Fun facts

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

As i understand a theory, our perception that we experience the world in real time is an illusion and our conscious "observer" is always a fraction of a second behind our sensory inputs, experiencing only the bits that our subconscious thinks we need to know about. 

I guess in an emergency the editing suite thinks that more information is needed. 

In @Fullerene's analogy, we' re always recording at 56 frames/sec, viewing at 28 and usually view every second one but view them all if we need to. 

I think it's a bit like a tennis player receiving a 130 mph serve. Physically it's impossible to react in time when the ball leaves the racket, you have to extrapolate from the server's movements before he hits it where the ball might be when it gets to your side of the net. But in your mind you think you're watching the ball and moving in response to it's path. That sounds as if I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not, just going off at a tangent. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's a bit like a tennis player receiving a 130 mph serve. Physically it's impossible to react in time when the ball leaves the racket, you have to extrapolate from the server's movements before he hits it where the ball might be when it gets to your side of the net. But in your mind you think you're watching the ball and moving in response to it's path. That sounds as if I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not, just going off at a tangent. 

That's exactly it, i think.

Anyway my fun fact is that the country which produces the most lentils in the world is Canada. 

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You obviously have not read Matthew Syed "Bounce".  He is a world champion at table tennis.  He played Michael Stich at tennis.  How different can that be?  One moment Stich was throwing the ball in the air.  The next it whisked past Matthew's ear.

To clarify, I think we record at 28 frames per second (for sake of argument)  but can switch to 56 to ensure we spot everything.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

You obviously have not read Matthew Syed "Bounce".  He is a world champion at table tennis.  He played Michael Stich at tennis.  How different can that be?  One moment Stich was throwing the ball in the air.  The next it whisked past Matthew's ear.

To clarify, I think we record at 28 frames per second (for sake of argument)  but can switch to 56 to ensure we spot everything.

This might be a huge calumny, but I have a memory of Viv Richards saying that facing an England bowler shortly after a discrete spliff was like seeing a red beach ball slowly meandering towards you. You would think that sports psychologists could find a way of flipping the the switch to 56 f/s when needed, if not permanently, which might lead to insanity. But if it's the Camanachd Cup Final, who cares? The question I still have though is, if your body takes a certain fraction of a second to move after your eye registers the data, sends it to the brain and relays it to the relevant muscles, does it really matter if you're recording at 28 or 56? Once the ball's left the hand or racket there's zero time to physically adjust your response.

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This might be a huge calumny, but I have a memory of Viv Richards saying that facing an England bowler shortly after a discrete spliff was like seeing a red beach ball slowly meandering towards you. You would think that sports psychologists could find a way of flipping the the switch to 56 f/s when needed, if not permanently, which might lead to insanity. But if it's the Camanachd Cup Final, who cares? The question I still have though is, if your body takes a certain fraction of a second to move after your eye registers the data, sends it to the brain and relays it to the relevant muscles, does it really matter if you're recording at 28 or 56? Once the ball's left the hand or racket there's zero time to physically adjust your response.

In his book, Matthew Syed (who is himself a world champion at table tennis) says he saw the ball being tossed up into the air and the next moment it went whizzing past his ear.

Apparently there are other clues, such as the position of your opponent's waist that indicate where the ball will be.

I find when watching tennis or ice hockey, I cannot see the ball or puck but if I watch it long enough I do see it.  Something along the lines of "you know where it will be."

There is an urban myth that in one study a different letter was written on a baseball and the batter was asked what it was and they consistently got it right.

Note that when Viv Richards saw a slow ball coming towards him, his observation of everything else is gone.  "How big was the crowd?"  "I have no idea."

4 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

On 8th July at 11.15am, 99% of the world's population will be in sunlight.

Except viewers in Scotland, where it will be overcast with light drizzle.

In his book, Matthew Syed (who is himself a world champion at table tennis) says he saw the ball being tossed up into the air and the next moment it went whizzing past his ear.
Apparently there are other clues, such as the position of your opponent's waist that indicate where the ball will be.
I find when watching tennis or ice hockey, I cannot see the ball or puck but if I watch it long enough I do see it.  Something along the lines of "you know where it will be."
There is an urban myth that in one study a different letter was written on a baseball and the batter was asked what it was and they consistently got it right.
Note that when Viv Richards saw a slow ball coming towards him, his observation of everything else is gone.  "How big was the crowd?"  "I have no idea."

Matthew Syed was never close to being world champion, he was bang average.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Stephen Stills auditioned for The Monkees. He suggested his pal Peter Tork. The rest etc.

As did Charles Manson. Supposedly he was turned down because he had bad teeth.

Horses can't vomit, can sleep standing up and have the largest eyeball of any land mammal.

They also prefer country & western and classical music over jazz or rock.  

I thought that last fact might have been someone tampering with Wikipedia but I've checked it out and apparently it's true....

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

After you die you leave your body and go into a room where you get served popcorn.  You then have to rematch the highlights of your whole life again via the tiny video camera that was inserted above your right ear at birth.

Tsk........'Facts You Made Up' thread for this pish................................