2021/22 PREDICTIONS

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

My word.

I expected Killie to be favourites but didn't think they would be that short.  Not sure I agree with Ayr being that much shorter than the other 3 in the bottom group, very hard to split the bottom 4 I'd say   

On 05/07/2021 at 17:26, Broken Algorithms said:

Hendry (arguably player of the season for the whole of the division last year)

Yes, if the argument was - "No. No he wasn't."

Spoiler

E4ZlSahXMAEphX_?format=jpg&name=small

Kilmarnock

Inverness

Partick

Dunfermline

Kirkcaldy

Hamlton

Dumfries

Arbroath

Ayr

Greenock

Killie have recruited well on the face of it and also have the financial ability to still recruit a decent no 9 & strengthen in January if required . Based on squads quoted so far, the League looks far weaker than in recent seasons.

As is tradition I'm posting this before the League Cup gets properly going to not be a shitebag, but there's going to be even more baseless guesswork than usual with so many teams still being so far from having their starting XIs ready.

You'd have thought if Kilmarnock ever came down it would be in turmoil with a terrible manager, looking at spending years down due to the extent of the rebuild needed, possibly even at risk of going into freefall and collapsing into another relegation battle. Instead they've got the best manager in the league by a mile. The squad isn't particularly exciting or obviously too good for the division the way Hearts, Dundee United and Ross County have been in recent seasons, but there are also no glaring weaknesses for all that I'm not sure about that midfield. Unspectacular but solid might be enough in a season where pretty much every club has big question marks.

Hamilton are this season's most obvious shout for 'f**k knows'. If they make a credible title challenge I won't be surprised. If they collapse into successive relegations I won't be surprised. Some of the signings are bizarre - surely Andy Ryan isn't going to start every week - but they've retained some of the players who were actually good enough for the top flight and have more to come in still so it's all over the place really. If the likes of Odoffin to end up leaving later in the window though they'll start to look really low on quality.

While Raith don't really look noticeably weaker than last season taking the squad as a whole and still have more signings to come, there's the obvious issue that Regan Hendry is away and bringing in a player as good as him just isn't going to happen. Hard to say how big an impact that will have but there's no reason to think they're going to massively collapse or anything. Defence looking better than last season and signings in midfield and up front still to come.

Dunfermline's squad looks fine and arguably better than last season depending what defenders they bring in over the rest of the window, but Peter Grant is a surprising appointment. On one level Crawford was clearly out of his depth and they still managed to make the promotion playoffs so that's cause for optimism, but as Grant's weekly meltdowns about referees over the last two seasons show the man is a seethe merchant who does not handle pressure well. He's talked up their ability to challenge for the title which puts more pressure on but if they hit a bad run of form at any point you could see the rails coming off.

ICT have a better squad than last season, but there's the obvious question mark of whether Dodds is actually a manager. If he turns out to be a Richie Foran figure all bets are off, and while they ended up comfortably closer to 4th than 9th last season they were right in amongst the relegation battle before a late rally. If Dodds has any kind of competence that should be clearly be a comfortable mid-table squad at worst though.

Queen of the South are a ridiculous club to predict. Pretty much universally tipped for 10th at the start of last season, fully living up to that until Christmas then going on a ridiculous run of form that made them safe and had them briefly threatening a promotion playoff challenge, before levelling off to mediocrity. A lot of unproven gambles in the signings again, but this time some of those gambles seem to be on players with pedigree at a lower level who actually stood out like Paton,  rather than the proven failures at this level they stunk the squad out with like Buchanan. Then again, they have signed Ally Roy who entirely fits that latter description and they're reliant on players untested at this level coming good. Their remaining signings could easily be the difference between 5th & 10th considering the impact some of their loanees had.

It's hard to say what to expect from Arbroath as the loan signings still to come later in the window will be critical. They've done very well with their loan recruitment over the last couple of seasons to Campbell's credit, but they need that to be a success again. Having avoided the playoffs by one point, all it would take is getting the centre forward recruitment wrong and they're humped - see the difference in their results with and without Hamilton last season.

Ayr have upgraded the goalkeeper on last season but have signed some utter shite elsewhere and need more in midfield and up front. It's probably a weaker squad than last season as it stands. Having only avoided 9th on goal difference last season, it's hard to see any cause for optimism there unless they really recruit impressively with their last few signings. 

Morton had a squad in desperate need of upgrading, having limped into 9th with only one win in the eight league games under Gus MacPherson, only two wins in the last 19 games of the league season, only six league wins all season. Whatever way you want to slice the stats up that's an appalling record and clearly a squad needing gutted. For all that there are at least four or five signings to go, if anything the squad is even poorer than last season as it stands. There's a probable upgrade at centre forward although even that comes with the caveat that it's just replacing proven shite with someone unproven either way, while there's nothing out wide, an obviously weaker central midfield and the defence largely remaining the same. Those points by themselves would be enough to make Morton favourites for 10th before considering that the one of the best goalkeepers in the league last season, a goalkeeper who will definitely win you points over the course of a season, has been replaced by the worst goalkeeper in the league last season by a mile who will definitely cost you several points over a season.

Despite the obvious weaknesses in the squad, with several signings still to come and some decent Championship players already signed up it wouldn't really have been a big stretch to see Morton managing to be a mediocre outfit who could bore their way to 6th or 7th place if a decent Championship goalkeeper was added to that mix. Instead MacPherson has added a known liability. When you're already likely to be a relegation battling outfit you can't get away with a dud goalkeeper: if Jack Hamilton is first choice all season then it's going to take another club having a Morton 13/14 level disaster of a season for anyone else to finish bottom, and there are no obvious candidates for that.

There are obvious reasons for optimism for Partick. They have momentum, they've signed up the players who made such a big difference to them in the run-in last season as well as some other decent additions, McCall knows the division well and has form for taking a newly promoted club straight into the top half. At the same time though, those are several of the same core of the players who spent a lot of last season looking in serious danger of finishing in the bottom half of League One. You'd asssume that the late season form is a truer reflection of the level they're at, with the start to the season being the blip rather than the strong ending being a purple patch, but there are still question marks there.

Based on all that, with the caveat that there are still signings to come for everyone:

1. Kilmarnock

2. Raith

3. Inverness CT

4. Partick

5. Dunfermline

6. Hamilton

7. Arbroath

8. Queen of the South

9. Ayr

10. Morton

I don’t think any team particularly stands out this season, Kilmarnock should win it but I certainly don’t think they look particularly great - everyone else just looks different levels of shit. 

1. Kilmarnock 

2. Inverness 

3. Dunfermline 

4. Hamilton Accies 

5. Raith Rovers 

6. Partick Thistle 

7. Queen of the South 

8. Arbroath 

9. Greenock Morton 

10. Ayr United 

1. Kilmarnock 

Unspectacular, but solid across the park. And will probably have a better depth of squad.

ICT 

Similar to Kilmarnock, with fewer weaknesses than the rest. But not the overall depth.

3. Dunfermline

Best attack in the league. Not strong enough at the back.

4. Raith rovers

Will be in the middle pack, going for the last playoff spot. Not as strong as last season, but a stronger overall squad, than the rest.

5. Patrick thistle

Good looking at attack. Further back not ready to be near the top. But see them getting there, over the next couple of transfer windows.

6. Hamilton

Probably shite 

7. Queen of the south 

Similar to last season. Relegation battlers. But with some good spells 

8. Arbroath

I think they're running out of steam at championship level, and beginning to decline. 

9. Greenock Morton 

Just as pish as last season. So no change.

10. Ayr United

Slowly falling apart since McCall left. Hard to see any quality left in the side. Sad to see this slow car crash. But hopefully change is coming sooner rather than later, for the Ayr lads.

Dunfermline will win the league, if it starts to look ropey in January a pad of Germany's will come over an efficiently win the league.

And 8/1 is lovely odds I'll have that thanks very much.

Edited by 101

20 hours ago, 101 said:

Dunfermline will win the league, if it starts to look ropey in January a pad of Germany's will come over an efficiently win the league.

And 8/1 is lovely odds I'll have that thanks very much.

When I saw that 8/1 the other day I thought “Peter Grant is going to come round and trash your shop if he sees that”. 

On 11/07/2021 at 16:28, Chubbychops said:

1) Kilmarnock

2) Dunfermline

3) Hamilton

4) ICT

5) Raith

6) Partick

7) QOS

8 Ayr

9)Arbroath

10) Morton

Kilmarnock 

Hamilton 

Inverness CT 

Dunfermline 

Raith 

Queen of South 

Partick 

Ayr

Greenock Morton 

Arbroath 

14 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Kilmarnock 

Hamilton 

Inverness CT 

Dunfermline 

Raith 

Queen of South 

Partick 

Ayr

Greenock Morton 

Arbroath 

That would be my guess atm.

McCall must improve our defence quickly to avoid another relegation battle.

On 11/07/2021 at 07:58, Juanhourjoe said:

1. Kilmarnock 

Unspectacular, but solid across the park. And will probably have a better depth of squad.

ICT 

Similar to Kilmarnock, with fewer weaknesses than the rest. But not the overall depth.

3. Dunfermline

Best attack in the league. Not strong enough at the back.

4. Raith rovers

Will be in the middle pack, going for the last playoff spot. Not as strong as last season, but a stronger overall squad, than the rest.

5. Patrick thistle

Good looking at attack. Further back not ready to be near the top. But see them getting there, over the next couple of transfer windows.

6. Hamilton

Probably shite 

7. Queen of the south 

Similar to last season. Relegation battlers. But with some good spells 

8. Arbroath

I think they're running out of steam at championship level, and beginning to decline. 

9. Greenock Morton 

Just as pish as last season. So no change.

10. Ayr United

Slowly falling apart since McCall left. Hard to see any quality left in the side. Sad to see this slow car crash. But hopefully change is coming sooner rather than later, for the Ayr lads.

Pretty strange comment to make about running out of steam when if you took 2021 alone I’m sure we were in the top 4, possibly top 3, our strongest performance has been this last half of the season past? 

Although of course we could get relegated and will start as favourites for it...

Edited by 1320Lichtie