Fun facts

The guy from the Succulent Chinese Meal video was released hours later due to him to being innocent and mistaken for someone else.

The British teenager who tried to assassinate Donald Trump in 2016 owned three robots from Robot Wars.

Royal Union St Gilloise take their name in part from the St Gilles area of Brussels

St Gilles is named after St Gilles or Giles 

Who is the Patron Saint of Edinburgh and is doing a good job giving divine intervention to his football team and upsetting half the population of our rival city, Glasgow :P

Not exactly a fun fact, but I just found out that the very English sounding badger look-a-like and disastrous Tory Chancellor Norman Lamont was born in Shetland and went to school in Musselburgh. His formal title is Baron Lamont of Lerwick.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not exactly a fun fact, but I just found out that the very English sounding badger look-a-like and disastrous Tory Chancellor Norman Lamont was born in Shetland and went to school in Musselburgh. His formal title is Baron Lamont of Lerwick.

And his dad pronounced the family surname "LAH-mont". It was Peerie Norrie* who changed it to "Lah-MONT" because he thought it sounded less common.

Dictionaries of the Scots Language:: DOST :: (dsl.ac.uk)

Edited by GordonD

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

And his dad pronounced the family surname "LAH-mont". It was Peerie Norrie* who changed it to "Lah-MONT" because he thought it sounded less common.

Dictionaries of the Scots Language:: DOST :: (dsl.ac.uk)

There was a previous Norman Lamont, I think unrelated, born in Bute and gored to death by a bull on his Trinidadian sugar plantation.

Sir Norman Lamont, 2nd Baronet (7 September 1869 – 3 September 1949) was a Scottish Liberal Party politician, sugar planter in Trinidad, and a recognised authority on agriculture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Norman_Lamont,_2nd_Baronet

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There was a previous Norman Lamont, I think unrelated, born in Bute and gored to death by a bull on his Trinidadian sugar plantation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Norman_Lamont,_2nd_Baronet

Presumably a recognised authority on arable agriculture as opposed to health and safety in cattle farming 

In the film, "The Railway Children", the part of 11 year old Phyllis is played by 20 year old Sally Thomsett. 

As part of her contract, she was not allowed to tell anyone her real age, be seen smoking or drinking, dating her boyfriend or driving her sports car.

She was 2 years older than her co-star Jenny Agutter who played her big sister.

Horace Wells, the man who discovered modern anesthesia, committed suicide after a failed demonstration of nitrous oxide cast his life into a spiral, where he closed his practice, became addicted to chloroform, and threw acid on prostitutes while inebriated.

On 04/08/2022 at 10:26, welshbairn said:

Presumably the cvnt was at Loretto and not Musselburgh High ?

31 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’ve an excellent book “the birth of satan” which describes how the concept of satan grew over time. Well worth a read.

I've got a few friends that would never read the book, but do his work.☹️