Fun facts

It’s actually quicker to say ‘Volkswagen’ than it is to say ‘V.W.’  

If I had a pound for every time I heard someone using an acronym that actually extended the syllable count I would be a billionaire. 
Don't most volk just say "veedub"?

20 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Their was only 15 episodes of Mr Bean. 

Always presumed was way more 

If I'd had to guess, I'd have said twelve. It was huge on VHS when it was first released, and I remember charity shops being inundated with the tapes years later, but there were only three. I guess they were quite short.

They did an animated series maybe ten years ago, with Rowan Atkinson doing the voice again, and my son loved it for a while, so I decided to show him the original, but he didn't like it. Kids, eh?

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

I think it's perhaps time the forum backed off the size-ist gags aimed at @Bairnardo. It's not big and it's not clever. 

Aye, fair enough.  Must admit that I was in two minds about it, but perhaps late Friday exuberance got the better.

As a more on-topic contribution, the terracing at Central Park in Cowdenbeath was constructed using spoil from the local coal pits.

Edited by Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aye, fair enough.  Must admit that I was in two minds about it, but perhaps late Friday exuberance got the better.

Didn't you notice his less than sincere tone? Or the size joke in the follow up?

Swiss yodelers once held a claim to have invented jazz scat but diminished chords hadn't been invented until the 20th century.

This sent me down a wormhole

Diminished triads have been around since the Middle Ages as they occur in the standard diatonic scale (you can play one using just the white notes)
B, D, F

The B and F next to each other is a tritone that sounds a bit spicy

Jazz harmony is more likely to use half diminished chords with a dominant 7th
B, D, F, A

Instead of the diminished 7th
B, D, F, Ab

The half dominant 7th is also referred to as a minor 7 with a flatted 5th just to confuse people like me trying to read charts

The diminished 7th sounds even weirder and doesn’t fit in with any diatonic scale and it’s got a second tritone between D and Ab so it’s not so useful

Johan Sebastian Bach apparently used it in in his “chromatic fantasy” (around 1720)

https://www.teoria.com/en/articles/bach-chopin/03.php

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This sent me down a wormhole

Diminished triads have been around since the Middle Ages as they occur in the standard diatonic scale (you can play one using just the white notes)
B, D, F

The B and F next to each other is a tritone that sounds a bit spicy

Jazz harmony is more likely to use half diminished chords with a dominant 7th
B, D, F, A

Instead of the diminished 7th
B, D, F, Ab

The half dominant 7th is also referred to as a minor 7 with a flatted 5th just to confuse people like me trying to read charts

The diminished 7th sounds even weirder and doesn’t fit in with any diatonic scale and it’s got a second tritone between D and Ab so it’s not so useful

Johan Sebastian Bach apparently used it in in his “chromatic fantasy” (around 1720)

https://www.teoria.com/en/articles/bach-chopin/03.php

You've far too much time on your jazz hands.

14 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Swiss yodelers once held a claim to have invented jazz scat but diminished chords hadn't been invented until the 20th century.

Not a lot to invent here.

The C Major (Ionian) scale is equivalent to the white keys on a piano (i.e. C,D,E,F,G,A,B).  Similarly A Minor (Aeolian) and B Diminished (Locrian).  Also D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian and G Mixolydian.  Basically the same concept with a different starting point.

On a guitar, C major, B diminished and A minor have similarities

C Major.jpg

B Diminished.jpg

A Minor.jpg