Fun facts

^^^ tight arse
Going back to the driving. I found out, that Samoa changed from right to left (only country to do), as they can buy cheaper cars from AUS & NZ rather than USA.
This only happened in 2009. They announced at 06:00 then they all switched on some date (not sure). Cost them loads to change the signs, but in the long run, saved the people money. 
There are quite a few countries which have a decent percentage of the cars on the road left hand drive, as second hand Japanese cars are the best value for money.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I reckon if I clenched my arse cheeks I could survive for a horribly long time, like weeks. I bet the arrowhead was a bit narrower in real life.

That was the point - it took a long time but you were in excruciating pain.  There are accounts of people being lifted off it with their bones totally exposed where the flesh had been torn away. 

4 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Surely the Vatican and Rome would be closer?

Interesting statistic: the Vatican has 5.9 popes per square mile.

Eta: I have to admit to 'admiring' the inventiveness of some of the Middle Age torture devices.  I wonder if there were people specifically employed to draw up designs all day.  Tying somebody down over a bamboo shoot (growing up through them whilst they remain alive for a prolonged period) probably tops it for originality.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tying somebody down over a bamboo shoot (growing up through them whilst they remain alive for a prolonged period) probably tops it for originality.

Mitsubishi did that with Australian POWs at their forced labour copper mines in WWII.

12 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

^^^ tight arse

Going back to the driving. I found out, that Samoa changed from right to left (only country to do), as they can buy cheaper cars from AUS & NZ rather than USA.

This only happened in 2009. They announced at 06:00 then they all switched on some date (not sure). Cost them loads to change the signs, but in the long run, saved the people money. 

My family moved to Sweden just after they switched from left to right in 1967. They banned driving for a few hours overnight, then everyone had to remember to drive on the other side of the road. Surprisingly there were fewer accidents the next day than normal, partly because many of them had been driving right hand drive cars while driving on the left which meant for dangerous overtaking.

55 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
4 hours ago, Fullerene said:
On a lighter note, Nebraska is the only triple land-locked state in the USA.

There are only two double land-locked countries in the world.

Yes.  One grows more carrots than the USA and the other is the world's largest producer of false teeth.

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Interesting statistic: the Vatican has 5.9 popes per square mile.

Eta: I have to admit to 'admiring' the inventiveness of some of the Middle Age torture devices.  I wonder if there were people specifically employed to draw up designs all day.  Tying somebody down over a bamboo shoot (growing up through them whilst they remain alive for a prolonged period) probably tops it for originality.

The brazen bull. A hollow metal "bull" that the victim is placed in. A fire is lit under it. As the victim screams the design of the bull converts the sounds to make it sound like a real bull. 

Entertainment as well as torture. Win-win. 

10 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Well, don't leave us hanging.

In Uzbekistan, they would not hang you.  They would tie each limb to a horse or camel and then shove hot chili's up the animal's backside.  Hopefully they don't do that so much nowadays.

By contrast, Liechtenstein was one of the first countries to abolish capital punishment.

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In Uzbekistan, they would not hang you.  They would tie each limb to a horse or camel and then shove hot chili's up the animal's backside.  Hopefully they don't do that so much nowadays.

By contrast, Liechtenstein was one of the first countries to abolish capital punishment.

Ah well 1 out of 2, I was thinking Liechtenstein and Chad. 

32 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Unscrupulous dealers used to shove a bit of ginger up an old horse's arse to make it look more lively and the practice was banned at horse fairs.

Plus Ross Greer was getting a bit fed up with it all.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Unscrupulous dealers used to shove a bit of ginger up an old horse's arse to make it look more lively and the practice was banned at horse fairs.

Feaguing was the medieval practice of putting a live eel in a horse's rectum to make it seem livelier when being sold.