2021/22 PREDICTIONS

I think Dunfermline look shit hot. 

Todorov and Wighton. Thomas and O Hara on the wings. Only thing letting them down last year was their manager and keeper. No overly keen on the manager and no sure if they’ve changed their goalie but there’s potential there. 

I have no doubt this will be wildly wrong, especially about my own team; I have no idea whether Doddsball is going to be brilliant or brutal at this point. I should add that the late recruitment could change some of my opinions but bugger it, it’s not that deep.

1. Kilmarnock- look to have recruited well, only really lacking an obvious goalscorer however youd expect Cameron to do well. Polworth will be player of the year, far too good for this league. They also have the benefit of Tommy Wright, who’s sides tend to play the kind of disciplined, consistent style which gets you out of this league (see Robbie Neilson)

2. Inverness Caledonian Thistle - think it’s between us and Pars for second, however I’m going to tip us because I am unashamedly biased and naively optimistic. I think Mckay’s goals are going to be enough to fire us towards the right end. If you offered me Billy Mckay or a Nikolay Todorov, I’d take Mckay every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. Our League Cup showings have obviously been disappointing, however the only manager to ever get us out of a group stage was Richie Foran the year we had to endure Billy King and Jake Mulraney our wide so forgive me if I don’t read much into it. Doddsball certainly isn’t going to be dull, that’s for sure, but I’m going to bank on our good recruitment serving us well.

3. Dunfermline - Have recruited well, and look to have a strong squad. Will be title contenders. I think Todorov will disappoint you Pars fans, sorry not sorry - kind of hope I’m wrong though as he was sensational tail end of last season and is thoroughly likeable. Oh, and Rovers fans hate him so there you go. But aye, Pars have quality all over the park and wouldn’t be surprised to see them higher, especially with the gifts of Kai Kennedy added to the ranks. 

4. Raith Rovers - maybe a bit cheeky putting the fourth considering I’m actually underwhelmed by their signings. I think I’ll have the top 3 right and 4th - 6th could end up in any order. Plumped for Raith as they were very impressive last season and have a very good manager. Their signings are somewhat proven at this level but scream mid table championship at the same time.

5. Partick Thistle - I’m really not sure what to make of Thistle - do you base it off of the side who struggled massively for the majority of last season in League One, or who ended the season so brilliantly? I think the reality is somewhere in the middle, and Thistle will flirt with the playoffs. I also think they may pull a few rabbits out of hats before the start of the season to strengthen the squad. 

6. Hamilton Accies - welcome back, Hamilton - it’s been too long. I think Accies will struggle initially, recent seasons (Hearts aside) have shown us it’s difficult to turn around from the hangover of a relegation unless you clear the decks, a la Kilmarnock (maybe I’m contradicting myself here but oh well). Reliance on youngsters and some pretty poor recruitment so far may see a season of transition.

7. Queen of the South - I think Queens might surprise us all to be honest. I like the recruitment strategy this summer - signing some promising young players and beginning to look like they may even be thinking beyond the end of the season which is most unlike them. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them slightly higher, Paton seems to be a great signing by all accounts. Alternatively, they may be absolute gash.

8. Arbroath - I’d expect a few more loans to come in at Gayfield to boost the ranks, Ben Williamson/Jack Hamilton esque. Have a good manager who gets the best out of what he has, which is the pick of the best part time players in the country. Should have enough to stay up although scoring goals could be a worry (watch them out 5 past us on Saturday now).

9. Ayr - very nearly put Mor- sorry Ayr bottom. Atrocious recruitment of ex Morton players who are proven to not be good enough at this level. I will be astounded if they finish higher than 9th. They appear to be in a wee bit of a freefall.

10. Morton - Have left their recruitment far too late. Lithgow will be a good signing however they seem doomed. Unless they strike lucky scraping the bargain bucket at the end of the window, I can’t see them staying up. May manage to finish above Ayr who could somehow contrive to be worse than them.

Feel free to slag me when all of this is massively wrong, Morton win the league and Doddsball dooms us to league one

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think Dunfermline look shit hot. 

Todorov and Wighton. Thomas and O Hara on the wings. Only thing letting them down last year was their manager and keeper. No overly keen on the manager and no sure if they’ve changed their goalie but there’s potential there. 

In the League Cup we've been playing a 5-2-3 with Thomas transformed into a midfield playmaker and Wighton/Todorov/O'Hara all up front. Add Kennedy and Dow when fit into that and I don't think anyone is going to accuse us of being dull....

Killie

Dunfermline

Raith Rovers

Partick

Inverness

Hamilton

Queen of the South

Arbroath

Ayr

Morton

The bottom 4 could be in any order, I don't know enough about them so I'm probably going to be wildly wrong.

Think Killie and Dunfermline are the standouts.  Raith > Hamilton could be in any order.

I was hopeful after last season that we may be able to put in a sneaky title challenge, but we do look light up top in terms of first look.  Hendry was always going to be a massive miss, but I think that will become even more apparent as the season goes on.  Should have enough there to at least challenge for top 4 - so I'll be a bit optimistic. 

1. Kilmarnock - largely because I think Tommy Wright is a much better manager than Peter Grant. The big concern for killie, imo, is a bit of a lack of quality up front, but if they can find a striker who’ll get double figures, they’ll win it fairly comfortably in the end I think. They have several players (Burke, McKenzie, Naismith) who I think are too good to be in this league. 

2. Dunfermline Athletic - Peter Grant is a diddy, but they looked very good going forward against us. The problem is the defence, we looked very dangerous against them as well and Mehmet isn’t up to much. I also think that Grants insistence on playing out from the back at all times will cost them quite a few goals, and I don’t think Todorov will keep up his scoring run all season, so interesting to see what happens then. A good season and I would fancy them in the playoffs, but won’t quite match Killie.

3. Raith Rovers - Lost a few important players, but they still have a solid team and a good manager as well. A bit like Killie in that they (from the outside) are missing a striker but they should be a good side.

4. Thistle - Probably a bit of optimism here, but I think we look great going forward, our central midfield of Bannigan and Docherty is strong and Stone looks like a good goalkeeper. The less said about our nonsense of a defence the better, but I would say that I don’t think there’s any signings we can make which will make it worse, and of the two who played against Dunfermline, one is going to be back up and one has been told to find a new club - so that’s nice. I think we’ll scrape into fourth late on, having not been near Killie or the Pars all season.

5. Hamilton Academical - will be quite mediocre but ultimately do enough to just fall short of the playoffs imo. The big worry is that the main striker seems to be Andy Ryan, a guy who’s never, ever scored consistently at this level despite quite a few attempts at it, but oh well. I think they’ll have a hilariously poor start, sack Rice and get someone vaguely competent in and that’ll be enough to see them fine.

6. Queen of the South - I think they’ll do surprisingly ok. They’ve made some (on paper) good-ish signings - Paul McKay and Harry Cochrane the ones that caught my eye. That said, they’re playing Ally Roy up front and haven’t defended a cross properly for about 10 years now, so who knows.

7. Inverness Caledonian Thistle - The great unknown, I wouldn’t actually be surprised to see them finish anywhere between 1st and 10th. At the minute, I’m erring on the ‘Billy Dodds is a moron who doesn’t know what he’s doing’ side of things so a poor season for them imo. But maybe once he’s worked on the defence they’ll be fine.

8. Arbroath - Being part time will almost always limit what can be achieved in this league, but Campbell knows what he’s doing and that defence remains formidable. Plus, they have Gayfield which can lead to some absolute nonsense games in the wind. I think they’ll flirt with relegation but ultimately be fine.

9. Ayr United - Some decent players (McAdams, Moffat, Reading), but history shows us quite clearly that teams with Sean McGinty in them stink out this division and I expect that will continue. Looking at the rest of it, I just don’t see anyone who’ll create chances, and the boy Salkeld was one of the least technically gifted players I’ve ever seen so it’ll mo be him. A grim season of Hopkin-ball, lightened up by thumping Falkirk in the playoffs to everyone’s massive amusement.

10. Greenock Morton - looking at their squad, I just can’t see any reason for optimism in Greenock. Given the fan takeover, it’s understandable and they obviously have other issues to take care of but I think it’ll be an utterly bleak season for Morton. And you’ll still be paying money to watch Robbie Muirhead, so my condolences there. And Cameron fucking Blues. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

16 hours ago, scottbamby said:

7. Queen of the South - I think Queens might surprise us all to be honest. I like the recruitment strategy this summer - signing some promising young players and beginning to look like they may even be thinking beyond the end of the season which is most unlike them. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them slightly higher, Paton seems to be a great signing by all accounts. Alternatively, they may be absolute gash.

Think this is a fair assessment of QOS at the moment. 👍

I'm flirting with optimism just now given our summer recruitment, but this is tempered by the knowledge that the LC group stage games are invariably a poor yardstick for the real deal of the league games.

And yes, think we are encouraged by some longer contracts being placed (maybe due to reducing uncertainty re Covid moving forwards), although the driver here is perhaps more related to obtaining a future sell on fee if the lads show promise.

Your closing point is no doubt shared by most QOS fans; we're all too familiar with the sound of bubbles going "pop"!

Edited by Otis Blue

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Hard to argue against these three groups RRFC. 👍

I see no reason why Hamilton are placed in the play-off contention group tbh; they look like an absolute rabble that will be nearer the bottom end of the table than the top.

I'm not going to do a preview of every team because I quite frankly haven't been keeping up with signings across the league this summer. For Morton I think that while the picture is concerning it's not quite as bad as the overall consensus on this thread. We should be well-organised and pretty solid defensively (so long as injuries don't become a major factor), which is enough to get points on a regular basis in this nick of a league. The lack of goals and so enough wins is a valid concern. We'll be absolutely turgid to watch again, regardless of whether we actually end up 6th or 7th or bottom. 

Kilmarnock

Dunfermline

Inverness

Partick

Raith

[Large gap]

Morton 

Hamilton

Arbroath

Queen of the South

Ayr 

I'd expect that bottom half to be very tightly packed and could finish in any order though. 

46 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

6. Queen of the South - ......... That said ...... haven’t defended a cross properly for about 10 years now ......

Amen, brother .... Amen! 🙄

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I see no reason why Hamilton are placed in the play-off contention group tbh; they look like an absolute rabble that will be nearer the bottom end of the table than the top.

Yep, my assessment is so subjective and your view could be nearer to reality. I know next to zip about the Accies squad. I guess I'm basing it on the one hand that a side that has been able to survive upstairs for a few seasons must have something going for them even if they have lost a few players and on the other hand tempered by the pervading sense of doom and gloom from their posters on here. Basically, I don't know - like most of us on here! 😏

Will have a go. Usually well off the mark with it tho, also haven't really kept up with signings for half the clubs but here we go

1. Dunfermline.

More bias than anything, will be first to admit I wasn't happy with grant appointment. But he has assembled a very good attacking team and will be good to watch. Imagine we will be involved in alot of high scoring games too. We will outscore teams on our way to the title 

2. Kilmarnock. 

Best manager in the league on paper but has he actually done it at this level? Always builds a solid squad that are usually hard to beat. Plenty players they have retained are to good for this division and recruitied some decent championship players but lack a proven goalscorer, I reckon we have better players in the attacking areas.

3. Inverness.

Always there or thereabouts. No sure on dodds management levels but they are always solid at home and not many teams take points. Always  tough opponents at eep and don't tend to concede many. 

4. Partick.

Mccall been there done it, just promoted and they always tend to have a decent first season back. A bit similar to our squad regarding good going forward and poor at the back. Again will be involved in some entertaining high scoring games. 

5. Raith.

Look solid defensively. I'm sure they lost alot of there attacking players and not too sure about the quality they have brought in as replacements. Think Vaughan will be vital for goals providing he can last the season. If he does i can see him doing well. But we all know there's every chance he misses about a third of the season injured. Decent manager and should be comfortable, more than likely I'm the fight for 4th with Partick.

6. Hamilton 

Haven't paid any attention on there squad at all so no idea who actually plays for them. Apart from Andy Ryan and callum Smith, 2 strikers I wouldn't be overly worried about at this level tbh. Rank pitch but they know how to play it to there advantage so should be decent enough at home to sit in the middle of the league.

7. Arbroath 

Cant really say much on them as its basically the same comments every season with them. Always a hard place to go and win, especially with the wind etc etc. Stuffy team with a experienced team and manager. Think there solid enough to avoid a relegation fight.

8. Q.O.T.S

Always rely on a lot of loans to its always hard to set a foundation to build around. Have been fairy rank for the most part of the past 2 seasons apart that 3 month spell which propelled them up the league. Never confident of an AJ side in this league. Think they will struggle but see them being better than ayr and morton

9. Ayr 

Poor last season, signed a few morton players who weren't exactly any good last season either. Not sure about the rest of there recruitment but can't see much improvement from last season and will fight it out with morton for the automatic drop.

10. Morton

Rank last season, probably have another small squad with little quality, similar season to last and will either be them or Ayr for the drop. 

All total guesswork and will no doubt be well off it again. And feel free to quote me where I'm talking guff regards to squads and players. As like I said I've not paid much attention outside pars recruitment. Seen most of killies and seeing Partick against us. 

Edited by Leedafc

Kilmarnock 

Dunfermline 

Partick Thistle 

Raith Rovers 

Inverness Caley Thistle 

Hamilton 

Queen of the South 

Ayr 

Arbroath 

Morton 

I don't think a massive amount has changed from the end of last season. I expect a battle again between the bottom 4. As it stands, I can't see Morton having enough in the squad for us to avoid bottom place. The top 5 have all invested in their squads, and while not being brilliant I expect them to pull away over time. Killie should have just about enough to see them edge towards the title. 

Positions 2-5 and 7-9 could be in any order. Clubs from either group could also join Hamilton in mid-table obscurity. 

1 hour ago, Leedafc said:

6. Hamilton 

Haven't paid any attention on there squad at all so no idea who actually plays for them. Apart from Andy Ryan and callum Smith, 2 strikers I wouldn't be overly worried about at this level tbh. Rank pitch but they know how to play it to there advantage so should be decent enough at home to sit in the middle of the league.. 

Hahah you still get this pish in the diddy leagues? Jesus Christ, I have personally never ever seen a good game played on one.