G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

On the game, was textbook Scottish team playing superior continental side stuff. 

Start quickly, get in their faces, series of corners, one or two half chances until the superior side get their foot on the ball, kill the intensity, dampen the atmosphere until they’re in total control. At which point, they just pick you off. 

These days !

It has not always been so !

@Bairnardo, I’ve had a good kip and I can honestly say I’m still absolutely fine with getting pumped 3-0 by fourteen times European Cup winners Real Madrid. And I say that without any pretence whatsoever.

Sorry mate.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

As has been alluded to before, travelling away supports for whatever reason aren't really a thing in Spain, seen someone saying on Twitter last night that the couple of hundred Madrid fans were mainly UK based supporters, clearly the equivalent of the English tourist league fans who attend one game a season and tie it in with a stadium tour etc.

I can't remember who but I vaguely recall someone on SKY explain that it due to the vast size of Spain and distances required for away supports, other than maybe the island clubs of Real Mallorca and Tenerife etc I don't really buy that, France, Germany and Italy for example are of similar size and have clubs all over the terrain of their landscape and you see healthy away supports at most of the matches you see on television there, particularly in the Bundesliga, unsure of the specific reasons for it but, just my opinion there isn't quite the same passion and fervour in some La Liga matches and in general, possibly due to the lack of away fans etc than from the other main European leagues. 

^^^^Angling-for-a-bigger-allocation-of-away-tickets-for-Premiership-games type post

For Madrid fans the game last night would be no different to visiting Club Brugge or Sheriff or any of the other clubs from smaller nations of Europe they play in these routine group stages every year.
The idea that Parkhead is an ‘iconic’ stadium to anyone outside the UK and Ireland is mad.
This stage of the tournament is drawn out and boring, thankfully they are changing it in a couple of years.

Yes its a nothing game for Real Madrid in terms of prestige, there would be little incentive to go there for a group match. The idea that Celtic park is iconic outside of the uk is laughable.

Real are also renowned for having a dreadful away support. Generally when they play their biggest match of the season at Barca they only take a handful.

The how many fans or how loud you sung chat is good though.

22 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Hardly saying he wants Madrid, he was asked how he would feel if we came out the draw together, he answered “If we get Real, then great. That would be a nice one to tick off the list, but I’m sure whoever we get will be top opponents.“

Revenge didn’t go well for Wee Defiant McGregor.

B5C2F3B6-C3F2-455D-BAEE-1848E27C38C5.png

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Revenge didn’t go well for Wee Defiant McGregor.

B5C2F3B6-C3F2-455D-BAEE-1848E27C38C5.png

You do realise that when you read these articles, the actual quotes from the player involved usually bares no resemblance to the sensational headline.

It has always been thus.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

I’m not too disheartened by last night. First 45 we were very decent I thought, plenty to learn from in second for many who aren’t used to that level. Said I would be content with 3rd place and reaffirmed my feelings last night even more so after Shaktar beating Leipzig away. 

13 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

@Bairnardo, I’ve had a good kip and I can honestly say I’m still absolutely fine with getting pumped 3-0 by fourteen times European Cup winners Real Madrid. And I say that without any pretence whatsoever.

Sorry mate.

Mental.

Just like Hearts supporters being 'happy' losing away to Zurich, this shite underlines why Scottish football is a joke. Happy Losers everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Lex said:

For Madrid fans the game last night would be no different to visiting Club Brugge or Sheriff or any of the other clubs from smaller nations of Europe they play in these routine group stages every year.
The idea that Parkhead is an ‘iconic’ stadium to anyone outside the UK and Ireland is mad.
This stage of the tournament is drawn out and boring, thankfully they are changing it in a couple of years.

Whilst I’m under no illusion that CP Isn’t really a top ticket for the football tourist I think comparing it to a team who are in a an unrecognised breakaway state is trying way way too hard. If you combine the capacity of both grounds together it doesn’t even match our season book holders, have this reply as a bite though if you wish.

14 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Yet another embarrassment to Scottish football 

Who exactly is embarrassed?

You? 

Besides we are told on here Celtic qualifying for the CL isn’t good for Scottish football, so surely us losing a game can’t be bad for it either