Jump to content

Fun facts


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Powers Boothe, the go to baddie for conspiracy films and thrillers, was born Powers Mark Boothe.

Famous for playing the saloon owner in Deadwood, he was buried in the real Deadwood when he died. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1930s actress Hedy Lamarr invented a guidance system for torpedoes.

Forgotten Marx Brother Zeppo invented the clamp which secured the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs to their carrier aircraft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who was the actor who had a son with a serious illness, and invented some kind of device that became standard to help with the condition?

Sorry that's so vague, but it's bugging me now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

America's founding fathers deserve credit for something.

Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair while Benjamin Franklin invented the rocking chair.

Obviously some sort of rivalry going on there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Who was the actor who had a son with a serious illness, and invented some kind of device that became standard to help with the condition?

Sorry that's so vague, but it's bugging me now.

Canadian rock-god Neil Young bought a model train company (Lionel, I think) and came up with a control system for multiple trains that enabled his son, who I think has cerebral palsy, to get a heap of enjoyment .

http://thrasherswheat.org/tfa/trains-neil-young-1993.htm

Edited by Florentine_Pogen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

America's founding fathers deserve credit for something.

Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair while Benjamin Franklin invented the rocking chair.

Obviously some sort of rivalry going on there.

You think Franklin bragged to Jefferson about his invention and told him to go swivel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

America's founding fathers deserve credit for something.
Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair while Benjamin Franklin invented the rocking chair.
Obviously some sort of rivalry going on there.
Both styles came with holsters fitted as standard.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first actor to be nominated for both an academy award and an Emmy in the same year did so in 1961, and again in 1962.

Spoiler

Peter Falk. 

Oscar nominations for Murder Inc (1961) and Pocketful of Miracles (1962).

Emmy nominations in 1961 for The Law and Mr Jones (1961) and The Dick Powell Show (1962).

Won an Emmy in 1972 for Columbo.

5HhzU8ErKK5tUSRMUAE8P4n26C0.jpg

Also won the Best German Actor award in 1976 from Golden Camera, Germany, despite not being German. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/06/2022 at 10:12, BFTD said:

Who was the actor who had a son with a serious illness, and invented some kind of device that became standard to help with the condition?

Sorry that's so vague, but it's bugging me now.

Not an actor, but Roald Dahl’s kid’s buggy got hit by a car, which caused some sort of hydrocephalus. Dahl was credited on a patent along with an engineer for inventing a controlled catheter device to remove the fluid.

proving that what you need to treat water on the brain is a tap on the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not an actor, but Roald Dahl’s kid’s buggy got hit by a car, which caused some sort of hydrocephalus. Dahl was credited on a patent along with an engineer for inventing a controlled catheter device to remove the fluid.

proving that what you need to treat water on the brain is a tap on the head.

That's probably the one! Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...