the point. Arbroath are there on merit with the opportunity to progress. The LL are restricting the progress of teams who are clearly better than the teams above them.

It’s one of the reasons the juniors waited so long was the lack of trust in the pyramid to do the right thing. That being at least two up two down from league 2 and below. You only need to look at Whitehill to see the direction those teams will go.

Until this is sorted it’ll always be looked at as a bit of a diddy league where the top teams spank the lower teams.

As for your point on the west. Not scared of any of them in a playoff tbh.

Ah makes sense now Linlithgow on the verge of a possible play off. Never heard hee haw from you about this earlier in the season. As FwF pointed out the pandemic hasnt exactly helped the system.

You can't use WW as an example either.There have been major changes both on and off the park, floodlights etc, in the last few seasons there.

This is a league where maybes bar Vale anybody can beat anybody so will disagree there.

I wouldn't be writing off the bottom SPFL side either,they very much have the advantage when it comes to the play off. That seems overlooked here.

I agree that LL should have more promotion slots and league 2 should be automatically relegating 10th at worst.  However there’s a complete lack of understanding of how things work in Scottish football.  Blaming the SFA for example like they have any authority.
If your auntie had baws and the SJFA properly engaged a decade ago things might have been different but we are where we are now.  There’s no point in screaming about what you think should happen, you need to present arguments about how you encourage clubs to vote for it.  

That’s what I was trying to do. Financial benefit and a more competitive league.

Ah makes sense now Linlithgow on the verge of a possible play off. Never heard hee haw from you about this earlier in the season. As FwF pointed out the pandemic hasnt exactly helped the system.
You can't use WW as an example either.There have been major changes both on and off the park, floodlights etc, in the last few seasons there.
This is a league where maybes bar Vale anybody can beat anybody so will disagree there.
I wouldn't be writing off the bottom SPFL side either,they very much have the advantage when it comes to the play off. That seems overlooked here.

That’s not true I’ve said from the off. Even if Linlithgow don’t finish top (it’s a three horse race), with the West coming in the rules should have changed to accommodate.

Your point on the league 2 club is correct, but also a nonsense as they should be automatically relegated.

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The halfwits at the BBC commentary just assume "juniors" likes of Talbot will be spfl within a couple of years. Obviously have no idea about the self preservation league and near impossibility of that scenario.

I put teams like talbot(the favourite WoS side) at about 5 years.

Edited by parsforlife

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The halfwits at the BBC commentary just assume "juniors" likes of Talbot will be spfl within a couple of years. Obviously have no idea about the self preservation league and near impossibility of that scenario.

Why wouldn't they be?

Kelty 2018-2021

Bonnyrigg 2019-2022?? They'll fancy their chances this season

Whoever gets promoted this season from Tier 6 will fancy being one and done in the Lowland League. If a Pollok, Talbot, or Linlithgow Rose can't beat a club like Albion Rovers or Elgin City over two games. That'd have nothing to do with self-preservation but those clubs not living up to the hype.

I agree I fancy whoever goes up this year to challenge for the LL immediately. The only one who hasn’t is Bo’ness and in fairness I’m surprised at that but they weren’t as dominant as Kelty and Bonnyrigg in their promotion season as it was halted due to covid. I’m sure they will in the next couple of seasons.

If the system stays the same then every single promoted Tier 6 team will finish comfortably in the top half of the Lowland League, and many of them will challenge for the title straight away. Talbot will be strong favourites for the league if they go up.

On 23/01/2022 at 16:42, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

You only need to look at Whitehill to see the direction those teams will go.

The situation at WW is specific to the decline of the club and says little about the standard of the LL. Look up how many points they gathered around 2014-17 when the likes of Edinburgh City were in it as well as Spartans and EK, and a strong Stirling Uni who were taking released pros from English clubs on scholarships.
But true, the Vale and maybe one or two others would quickly drop right through the EOS Prem.

17 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Eosfl is the same but will fill up with cup ties postponed games and league cup

Seems like it was set aside for the possibility of making up postponements, with the option of having a League Cup section if ahead of schedule.

I think there's been a decent spread of postponements so far that they might opt for making up those fixtures. With a month to go there's likely to be some more that would further pad things out.

It was the same in the 2019-20 fixtures, first weekend SCC/EOSQC/SCFA, second and fourth weekends marked as reserve dates, third weekend league fixtures.

We've not had a big freeze this winter so things are running ahead of schedule. 

11 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I think they would as the B teams finishing position will be disregarded.

That's a table to show what it would look like with all the B team results wiped.

In reality the B team results will all stand. CSS have been able to pick up 4pts from their three B team games, and Berwick lost all four. Which means Berwick have some catching up to do.