Stephen O’Donnell

• 2 weeks later...

Offensively, I thought he started quite well for the first 10 minutes just like the whole team, but he seemed to be more on the periphery of the game as it progressed in terms of actually using the ball.  He did get into some good positions and our goal came from an excellent pass down the line to Stuart Armstrong, but only worked effectively with the attacking players sparingly to create chances down our right side. Of the 19 passes he made, 9 were played to Scott McTominay - not sure if that was planned.

Defensively caught out a few times when he was in more attacking positions, but also made some helpful clearances and blocks. I wasn't surprised to see Patterson come on to replace him and if anything I'd have expected it sooner as his already limited attacking output dropped off further in the second half and he starting to pick fights with their players.

image.png

Edited by 2426255

If we go into the world Cup qualifiers with O'donnell at right wing back we will get stuffed. 

Teams will just have to watch the recent games to see how bad he was. 

He was great against England on the back foot the whole game. But the other 2 games. He was so poor, ask him to take possession and he's miles out of his depth.

Really has to be Patterson or Tierney out there.

• 2 weeks later...

For me , S. O'donnell reflects just how far SC can bring a player if they buy into him .

If he can bring someone of that ability far enough to deliver that kind of performance against the auld enemy, imagine how far the likes of wee Billy could go if Clarke has the same effect on them.

Odonnell done and might still do a job when we had and have no real top class player who can step in at RB. When young Nathan steps up , I'm sure stephen odonnell will be remembered in the vein of Graham Alexander who did a similar job for us in a similar position. A safe option who would give 100% (albeit with the obvious caveat of not perhaps being as technically apt as someone like Mcgrain or even more recently, hutton)

Edited by greenockraver

On 21/07/2021 at 11:29, 2426255 said:

Course he would, he strikes me as a really nice man, grounded and not an tit, same goes for me.

All agreed he's sound, OK great. With regards to football...

If Steve Clarke starts him again it's mismanagement. We have young players that are far better and you can see that even in the 15 minute cameo vs Croatia where SOD takes a touch, looks up, thinks, passes... Patterson just played it one touch. Huge at International level and especially Scotland for breaking from back. I don't have to say anything about not playing Gilmour vs Czech I'm sure.

Pedri good enough to start for Spain, but Gilmour and Patterson need more experience for Scotland... Clarke's lineup in next game is binary whether he is scotland mananger going forward for me.

On 24/07/2021 at 03:13, Fungi said:

All agreed he's sound, OK great. With regards to football...

If Steve Clarke starts him again it's mismanagement. We have young players that are far better and you can see that even in the 15 minute cameo vs Croatia where SOD takes a touch, looks up, thinks, passes... Patterson just played it one touch. Huge at International level and especially Scotland for breaking from back. I don't have to say anything about not playing Gilmour vs Czech I'm sure.

Pedri good enough to start for Spain, but Gilmour and Patterson need more experience for Scotland... Clarke's lineup in next game is binary whether he is scotland mananger going forward for me.

I think there is an element that allows teams who will almost certainly get out the groups allow to take risks that the likes of Scotland cant at this level. You saw it with England sticking with Kane to get him up to match fitness for the latter end of the tournament. But as for  Pedri, he had almost a full season in La Liga, he will have had way more top level games than those two you mention combined. 

Edited by gannonball

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

And Gilmour was trusted to play in the England game and would have definitely played the next one too.

Clarke wouldn’t have picked Gilmour if it was a 23 man squad. He made a total arse of the Euros. 

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

And Gilmour was trusted to play in the England game and would have definitely played the next one too.

He should've played in all 3 (barring covid obviously). I was utterly raging with Clarke when he was heaping praise on Gilmour after the England game and said something like "we know Billy's got the talent to go out and control these games". Why not play him against the weakest opposition then and boss the game? If we'd beaten the Czechs we'd have been through with that draw at Wembley. I don't get the "he needs managed/protected" angle either, managers say this all the time when they're too much of a shitebag to back youth. 

On O'Donnell, his time is up with Patterson and now Ramsay at Aberdeen coming through. I don't hold anything against him, he's been hung out to dry when others with more talent have been hiding. Hopefully folk will stop abusing him now.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He should've played in all 3 (barring covid obviously). I was utterly raging with Clarke when he was heaping praise on Gilmour after the England game and said something like "we know Billy's got the talent to go out and control these games". Why not play him against the weakest opposition then and boss the game? If we'd beaten the Czechs we'd have been through with that draw at Wembley. I don't get the "he needs managed/protected" angle either, managers say this all the time when they're too much of a shitebag to back youth. 

On O'Donnell, his time is up with Patterson and now Ramsay at Aberdeen coming through. I don't hold anything against him, he's been hung out to dry when others with more talent have been hiding. Hopefully folk will stop abusing him now.

Ramsay might well be the second coming of Cafu, but let's not go expecting Clarke to drop a 300 appearances 20+ Scotland cap international for a guy with ONE professional game under his belt. 

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:

i) it wasn't a 23-man squad so who cares

ii) yes he would have

No he wouldn't have been in a 23 man squad, not a chance. Not even close.

If it wasn't for injuries he wouldn't have been in the 26 man squad.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If there's evidence to the contrary then fair enough, but I've not seen or heard anyone abusing o'donnell. 

I dont think he should have been anywhere near the team for the euros. And played very poorly in 2 of the games. But I dont blame him, he doesn't pick himself for the team. And he certainly isn't short of effort. So fair enough to him.

Its the manager who keeps picking him despite him being miles from an international footballer which is the issue.

Hopefully Clarke will see sense and drop him now. But I expect he won't.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

Ramsay might well be the second coming of Cafu, but let's not go expecting Clarke to drop a 300 appearances 20+ Scotland cap international for a guy with ONE professional game under his belt. 

Who only has ONE professional game under his belt?

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

No he wouldn't have been in a 23 man squad, not a chance. Not even close.

If it wasn't for injuries he wouldn't have been in the 26 man squad.

If there's evidence to the contrary then fair enough, but I've not seen or heard anyone abusing o'donnell. 

I dont think he should have been anywhere near the team for the euros. And played very poorly in 2 of the games. But I dont blame him, he doesn't pick himself for the team. And he certainly isn't short of effort. So fair enough to him.

Its the manager who keeps picking him despite him being miles from an international footballer which is the issue.

Hopefully Clarke will see sense and drop him now. But I expect he won't.

He’s not getting dropped because a) Patterson is still inexperienced b) O’Donnell is dependable, if not exactly brilliant, c) even if Patterson starts, we still need a back up d) we’re playing three games in a week so need to rotate, and e) there aren’t exactly many international class right backs right now.

I like Patterson but there’s no way he’s playing all three matches - especially as one is against a Tier 1 nation, and another a Tier 6. One way or the other, one’s getting game time against minnows and the other against a EC semi finalist. Which order that is entirely depends on your views and objectives.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

He’s not getting dropped because a) Patterson is still inexperienced b) O’Donnell is dependable, if not exactly brilliant, c) even if Patterson starts, we still need a back up d) we’re playing three games in a week so need to rotate, and e) there aren’t exactly many international class right backs right now.

I like Patterson but there’s no way he’s playing all three matches - especially as one is against a Tier 1 nation, and another a Tier 6. One way or the other, one’s getting game time against minnows and the other against a EC semi finalist. Which order that is entirely depends on your views and objectives.

It depends on your definition of dependable. If you mean he will show up on time for the flight. Then yes he is. If you mean he can play the position well, then no he can't. 

Hes ran his contract down recently, only motherwell took him. If he went to the English championship he would have doubled his money easy. He didn't because nobody wanted him.

Im aware there's a shortage of right backs, I preferred Strachan solution of playing Tierney out of position.

Rather than the massive drop in standard to O'donnell. 

I seriously think there's quite a few players in the squad who have never player right back, or right wing back. Who could do a better job than o'donnell. Again its nothing personal against the guy he does his best, I just want scotland to win. And his best is not a high standard.

Edited by BingMcCrosby