Fun facts

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Yes it does and is defined as "the beak of a large ocean-going seabird which is fond of chips and ice-cream".

That sounds like the Uxbridge English dictionary which has the following definition

"Countryside: to kill Piers Morgan"

History Lesson: With the Prime Minister keen to return to Imperial weights and measures, it's worth noting that Britain started to prepare for the decimalisation of currency 122 years before it happened.

The florin (aka 2 bob bit/2 shillings) was very close in value to the half-crown but was specifically introduced as it was one tenth of a pound. The first ones caused a scandal as they omitted the vital inscription “D.G.” or “Dei Gratia” - by the Grace of God – relating to the manner in which Queen Victoria had been elected. These were hastily withdrawn.

For those under the age of 60ish here's an explanation of why decimal systems are best, whatever BJ and Middle England think..

4 farthings or 2 halfpennies = 1 penny

12 pennies or 4 threepennys or 2 sixpences = 1 shilling

2 shillings = 1 florin

2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (full crown weren't in normal circulation)

a 10 bob note = ½ a pound

20 shillings = £1

and of course 21 shillings = 1 guinea – only useful for horse trading.

I was 12 when decimal currency came in so for the whole of my primary education we were taught the old money.

We had to do sums like adding £1 17/10d to £2 9/7d and do it quickly! Far easier to add £1.89 to £2.48.

Edited by GordonD

The soap dispenser at our local laundrette had '6d' as part of the artwork when I was a tot, and I remember thinking someone had badly fucked up the 'p'.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The soap dispenser at our local laundrette had '6d' as part of the artwork when I was a tot, and I remember thinking someone had badly fucked up the 'p'.

To most OF* fans, soap only exists in the 6th dimension tbf.

The word "Dollar" as in money is derived from the word "Joachimsthaler".

Hence why the pre-Euro Slovene currency was the Tolar.

The $ symbol has its roots in a picture of a banner wrapped round the two pillars of Gibraltar which was on Spanish New World coinage.

19 hours ago, GordonD said:

I was 12 when decimal currency came in so for the whole of my primary education we were taught the old money.

We had to do sums like adding £1 17/10d to £2 9/7d and do it quickly! Far easier to add £1.89 to £2.48.

That will come in handy in a couple of years time when old money is reintroduced by Moggcunt & Co. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2022 at 13:42, House Bartender said:

History Lesson: With the Prime Minister keen to return to Imperial weights and measures, it's worth noting that Britain started to prepare for the decimalisation of currency 122 years before it happened.

The florin (aka 2 bob bit/2 shillings) was very close in value to the half-crown but was specifically introduced as it was one tenth of a pound. The first ones caused a scandal as they omitted the vital inscription “D.G.” or “Dei Gratia” - by the Grace of God – relating to the manner in which Queen Victoria had been elected. These were hastily withdrawn.

For those under the age of 60ish here's an explanation of why decimal systems are best, whatever BJ and Middle England think..

4 farthings or 2 halfpennies = 1 penny

12 pennies or 4 threepennys or 2 sixpences = 1 shilling

2 shillings = 1 florin

2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (full crown weren't in normal circulation)

a 10 bob note = ½ a pound

20 shillings = £1

and of course 21 shillings = 1 guinea – only useful for horse trading.

I tried explaining all this to my then 12yo son,who was quite good at maths.A fter about 5 mins ,I got"my brain hurts, please stop".

A raven has 17 primary wing feathers, that's the big ones at the end of the wing. These are called pinion feathers.

Crows only have 16 of these.

So the difference between a crow and a raven is a matter of a pinion. 

59 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

A raven has 17 primary wing feathers, that's the big ones at the end of the wing. These are called pinion feathers.

Crows only have 16 of these.

So the difference between a crow and a raven is a matter of a pinion. 

Fun utter pish thread for this pish.