G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

9 minutes ago, Lex said:

Is anyone surprised that the second best team in Denmark have beaten the second best team in Scotland?
Surely they aren’t. I’m just surprised it took them extra time do it.

The way some seem to be going on you'd think Celtic were playing a pub team.

21 minutes ago, allyg1977 said:
31 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:
1st June 2012, Rangers went down 3 leagues in 5 mins. I’d say that’s a bigger fall from grace tbqhwy.

And we went 3 leagues down but we have came back up and we will rule now u had ur chance to rule for the next 20 years shame ur owners won't put their hands in their pockets and build on success they would rather u failed in Europe

What success have Falkirk had ?

And don’t forget, Rangers supporters had the chance to save their club and decided to let it die instead of digging deep.

Celtic humped out of Europe with Anthony Ralston as their best player in the match, yet the biggest minter appears in the form of a Rangers supporting Auchinleck Talbot fan accusing someone called "Grangemouth Bairn" of being a Celtic fan 😂

15 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The way some seem to be going on you'd think Celtic were playing a pub team.

They were a really poor team. Celtic created the better chances by far over the two legs. However their fitness levels were far superior to Celtic's tonight. That's ultimately what decided the tie.

While this is hilariously funny, listening to Ange being grilled on the radio while I was driving home there actually had me feeling sorry for him.

He has been hung out to dry by an inept board that have overseen a cataclysmic collapse and he is left picking up the pieces.

Reading between the lines, his comments are still pointing the finger at the board not getting players in quick enough. If that’s him already having to resort to public pleading with them then he is fucked.

Anyway, get it up yeez.

44 minutes ago, allyg1977 said:
54 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:
1st June 2012, Rangers went down 3 leagues in 5 mins. I’d say that’s a bigger fall from grace tbqhwy.

And we went 3 leagues down but we have came back up and we will rule now had ur chance to rule for the next 20 years shame ur owners won't put their hands in their pockets and build on success they would rather u failed in Europe

Abbreviating 3 and 4 letter words is a sign of laziness you c.

Right.

That didn't go quite to plan. 

Take two.

Onwards and... ehhhh... downwards. Denmark is a fairly common destination on any Aussie backpacker's European jaunt, but the Czech Republic is 2nd on the list... and I can't see Ange going to Amsterdam this time around. Sadly for Ange, Jablonec is 100km+ north of the Pivo & Prozzies of Praha😠. I don't think it's even possible to have a J.Arthur over the "Czech Casting" website in Jablonec, as that's banned in Czech territory. The town is as the foot of the Jizera Mountains. I thought the jizz era was scheduled to start in May, when the whole East End of Glesca was going to run out of Kleenex in celebration of 10-in-a-row.... without even needing to look at the Czech Casting website. Jablonec was historically an almost entirely German town, on the Czech/Poland/Germany border, but the Germans strangely seem to have left in the late 1940s for some reason🤔. Curious.

FK Jablonec.

Founded in 1945. Never had a dinner. Well, almost never. Only a single two-year spell in the old top division in Czechoslovakia. One 2nd place in the Czech League (09/10) and two Czech Cup wins (1998 & 2013). They play in a 6,000 stadium. Their Wikipedia page shows their kit as being an exact replica of a 1978 Spoonburners get-up - I'm almost sure I can see a Bukta logo on it. They had nobody in the Czech squad for the recent Euro finals. Five Czech League sides had players in that squad. They have just one Slovak and a guy from Ghana as non-Czech players. They lost 1st-time-out last season  to Dunajska Streda - the ethnic Hungarian club over the Slovak border. The previous season they were pumped out by Pyunik of Armenia🤣. They're diddies and this should be straightforward for the mighty Celts.

There is one glaring problem with that analysis though. They finished 3rd last season. 5 points adrift of runners-up Sparta Prague. They beat Sparta 1-0 at home and lost 2-1 away. That's a wee bit better than Celtic did against the same opposition. They managed a group stage win away to Dinamo Kiev in 18/19, though they finished bottom of the group. They've been consistent in the Czech League, going 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd in the last 4 years, but they improved their W-D-L record significantly last season.

They opened their Czech League campaign at the weekend with a 1-0 win over the once mighty Banik Ostrava. They play 4-5-1, with the 6'3" veteran Martin Dolezal leading the line. He has a handful of Czech caps. They do have two reasonably well-known players on the books, but both were on the bench for the season opener. Halfback or central defender Tomas Hübschman was in the Czech squad that should have won Euro '04 but somehow lost to the feckin' Greeks (copyright: Father Ted) in the semi-finals. He only played 45 minutes in the win over Germany, but he eventually won 58 caps. He's now 39. Diminutive winger Vaclav Pilar scored against Russia and Greece in the Czechs' run to the Euro '12 quarter-finals. He's now 32. Both veterans started the last pre-season friendly (against Sparta Prague B😂) and Pilar scored. They make the short trip to play recent stragglers Mlada Boleslav away on Saturday. 

Considering what he inherited and when he inherited it, Ange gets a pass on the Midtjylland loss. Losing to Jablonec, however, will be unacceptable to the masses.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth
Typo

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Starfelt couldn’t be registered in time and Furuhashi is in quarantine.

Shaw was a signing agreed in Jan so was always coming and Uhroghide is a prospect and was never expected to come straight into the 1st team.

What we needed was quality and experience in key areas particularly the defence prior to these qualifiers and we have brought in no one to address that. That’s mismanagement of the highest order. 

I genuinely thought we had hit rock bottom last season, i guess there is still some storeys to fall. Feel sorry for the manager though inheriting this shitshow and he is now paying for us fawning over Eddie Howe.

"rock bottom" = second in the league. How I wish our bottoms had been as rocky as that.

8 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Right.

That didn't go quite to plan. 

Take two.

Onwards and... ehhhh... downwards. Denmark is a fairly common destination on any Aussie backpacker's European jaunt, but the Czech Republic is 2nd on the list... and I can't see Ange going to Amsterdam this time around. Sadly for Ange, Jablonec is 100km+ north of the Pivo & Prozzies of Praha😠. I don't think it's even possible to have a J.Arthur over the "Czech Casting" website in Jablonec, as that's banned in Czech territory. The town is as the foot of the Jizera Mountains. I thought the jizz era was scheduled to start in May, when the whole East End of Glesca was going to run out of Kleenex in celebration of 10-in-a-row.... without even needing to look at the Czech Casting website. Jablonec was historically an almost entirely German town, on the Czech/Poland/Germany border, but the Germans strangely seem to have left in the late 1940s for some reason🤔. Curious.

FK Jablonec.

Founded in 1945. Never had a dinner. Well, almost never. Only a single two-year spell in the old top division in Czechoslovakia. One 2nd place in the Czech League (09/10) and two Czech Cup wins (1998 & 2013). They play in a 6,000 stadium. Their Wikipedia page shows their kit as being an exact replica of a 1978 Spoonburners get-up - I'm almost sure I can see a Bukta logo on it. They had nobody in the Czech squad for the recent Euro finals. Five Czech League sides had players in that squad. They have just one Slovak and a guy from Ghana as non-Czech players. They lost 1st-time-out last season  to Dunajska Streda - the ethnic Hungarian club over the Slovak border. The previous season they were pumped out by Pyunik of Armenia🤣. They're diddies and this should be straightforward for the mighty Celts.

There is one glaring problem with that analysis though. They finished 3rd last season. 5 points adrift of runners-up Sparta Prague. They beat Sparta 1-0 at home and lost 2-1 away. That's a wee bit better than Celtic did against the same opposition. They managed a group stage win away to Dinamo Kiev in 18/19, though they finished bottom of the group. They've been consistent in the Czech League, going 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd in the last 4 years, but they improved their W-D-L record significantly last season.

They opened their Czech League campaign at the weekend with a 1-0 win over the once mighty Banik Ostrava. They play 4-5-1, with the 6'3" veteran Martin Dolezal leading the line. He has a handful of Czech caps. They do have two reasonably well-known players on the books, but both were on the bench for the season opener. Halfback or central defender Tomas Hübschman was in the Czech squad that should have won Euro '04 but somehow lost to the feckin' Greeks (copyright: Father Ted) in the semi-finals. He only played 45 minutes in the win over Germany, but he eventually won 58 caps. He's now 39. Diminutive winger Vaclav Pilar scored against Russia and Greece in the Czechs' run to the Euro '12 quarter-finals. He's now 32. Both veterans started the last pre-season friendly (against Sparta Prague B😂) and Pilar scored. They make the short trip to play recent stragglers Mlada Boleslav away on Saturday. 

Considering what he inherited and when he inherited it, Ange gets a pass on the Midtjylland loss. Losing to Jablonec, however, will be unacceptable to the masses.

Now, now.

I thought we looked better organised, had better movement than last season and players seemed to know what was expected of them. Compare that to the shambles last season and its an improvement for me. It was obvious the board would never get anything moving fast enough to get new players in time for these qualifyers, they havent done it in past few seasons when managers were already in place so it was never happening now. 

We just need to weather the expected storm of negativity and start getting the new players signed playing and get the new players for the positions we clearly need in as soon as we can to join them.