Fun facts

On 26/10/2021 at 21:49, Newbornbairn said:

The theme tune for Mission Impossible - da da dah dah da da dah dah da da...is "M" "I" in Morse Code. dot dot, dash dash, dot dot, dash dash 

The theme tune for 'Some Mothers do Ave Em' spells out the title in morse code.

"Good Morning Vietnam" supposedly in Vietnam was actually filmed in Thailand.  This might seem like a trivial issue - same part of the world and all that.

Except that in Thailand they drive on the left.  So every scene in the film where they drove on the right had to be strictly choreographed on a closed film set with normal traffic excluded and tight police control.

So if any of you think filmmaking is easy - think again.

Edited by Fullerene

Austria used to be spit in half with driving left or right side of the road.  This only changed once the Nazis took over and made everyone drive on the right. The more you find out about that Hitler guy the worse he gets.

On 24/12/2021 at 16:15, Hedgecutter said:

Tonga is 24hrs ahead of American Samoa despite the two being ~580 miles apart.

The first people to see Christmas each year are citizens of Kiribati which, in the local dialect, means "Christmas".

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

The last person to be executed by guillotine was Tunisian born Hamida Djandoubi. He was convicted of kidnap, torture and murder and was the last person to be executed in western europe, with his death sentence being carried out on 10th September 1977 in Marseilles.

The last public beheading in France was carried out in 1939.

Dr Guillotin suggested there should be a more humane method of execution and the device was named after him. Ironically he was an opponent of capital punishment 

Scotland had an early form of guillotine- the Maiden. Ordered by Edinburgh Council in 1564 it is still on show in the Museum of Scotland.

The last public execution in Scotland was in 1865 on Glasgow Green.

Queens Park FC were formed 2 years later as those who had previously enjoyed a grisly spectacle now denied to them invented Scottish football as a substitute.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Scotland had an early form of guillotine- the Maiden. Ordered by Edinburgh Council in 1564 it is still on show in the Museum of Scotland.

Aye there's one in the Museo de la Tortura in Guadalest

84407847-9fd6-46d1-8802-e40134d0823f.thumb.jpg.6d9595d5495a735fc8f1f0f7049d58aa.jpg

Basically you put your head through the wee hole, the blade s rested on your neck and some guy belts the back of the blade with a big wooden mallet.

This was pretty gruesome -

f5c1a456-649a-4e6d-93c1-15963da4793c.thumb.jpg.c3b04b342df3f4cf3355d681d0866078.jpg

The iron band went round your waist and you slowly impaled yourself under your own weight.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

This was pretty gruesome -

f5c1a456-649a-4e6d-93c1-15963da4793c.thumb.jpg.c3b04b342df3f4cf3355d681d0866078.jpg

The iron band went round your waist and you slowly impaled yourself under your own weight.

I reckon if I clenched my arse cheeks I could survive for a horribly long time, like weeks. I bet the arrowhead was a bit narrower in real life.

^^^ tight arse

Going back to the driving. I found out, that Samoa changed from right to left (only country to do), as they can buy cheaper cars from AUS & NZ rather than USA.

This only happened in 2009. They announced at 06:00 then they all switched on some date (not sure). Cost them loads to change the signs, but in the long run, saved the people money.