Fun facts

15 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The man who invented aspirin, Felix Hoffmann, also invented heroin.

120 years ago you could buy children's medicine that contained both aspirin and heroin.

It cured sore throats, coughs and colds.  The great thing is that was non addictive.

After 11 years they realised that actually it was highly addictive, with customers repeatedly coming back for more cough medicine.  It has been banned ever since.

Hawaii is further away from New Zealand than it is from Scotland.

Or rather it isn't. Sorry.

But the halfway point between Scotland and New Zealand is in Japan. Pretty sure that's right.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Are you sure about that? Google maps is telling me something very different.

Whoops! Just noticed if you google Scotland to Hawaii it puts it in miles, New Zealand in kilometres. 

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

But the halfway point between Scotland and New Zealand is in Japan. Pretty sure that's right.

That is true.  After visiting New Zealand  I had a 12 flight to Tokyo followed by a 12 hour flight to Heathrow.

On the way out I crossed the international date line at midnight and went straight from Thursday to Saturday.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hawaii is on the other side of the world to Botswana.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Hawaii is on the other side of the world to Botswana.

I've got some family emigrating to New Zealand and I did think of Botswana as a place we could meet up. New Zealand is ridiculously far from anywhere, I was keeping an eye on my sister's flight on Flight radar when she came over last year as I was very bored, and after 7 hours she was still passing by the North tip of Australia.

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

That is true.  After visiting New Zealand  I had a 12 flight to Tokyo followed by a 12 hour flight to Heathrow.

On the way out I crossed the international date line at midnight and went straight from Thursday to Saturday.

The international date line stuff is cool as f**k.

When I went to New Zealand a few years back, I came back via the US. I arrived in LA and got into my bed in the hotel an hour before I checked out of my hotel in Christchurch for my flight to LA.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

When I went to New Zealand a few years back, I came back via the US. I arrived in LA and got into my bed in the hotel an hour before I checked out of my hotel in Christchurch for my flight to LA.

One time when I was Anchorage Airport, I was able to say "This time today I was at Tokyo zoo".

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

To help the Nazi frontline soldiers stay awake during Blitzkrieg they were issued with what is commonly known now as crystal meth.

Yip, it was called Pervitin.

pervitin-thumb-570x392-123230.jpg

I read an interesting book a couple of years ago about this called Blitzed. The author also alleged that Germany's mono-testicled tyrant spent much of WW2 smashed off his pus on heroin and cocaine and that he pretty much lost interest after the Stalingrad debacle and just went though the motions of running the country.

Edited by Paul Kersey

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I flew from Fiji to LA on my birthday, meaning I had 2 birthdays in the same year, but only got older by one year.  I also got pished twice 😁

9 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

MacLean, Texas, has a museum devoted to "devil rope" - barbed wire. More than 7000 'varieties' of barbed wire have been identified.

It is a strangely enjoyable Museum, got quite a bit of Route 66 bits and bobs in it as well.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've posted this on P&B before but it's one of my favourites. The girl written about in Pulp's epoch-defining belter of a tune Common People is now married to Yannis Varoufakis.

William Shatner did a cover of that one with help from Joe Jackson.