Stephen O’Donnell

1 hour ago, SmokeyJoe said:

thought he did brilliant last night considering he's been out for the last month 

He was fucking horrendous!

Fair fucks to him - he gets forward - and then just gives the ball away. Time after time after time.

Just now, ArabFC said:

He was fucking horrendous!

Fair fucks to him - he gets forward - and then just gives the ball away. Time after time after time.

defensively solid few big tackles at important times. bombed on when he could and created space. yes his final ball wasn't great but all in all he was very good  

he had a good game last night, but our system would look so much better if we had a decent attacking right wing back. 

His final ball is inconsistent, he isn't particularly fast and never looks to take players on, general passing in build up play is very poor as well unless there is an obvious easy ball on. 

Defensively he is fine but our wingbacks need to provide all of the attacking width when we play the 5-2-1-2 like last night, and he really isn't cut out for that. 

Unpopular opinion but I still think Forrest should be given a run there if he can get fit again. 

1 minute ago, SmokeyJoe said:

defensively solid few big tackles at important times. bombed on when he could and created space. yes his final ball wasn't great but all in all he was very good  

See to describe him as ‘very good’. This is what I take issue you with.

He was probably ‘very good’ by SOD standards. In the grand scheme of things he is a poor footballer who try’s his best. 

Austrians would have been left bemused at his general ability on the ball. 

15 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

All that was missing for SOD was to finish off that breakaway chance. Just seemed to slow down to set himself. Another touch and I fancy he’d have scored. Alaba was chasing him down fast tho. 
he always gives his all, that was up there with his England performance.

Alaba did get some crosses in but don’t think any full back would keep him quiet for 90mins.

I think part of that was that SOD hasn’t really played much in the last month or so, and he was absolutely fucked by that point. I honestly think if he was fully match fit he takes another touch and it’s a goal. 

Final ball isn’t good enough, but he gets into space brilliantly. If he can get one cross right, we’re absolutely laughing.

I would also say that the vast majority of Alaba’s crosses were from deep positions where the central defenders should be much more comfortable dealing with them. Think there was only one occasion when Alaba got to the byline to cross. Given that Austria’s entire game plan was ‘give it to David, maybe he’ll do something’, we have to call that a great effort from SOD.

1 hour ago, Mean Gene said:

See to describe him as ‘very good’. This is what I take issue you with.

He was probably ‘very good’ by SOD standards. In the grand scheme of things he is a poor footballer who try’s his best. 

Austrians would have been left bemused at his general ability on the ball. 

Spot on mate. He was given acres of space by the Austrians as they identified him as being absolutely  hopeless on the ball. Lost the ball several times in the first half needlessly as he’s a donkey. Also slightly fortunate not to give away a pen.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

20 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Spot on mate. He was given acres of space by the Austrians as they identified him as being absolutely  hopeless on the ball. Lost the ball several times in the first half needlessly as he’s a donkey. Also slightly fortunate not to give away a pen.

Slightly fortunate in the way of not committing a foul in the box is fortunate...  

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

All that was missing for SOD was to finish off that breakaway chance. Just seemed to slow down to set himself. Another touch and I fancy he’d have scored. Alaba was chasing him down fast tho. 
he always gives his all, that was up there with his England performance.

Alaba did get some crosses in but don’t think any full back would keep him quiet for 90mins.

These crosses were from deep because he wasn’t getting past SOD, I am not sure if he ever got to the byline when faced up by O’Donnell.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Shocked that Austria would single out the side with Motherwell and Club Brugge players rather than the one with Liverpool and Arsenal players.

Arsenal are utter dung.

They didn't "target" the right, they played through their best player who is a left back.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Shocked that Austria would single out the side with Motherwell and Club Brugge players rather than the one with Liverpool and Arsenal players.

It was more the sheer amount of space they allowed him - that isn’t common. He’s fucking shite on the ball. Most people see sense and agree with me thankfully as he was the lowest rated player on BBC. To think he was anything more than OK yesterday (defensively he was decent) is laughable.

33 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It was more the sheer amount of space they allowed him - that isn’t common. He’s fucking shite on the ball. Most people see sense and agree with me thankfully as he was the lowest rated player on BBC. To think he was anything more than OK yesterday (defensively he was decent) is laughable.

Thankfully I am not one of them.

The lowest rated player on the BBC site was Craig Gordon.

And talk sense - a full back with 23 international caps for Scotland is not 'fucking shite on the ball'.

Edited by Barney Rubble

7 hours ago, Zazu said:

he had a good game last night, but our system would look so much better if we had a decent attacking right wing back. 

His final ball is inconsistent, he isn't particularly fast and never looks to take players on, general passing in build up play is very poor as well unless there is an obvious easy ball on. 

Defensively he is fine but our wingbacks need to provide all of the attacking width when we play the 5-2-1-2 like last night, and he really isn't cut out for that. 

Unpopular opinion but I still think Forrest should be given a run there if he can get fit again. 

Harsh , but

We need superstar wing backs for the formation you mentioned , and more players getting forward

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's a bit weird that some people will continue to criticise SoD for his attacking 'weaknesses', despite him having a tremendous game last night defensively. 

Patterson gets rave reviews from some for doing one thing decently against Moldova, but having a bit of a nightmare defensively. 

Thank God Patterson wasn't playing last night, Austria would have had a field day down our right. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's a bit weird that some people will continue to criticise SoD for his attacking 'weaknesses', despite him having a tremendous game last night defensively. 

Patterson gets rave reviews from some for doing one thing decently against Moldova, but having a bit of a nightmare defensively. 

Thank God Patterson wasn't playing last night, Austria would have had a field day down our right. 

What do you base that on with Patterson? I am probably biased, but I believe Patterson is an all round better option than O’Donnell. 

To me SOD was no where near tremendous. He done as well as he could with the little ability that he has, but he was not tremendous. 

Edited by Mean Gene

f**k sake, I though we were over the SOD debate.

Is he a world beater? No.

Is he particularly great? No.

Was he the best option we had available last night and did he perform his role to the best of his ability and put in a good performance? Yes.

The guy has good and bad games. As does Robertson. As does McGinn. In fact, he has probably had just as many very good and very bad games as our captain over the past couple years.

Hes frustrating at times but hes fine.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

What do you base that on with Patterson? I am probably biased, but I believe Patterson is an all round better option than O’Donnell. 

To me SOD was no where near tremendous. He done as well as he could with the little ability that he has, but he was not tremendous. 

What do I base that on ? Well, probably the fact that he's played only a handful of senior games and has not been seriously tested defensively in any of them. 

And also the fact that defensively against Moldova, he was rank. 

As pointed out above, SoD obviously has limitations and over the course of time possibly Patterson or Ramsey will become Scotland's 1st choice right back. 

But last night....defensively...he was tremendous.