Fun facts

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The term "Caddy" in golf actually comes from Mary Queen of Scots. Cadets used to carry all the shit around and with the French pronunciation of cadet the golf Caddy was born. I learned this from Michael Caine the other day.  

Not a lot of people know that.*

* I know that’s what you meant but there’s some thick cnuts on here who need it spelt out.

On 26/07/2021 at 22:50, btb said:

Carlisle United were briefly top of Division 1 down south during the early 70s.

I worked alongside a guy who kept a copy of the league table in his wallet to show all & sundry...

I've a feeling that was the same season that York City and Man United played in the same division. About 1975 or 6, I think. 

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

On 23/06/2021 at 18:01, Hedgecutter said:

France's longest border is with Brazil (450 miles long), followed by Belgium (408 miles long)

For those miffed, French Guiana is a single territorial collectivity of France.

Oh, I'm having that one!

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) had two fingers of his right hand shot off during the D-Day landings in World War 2. Whenever you see him on screen pushing a button, it's always with his left hand. He usually kept his right hand either behind his back or curled in a ball so nobody could see his missing fingers.

tumblr_oxvorlbkRh1qmob6ro1_400.gifv

If memory serves he was shot 6 or 7 times on D-Day, supposedly by his own side. I mean I know Star Trek V was bad but really.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) had two fingers of his right hand shot off during the D-Day landings in World War 2. Whenever you see him on screen pushing a button, it's always with his left hand. He usually kept his right hand either behind his back or curled in a ball so nobody could see his missing fingers.

The actor Eddie Paskey was used as his hand double when required.  Eddie played Lieutenant Leslie in numerous episodes but seldom spoke.  (You get paid more and get a screen credit if you speak.) His character was killed in the episode Obsession but then reappeared in the following episode.  Normally he would read the script beforehand  and make sure he was not around when a red shirt had to be zapped.

James Doohan invented the Klingon language.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Spock would get really angry with Scotty as the left handed Vulcan salute meant something very different.

The theme tune to the original Star Trek series had lyrics. 

Alexander Courage wrote the music and got paid whenever the show aired. Gene Roddenberry - without telling Courage - wrote some lyrics to go along with the music. As such he claimed to be the co-writer of the theme tune and received 50% of the money for the theme tune. Even though the lyrics were never sung on the show, Roddenberry got as much as Courage for the theme tune. All perfectly legal.

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Looks like he only had one finger shot off, though that did make him uniquely qualified to do the "Live Long and Prosper" sign.

6844603f89da72fa7c503dc05f21d6b3.jpg