2021/22 PREDICTIONS

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2021 at 17:35, Hursty said:

I expected Killie to be favourites but didn't think they would be that short.  Not sure I agree with Ayr being that much shorter than the other 3 in the bottom group, very hard to split the bottom 4 I'd say   

This is the same McBookie who closed the book on Billy Stark becoming the Ayr United manager just before Ian McCall got appointed. 

With the league campaign under a week away now, it is probably a good time to make predictions.

Kilmarnock
Dunfermline
Raith Rovers
Hamilton Accies
ICT
Partick Thistle
QoS
Arbroath
Ayr United
Greenock Morton

Notoriously bad at this but here goes

Dunfermline

Partick

Kilmarnock

Ayr

Inverness

Raith

Morton

Queens

Hamilton

Arbroath

Be aware though, when I predict your team to be champions it usually means a relegation battle. Sorry Pars

It also means Arbroath will have the cigars out by February. You can thank me later Smokies

Really hard one to call this year, while Kilmarnock are the favourites there squad strength isn't close to that of United and Hearts of previous seasons, I was very impressed with the business that Inverness done early in the window but truthfully there defence doesn't look great, and Dodds comments are a bit odd. 

Raith look to have one of the leagues best defences, however I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from, any team at this level would miss Hendry, but Mathews being missing for the start of the season is also a blow. 

While we beat Partick 4-2 they looked very handy going forward, albeit very bad at the back, however I'm sure Bell won't play everyweek. 

Aye and Morton do not look in a good place, they're for the bottom two I reckon. 

Arbroath and QoTS look better than Ayr and Morton

Kilmarnock 

Dunfermline 

Partick

Raith 

Hamilton 

Inverness

Qots

Arbroath 

Ayr

Morton 

We’re pretty decent but it’s the same story. Need a good couple of loans to help us get goals. Problem at the start of last season was playing well and being on top, not taking chances, then when the other team had their spell being on top they would take their chance. And our heads went down, Jack Hamilton changed that. We knew we could go ahead or get back into games with him on the park.

See how we get on, Nicky Low has provided a whole lot of creativity and Linn looks like he will be trusted to play the majority of games. Kind of never got played much the start of last season then when he come into the team he was superb and a big part of our excellent run, looks as fit as ever.

This is hard to call but 

1. Kilmarnock 

2. Dunfermline 

3. Hamilton

4. Inverness 

5. Thistle 

6. Raith 

7. Ayr

8. Arbroath

9. QoTS

10. Morton 

The league definitely looks of a lower quality than recent seasons. Some squads look frighteningly bad without more recruitment this week.

From the two Pars games I've seen I'm genuinely excited about the season and how Grant-ball develops. We'll definitely score goals but we'll definitely ship a load too.

Partick are the only other team I've seen so far and they looked decent going forward but completely woeful at the back.

Mad to predict anything in this crazy league but my biased stab at it.

1. Pars 

2. Killie 

3. Raith 

4. ICT 

5. Accies 

6. Partick 

7. Ayr 

8. Arbroath 

9. QotS 

10. Morton

Oh what the hell .....

The top four pretty well should include: Killie, Dunfermline, Partick and Raith Rovers.  Out of these the league winner will probably be a battle between Killie and The Pars.  Partick and Raith could be vulnerable from Inverness and Accies in mid-league.  It wouldn't surprise me for Killie to have a shaky start but I'm sure that they'll eventually get their shit together.

It's pretty hard to think that the bottom four won't include: Arbroath, Morton, Ayr and Queens - it usually comes down to finances at the end of the day.  I'd like to think (surprise surprise) that Queens might be capable of giving their fans a less fraught season for a change - yet another near total re-build - and by all accounts we have a lot of pace up top and some decent midfield options.  The worry as always is our defence - if we put 10 along the goal line at corners we just might be OK.

That leaves Inverness and Accies - of these two I think that Accies (despite all of their fans  predictions of doom and gloom) could be capable of sneaking into the top 4 place; Accies are usually good at bringing through talented youngsters even if they have lost a few of late.  Wee Dodds talks a good game but ....

Can't wait.  Be interesting to check folks views after the first 3 games or so as the League Cup is a notoriously bad yardstick for league form.

I think we’ll be ok as we have good options up front and still missing McKay so I think the goals will come regularly when he’s in the penalty box for us.

Pars or Killie will win it.

Might as well give this a go with less than a week till the first game although I think every team is still looking to add to their squad.

1. Kilmarnock - I see Kilmarnock and Dunfermline as the only realistic league winners. Given the edge to Killie on the basis Tommy Wright is a better manager than Peter Grant as well as the talk about Killie keeping the same playing budget as last season which should mean the remaining quality they add to their squad makes all the difference.

2. Dunfermline - Their attacking midfield and striking options look the best in the league at the moment. I think the middle of the park looks light from a defensive side if Wilson is out for any length of time. Also, they were a decent side on paper last season but their Achilles heel appeared to be in goals and in the dugout. I’m not convinced that Mehmet and Grant represent a sizeable enough upgrade on OFW and Crawford to see them win the league at the moment but I think they’ll definitely be improved and in the mix.

3. Partick Thistle - TBH, after the top 2, I think the next 5/6 sides are probably in with a shout or a top 4 spot. Thistle look suspect defensively but in Smith, Turner, Tiffoney, Graham and Rudden they should have enough firepower to stay in the top half of the league. Champions from League One always tend to have a good first season up.

4. Raith Rovers - I see us as finishing somewhere between 4th-7th. Defensively we look sound but think we are lacking a bit in the final third to push any higher than 4th. A lot will depend on the fitness of Lewis Vaughan. We have a few relative unknowns in Poplatnik, Varian and Riley-Snow along with players relying on the coaching of McGlynn to recapture previous form in Keatings, Zanatta and Connolly. That’s a lot of what ifs and why I can’t see us higher than 4th and worry we could get dragged a bit lower. However, MacDonald, Musonda, Bene, Tumilty, Matthews, Spencer, Tait and Vaughan is a good nucleus from the side that did so well last season so I still feel we have enough about us to stay out any serious relegation trouble.

5. Inverness - Another side that is hard to predict, mainly due to the fact I have no idea what Billy Dodds will be like as a manager. Gardyne and McKay look like good signings but Broadfoot is underwhelming. Interesting to see if they get the Duku from the first few months of the season or the empty jersey we saw in the last 6 months. Hedging my bets putting them in mid table but they look to have enough quality in the squad to be pushing up the way rather than down.

6. Hamilton - The biggest unknown for me. I didn’t see much/any of them last season and looking at their team from Saturday there are so many youngsters it is difficult to predict the quality of their squad. They usually tend to do better than I expect but I’ll go for 6th, probably with a decent end to the season after a change of manager half way through.

7. Ayr - They will be hard working, organised and horrible to watch but probably horrible to play against too. The quality (or lack of) in this league means a limited but hardworking side can actually do quite well. Relying on unknowns for the key attacking positions which is a gamble and will obviously be in big trouble if they don’t work out but I think they’ll be fine.

8. Arbroath - Same back 4 for about 100 years now. Solid and experienced side and if they can keep him fit, Low will be an important addition. No problems back to middle but the same problem for them every season in that, aside from Bobby Linn, they lack quality in the final third. Reliant on loan signings again to get them goals but Campbell knows what he’s doing and will see them safe again.

9. Queen of the South - QOS fans seem a lot more positive than they did before last season and they’ve had a decent League Cup campaign so this prediction could look very silly at the end of the season. However, my prediction is basically just based on the fact I don’t know a lot of their players. A lot of unknown quantities in terms of signings from the lower leagues and down south and the squad at the moment looks very light and inexperienced which will be a problem if they don’t get off to a good start.

10. Greenock Morton - Can only judge on games against us but they were the poorest side I watched us play last season and I was surprised they stayed up in the end. They don’t look to have made any significant upgrades to the side and look like they will have the same struggles scoring goals as last season.

I’m not really convinced any of those predictions will be right tbh, the league looks very open and competitive this season.

Tl;dr version: I would probably realistically group the league into 3 sections.

1. Title Contenders (Killie, Dunfermline)

2. Play off contenders (Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, Inverness, Hamilton)

3. Relegation Fight (Ayr, Arbroath, Queen of the South, Morton)

There is always usually a side that surprises by being better or worse than most people expected. I can see a side moving up or down one of the above groups (I.e Ayr to play off contenders) but no chance any side moves up/down two groups. 

Edited by R.R.FC

I have a feeling Dunfermline are going to win and Kilmarnock and Raith will be in the top 4. Aside from that I think it’s too hard to predict. 

From an Arbroath perspective, we could end up anywhere from 5th - 10th dependant on getting a decent loan or two in.

10 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Tl;dr version: I would probably realistically group the league into 3 sections.

1. Title Contenders (Killie, Dunfermline)

2. Play off contenders (Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, Inverness, Hamilton)

3. Relegation Fight (Ayr, Arbroath, Queen of the South, Morton)

There is always usually a side that surprises by being better or worse than most people expected. I can see a side moving up or down one of the above groups (I.e Ayr to play off contenders) but no chance any side moves up/down two groups. 

Hard to argue against these three groups RRFC. 👍