Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The HFL is a 100 year old league with established community clubs (and FW) with a at most a dozen clubs underneath capable of addin value to the league.

The LL is the opposite. A rag tag bunch of students, 11 lads who bought a set of strips and pissweak clubs who shod have been empied from the league years ago holding up the progress of established community clubs with things like fans and grounds.

Yip could just as easy rephrase it by stating it's a bit like the old junior league management committee wi their established community clubs who couldn't see the benefits in front of them lol.

Was only trying to reason as to why LL clubs won't open up yet its seen as "havering pish".

Hopefully the new regime will get it right and common sense prevails if anything just to keep yoursel Marshy and the Virgin sweet. :thumsup2

Thomas Brown it is.

http://slfl.co.uk/lowland-league-elects-new-chairperson/

The Scottish Lowland Football League can confirm that Thomas Brown has been elected to the position of chairperson.

Thomas previously served as vice-chairperson and as a Board member for eighteen months.

Speaking of his appointment, Thomas said: “I’m really looking forward to this challenge and working with the Board and the member clubs.

“I would like to thank all the clubs who have offered words of encouragement and support in recent days and I believe that the future of the Lowland League looks bright.

It’s also important to have a positive, open and collaborative relationship with other leagues and I look forward to taking this forward with the Board and member clubs in the coming weeks and months

“I would also like to thank our previous chairperson, George Fraser, for his outstanding work over the last four years guiding us through so some really difficult times and I wish him well for the future.”

This appointment completes the board and the other members of the Board are:

• Graeme Mullin (Vice-chairperson)
  • Findlay Murray
  • Chris Ewing
  • Brendan Parkinson
  • Kenny Murray
  • Andrew Waddell (Scottish FA Congress Representative)

He's the main proponent of the LL2 concept so there could be some reconstruction ahead. Also suspect that this points to reverting to Version 15 being the probable outcome where the Colts are concerned (i.e. boot them out pronto rather than accept a Club 42 boundary rule change) but time will tell. 

He's the main proponent of the LL2 concept so there could be some reconstruction ahead. Also suspect that this points to reverting to Version 15 being the probable outcome where the Colts are concerned (i.e. boot them out pronto rather than accept a Club 42 boundary rule change) but time will tell. 
Important to keep in mind LL2 was a thing pre-WOSFL & from the 'all in at tier 6' era. With the changes in material circumstance can't see a LL2 & nothings been said, rumoured or mooted about it since.

Thomas Brown was talking about LL2 in the recent podcast where he leaked what was happening with SFA approval for the rule change that would enable a second or third placed LL club to be Club 42. This was after he mentioned that having a second automatic relegation place is seldom mentioned in LL circles.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 17/09/2021 at 09:41, newcastle broon said:

Have they got a relegation spot in place up there yet?

Aye but a free hit at the play off. 

Just saw this reply......

The SHFL has a relegation play off in place now for the end of this season.

Any Licensed champions from the NCL,North juniors or Midland league would play off against one another.

The winner would then play the bottom club in the HL for a place in the HL.

As for my comment Newky,it was tongue in cheek hence the emoji I chose at the end of it........

But no denying the utter balls up the LL have made of all of this regarding the introduction of the B teams.

Only entities to benefit from it are Rangers and Celtic,no one else !!

Wakey wakey,It will be and will always will be about them !!!!!!!

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

How would a LL2 be decided on? Just the 16 highest placed licensed clubs moving up at the end of this season and leaving the leagues below to organise themselves however they see fit?

Different blazers have mentioned it in passing, and even then take a single person they're offering multiple formats. 

There has been no formal discussion since the working group set up in 2018 which went nowhere. 

EDIT: For those that want to hear what was mentioned in the new Chair's podcast appearance. The main takeaway for me is the supporting of a review of the pyramid and the idea of champions being automatically promoted.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Listening to the podcast I'm interested in the SFA still not signing off the OF ruling and the fact that relegated sides from League Two and the LL could contest their relegations. My team currently sit top of the WOSL but say they won the play off to join the LL would they be excepted if the bottom LL club wins their case to stay in the LL.

43 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Listening to the podcast I'm interested in the SFA still not signing off the OF ruling and the fact that relegated sides from League Two and the LL could contest their relegations. My team currently sit top of the WOSL but say they won the play off to join the LL would they be excepted if the bottom LL club wins their case to stay in the LL.

There isn't an issue with the LL Pyramid Play-off and under existing rules the LL have the capacity to temporarily expand if a relegation gets challenged. The T6 champion will be fine.

Bit mad I know, but how about the bottom two spfl clubs get relegated for being crap - both HL and LL champions get promoted - whilst below, all conference champions go up, if meeting criteria of course. Regular 2 up and down with no one crying nor being able to 'challenge' decisions. Never gonna happen I realise now 😥

There'd be about 30 teams in the Lowland League and eight in the Highland League in no time, unless you're going to punt teams up and down after the end of their season every year.

I see no strong argument for whichever Highland League outfit with a Walter Mitty backer or their Darvel-esque counterparts to waltz straight into a national league setup. 10th in SPFL2 should go down automatically, with the 9th placed side entering a play-off. I think a three-way round robin would be more interesting than 9th playing the losing non-league champion head to head. It would also be (slightly) easier to pass with existing SPFL clubs as they would start off with a better chance of staying in the national setup than not. 

Edited by vikingTON

It won't happen but I would still levy 10% of prize money from all SPFL clubs to create SPFL 3 with a prize pot of 500k (compared to 615k at L2 now).

Invite 5 LL and 5 HL teams to play in it (LL can fill the gap if 5 HL teams don't want to play national league football).

SPFL 3 Would have 1 automatic relegation spot and 9th Would have a playoff between HL/LL loser.

Would insulate existing SPFL teams from regional leagues.

This is perfect and I won't be taking questions on it. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 23/09/2021 at 13:59, Andy groundhopper said:

Bit mad I know, but how about the bottom two spfl clubs get relegated for being crap - both HL and LL champions get promoted - whilst below, all conference champions go up, if meeting criteria of course. Regular 2 up and down with no one crying nor being able to 'challenge' decisions. Never gonna happen I realise now 😥

Far to simple. Not enough algorithms to make it work😉

• 1 month later...

First ever LL game for me yesterday - CSS 0-1 Dalbeattie. Very strong wind largely ruined the game as a spectacle but Strollers still managed to pass it about well for most of the game. 

Dalbeattie goal came in the first half with the wind behind them. Long ball caught the Strollers keeper in two minds and the Dalbeattie player managed to beat him to the ball before rounding and rolling into an empty net from a tight angle.

Strollers had most of the play throughout and tested the opposition keeper more but Dalbeattie defended well, particularly their #5 who was very commanding. Joao Balde for Strollers looks a great player who could manage a step up.

A lot of the Strollers players looked good and it's easy to see why they've had such a good season so far. Hoping to get to next Saturday's game against Berwick as well. Enjoyable afternoon despite the conditions.

Edited by EdinburghLivi