Stephen O’Donnell

29 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Add to that Christie, Dykes, Hendry, Marshall and a few more. There was plenty of stick given. I didn't see anybody laying the whole thing on O'donnell.

He was the worst tho, it was probably the worst performance in the whole tournament. 

Makes his England performance even more remarkable, and shows the guys got alot of character.

Surely it’s remarks like that in bold that’s the problem though. He had a bad game, along with quite a few other players.

The team played ok, we couldn’t score and made some mistakes but there is a place between brilliant and “worst performance in a tournament ever” and being hyperbolic about it means we end up with a lot of unfair criticism to players and the team. Yes criticise a bad performance but a lot of fans lose all sense of proportion about it.

Just now, Jambomo said:

Surely it’s remarks like that in bold that’s the problem though. He had a bad game, along with quite a few other players.

The team played ok, we couldn’t score and made some mistakes but there is a place between brilliant and “worst performance in a tournament ever” and being hyperbolic about it means we end up with a lot of unfair criticism to players and the team. Yes criticise a bad performance but a lot of fans lose all sense of proportion about it.

Call me hyperbolic and then make up your own quote. "Worst performance in a tournament ever" who said that?

Im genuinely not trying to be hyperbolic. I dont think its  stretch in anyway to say it was probably the worst performance in the tournament. He was absolutely awful. The team was awful also.

I'd say the problem is more quotes like "the team played ok". It wasn't OK it was embarrassing, it was a shocking and cowardly performance.

And O'donnell was the worst of the bunch.

Just now, Detournement said:

It was disappointing it wasn't embarrassing. We made a lot of chances and with slightly better luck could have easily scored two. 

It was nothing like Italy Vs Turkey or Holland Vs Austria in terms of being one sided. 

Each to their own, I found it embarrassing. I'd say Italy are a slightly better team than the Czechs.

It's not hypocritical to say O'Donnell was poor against the Czechs and played very well against England. Not every player gives the same level of performance in every game, in fact , no players do.

We don't have top players in every position, there are positions where we have to play good players who are relatively limited at this kind of level. O'Donnell is one of those players. There's no point trying to deny that. The aim is to get a system that these players can fit into and do a job and hope that they can keep their own performance levels at the very top of what they can offer.

41 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Call me hyperbolic and then make up your own quote. "Worst performance in a tournament ever" who said that?

Im genuinely not trying to be hyperbolic. I dont think its  stretch in anyway to say it was probably the worst performance in the tournament. He was absolutely awful. The team was awful also.

I'd say the problem is more quotes like "the team played ok". It wasn't OK it was embarrassing, it was a shocking and cowardly performance.

I thought their second goal was embarrassing , as was the collision between you know who ( At least it did not cost us a goal like H#ns#n's in 1982 ) 

However the amount of chances we created was not embarrassing !

55 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Sorry I added in ever but you did say “Worst performance in the tournament” which is a massive stretch, there have been worse. Turkey twice, Hungary against Portugal just for an example.

It wasn’t an embarrassing performance. The second goal was very poor from our point of view but also simply a wonderful strike, the goal may have been embarrassing but we created a lot of chances and played ok. Like I say, there is a place between brilliant and diabolical, it was disappointing but we don’t need to go overboard. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Sorry I added in ever but you did say “Worst performance in the tournament” which is a massive stretch, there have been worse. Turkey twice, Hungary against Portugal just for an example.

It wasn’t an embarrassing performance. The second goal was very poor from our point of view but also simply a wonderful strike, the goal may have been embarrassing but we created a lot of chances and played ok. Like I say, there is a place between brilliant and diabolical, it was disappointing but we don’t need to go overboard. 

I did yeah, not worse in any tournament ever.

We created a few chances, we didn't create alot of chances. The Czechs also missed quite a few chances.

We were at home against a poor team, in a massive game. Didn't create much, didn't have the best chances. What was ok about it.

Its a loser mentality to think that was ok, it really is.

Im confident now we can beat Croatia, but if we don't. We will go back and question that game again. And rightly so.

I think the issue was the singling out of O’Donnell, I thought McTominay was poor and McGinn wasn’t very effective but O’Donnell was the easy target for many.
I didn't really think anyone was that bad on Monday. Losing by a couple of goals was such a disappointment and I think everyone was hungry for a scapegoat and being overanalytical at really small moments and having their own take about who was to blame.

Like O'Donnell getting in Chrsties way for example, it just sometimes happens and players making mistakes and killing an attack in the last third happens dozens of times a game. Felt like that was hyped as being indicative of what a useless b*****d he was etc.

The Czechs were lethal and upset the game plan taking the lead and collectively, I think we just weren't composed enough to play the occasion and wasted time by initially isolating Dykes.

Realistically, we need to recognise that the players we have are the players we have and they need a bit of continuity. O'Donnell is on a similar level to other top flight right backs but it's a position we're very bare in and whilst we hope on Patterson kicking on and he looks promising technically, O'Donnell has done as well as expected for the national team and is trusted by the manager for a reason.

Getting off topic on what should be an appreciation page for the guy that bakes cakes, bodies England's £100m valued danger men at Wembley and looks fucking great while doing it.

Unconfirmed rumour that Cafu has his SOD pyjamas ordered already.

9 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I did yeah, not worse in any tournament ever.

We created a few chances, we didn't create alot of chances. The Czechs also missed quite a few chances.

We were at home against a poor team, in a massive game. Didn't create much, didn't have the best chances. What was ok about it.

Its a loser mentality to think that was ok, it really is.

Im confident now we can beat Croatia, but if we don't. We will go back and question that game again. And rightly so.

No it’s not. We played ok, it’s a realistic mentality. 

We created 19 chances, one hit the crossbar. They defended well, were clinical enough to take 2 of their 10 chances. When you see the stats on the UEFA website we were really quite equally matched.

I also don’t think it’s right to call them a poor team, you make them sound like San Marino. They aren’t world beaters but are still a solid and decent side with some great players, we’ve seen a Coufal and Soucek shine at West Ham, Schick is clearly a decent player as well, playing at a decent level in the Bundesliga with Leverkusen.  I just find your post all wrong tbh. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

No it’s not. We played ok, it’s a realistic mentality. 

We created 19 chances, one hit the crossbar. They defended well, were clinical enough to take 2 of their 10 chances. When you see the stats on the UEFA website we were really quite equally matched.

I also don’t think it’s right to call them a poor team, you make them sound like San Marino. They aren’t world beaters but are still a solid and decent side with some great players, we’ve seen a Coufal and Soucek shine at West Ham, Schick is clearly a decent player as well, playing at a decent level in the Bundesliga with Leverkusen.  I just find your post all wrong tbh. 

I'd prefer to watch the game rather than judge things by stats.

Some great players, give me a break. Soucek is their best player, would he be in ahead of mctominay? Or gilmour? Or even mcginn?

I think your forgetting that we were at home also.

If your happy with that performance and result thats fine, but it is a loser mentality. We should be aiming higher, which was proven by the massive step up in performance against England.

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Some great players, give me a break. Soucek is their best player, would he be in ahead of mctominay? Or gilmour? Or even mcginn?

If your happy with that performance and result thats fine, but it is a loser mentality. We should be aiming higher, which was proven by the massive step up in performance against England.

Schick is their best player, and I’d have him comfortably ahead of any of our attacking options. 

The Czechs are clearly a pretty good side. Not outstanding or genuine contenders to win this, but not fucking Turkey or North Macedonia either.

We were fine, not good enough to win on the day but it was hardly Kazakhstan-esque either.

edit: on topic, SOD has lovely hair. Probably second best hair in the squad (behind Armstrong obvs)

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

Schick is their best player, and I’d have him comfortably ahead of any of our attacking options. 

I'd say he's their best forward, and better than anything we have yeah. But he never made that point (lack of knowledge), so I wasn't making it for him!!

16 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I watched the game, the stats show your claims (such as created a few chances) are wrong. 

I have watched a lot of West Ham this season and I would happily have Soucek in our side, yes over McTominay, he’s an excellent player,  likewise  Coufal would easily be in over our RB options (much as I like SOD and Patterson). I have watched less of Schick, only seen a couple of Bundesliga games this season which is why I didn’t say he was their best player. 

I didn’t say we couldn’t play better, in fact I think it’s clear that saying we played OK doesn’t mean we played at either our best or worst, but in the middle. You are the one claiming in was the “Worst performance in the tournament” all I am saying is that is a massive overreaction.

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

But he never made that point (lack of knowledge)

He is a she.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You are the one claiming in was the “Worst performance in the tournament”

I know, I've confirmed it about 3 times now.  As I said previously theres more to football than stats, so the stats don't prove anything. We had one real chance for dykes. That was it. It was terrible.

You must be easily pleased, we need to shake this loser gallant failure attitude. Its held us back for so long.

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I know, I've confirmed it about 3 times now.  As I said previously theres more to football than stats, so the stats don't prove anything. We had one real chance for dykes. That was it. It was terrible.

You must be easily pleased, we need to shake this loser gallant failure attitude. Its held us back for so long.

Calm your jets mate. Scotland were pretty good against the Czechs, better team all the way through the game and probably deserved to win it They played well mate, so calm down.

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Calm your jets mate. Scotland were pretty good against the Czechs, better team all the way through the game and probably deserved to win it They played well mate, so calm down.

You need to fuel your jets, 23 years and you want to give the boys a Mexican wave for getting pumped at home by the Czechs.

The hyperbole about our performance against the Czechs, and that of individual players, is just a product of frustration (and maybe unrealistic expectations).

The only difference between the sides was they had a quality finisher and we didn't.

Just now, GordonS said:

The hyperbole about our performance against the Czechs, and that of individual players, is just a product of frustration (and maybe unrealistic expectations).

The only difference between the sides was they had a quality finisher and we didn't.

Being able to beat the Czechs at home is not unrealistic.