Fun facts

In the film 'Green Book', Viggo Mortensen plays a mob associate who drives black composer / jazzer Don Shirley around the Deep South of USA whilst he was touring in the 60's.

green-book-fried-chicken.gif.357211c122f8c842d5d163efc28f95d9.gif

The film is actually based on the true story of sometime wiseguy Anthony 'Lip' Vallelonga who, for a time, was Shirley's chauffeur and bodyguard. He went on to play Carmine Luppertazzi in The Sopranos.

hqdefault.jpg.750bd6735b9f311cb0eb508b0221601a.jpg

Squirrels' perception of time is 1/4 the speed of ours. If we looked through their eyes every movement would look like it was in slow motion. Helps them evade predators.

Wonder how it works; assuming time is a real dimension in the universe. Otherwise our brains are making our lives seem unbearably long.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Squirrels' perception of time is 1/4 the speed of ours. If we looked through their eyes every movement would look like it was in slow motion. Helps them evade predators.

It's supposed to be similar for flies, isn't it? I remember that being why they always seem to know when a rolled-up newspaper is headed in their direction.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's supposed to be similar for flies, isn't it? I remember that being why they always seem to know when a rolled-up newspaper is headed in their direction.

Aye. Might be why people often talk about everything slowing down when they're in a car crash, your brain is hyper stimulated from danger signals. I was in one and I remember wondering why my arms were moving so slowly to protect my head before we crashed, just before I flew through the windscreen.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Aye. Might be why people often talk about everything slowing down when they're in a car crash, your brain is hyper stimulated from danger signals. I was in one and I remember wondering why my arms were moving so slowly to protect my head before we crashed, just before I flew through the windscreen.

I thought that when a camera records in slow motion, it actually records at twice the speed, for example, 56 frames per second instead of just 28.  When you play this back at 28 frames a second, it will only be going half the original speed.

I suspect the whole danger signals thing is similar but then again I could be wrong.

Indeed. I think for flies it's something like 10x slower. For Chic Charnley it was only 2x but enough to compensate for his lack of maneuverability.

f**k that. Imagine watching Gary Miller at half speed.

Ties in nicely with the car crash theme

Webmaster David McDonald went to Paisley Grammar School. However, on that first day of 1st year there was another boy called David McDonald. In the Assembly Hall the names were called out and webmaster David went to one class and the other DMcD went to a different class.

Turns out that, due to the "same name situation", they were in the wrong class and had to swap.

Webmaster David describes it as a "Sliding Doors moment" and believes if he had stayed in the original class that he would have become a multi-millionare actor, would still have a head of hair and would have pumped Karen Gillan.

Spoiler

The other David Mcdonald went on to become David Tennant.

36 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

In 100 years' time there will be a post on this thread telling people that "The term sliding doors is actually a reference to an obscure 20th century film starring John Hannah".

Similarly the term "Gaslighting" refers to the film where Angela Lansbury made her film debut.

It also starred Ingrid Bergman.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

In 100 years' time there will be a post on this thread telling people that "The term sliding doors is actually a reference to an obscure 20th century film starring John Hannah".

A hundred years from now, John Hannah will be a well-known actor?

Is The Mummy going to be the 22nd century's Citizen Kane?

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Alright, I'll ask, and then we'll never speak of this again.

You OK?

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Alright, I'll ask, and then we'll never speak of this again.

You OK?

Why do you ask? I'm cool.

image.png.cb4b4a2efa14c36b2dcdbae0e81b3f77.png

P.S. A few stitches and a wee scar, that was it. 

Edited by welshbairn

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A few stitches and a wee scar, that was it. 

Theatre and stunt work?

P&B's very own Kane Hodder!

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

As i understand a theory, our perception that we experience the world in real time is an illusion and our conscious "observer" is always a fraction of a second behind our sensory inputs, experiencing only the bits that our subconscious thinks we need to know about. 

I guess in an emergency the editing suite thinks that more information is needed. 

In @Fullerene's analogy, we' re always recording at 56 frames/sec, viewing at 28 and usually view every second one but view them all if we need to.