Stephen O’Donnell

When Patterson first got touted for the Scotland team I felt that he lacked the experience needed for this level and was a few years away from a call up. If we're going to play him then the fans will have to accept that he'll make a few errors along the way.

Steven Clarke obviously believes that he's got what it takes to play there and in the second half he repaid the managers faith in him.

Playing younger players will always have ups and downs.

27 minutes ago, bennett said:

When Patterson first got touted for the Scotland team I felt that he lacked the experience needed for this level and was a few years away from a call up. If we're going to play him then the fans will have to accept that he'll make a few errors along the way.

Steven Clarke obviously believes that he's got what it takes to play there and in the second half he repaid the managers faith in him.

Playing younger players will always have ups and downs.

The lad had a tough night, no need for knee jerk reactions. We need to work with him lift him up when he's finding it hard not just discard him. Disappointing if not surprising to see folk turn on players on here whether it's Nathan Patterson or Stephen O'Donnell.

36 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

This is absolute dinosaur mentality.

19 year old who tries to keep a hold of the ball, as he’s no doubt been encouraged to do his entire youth career, gets lambasted for not launching the ball out of the park because someone else gave away a foul before a wonderfully struck free kick a few moments later.

5 minute into the game and he was trying to take on the Shakhtar winger. He was never getting out that tricky situation. He just needed to play a simple ball... something he struggled with all half. 4 player went over to him to have  word ( brilliant as second half he did great) 

Odonnell make these mistakes people would have called for his head. 

46 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

This is absolute dinosaur mentality.

19 year old who tries to keep a hold of the ball, as he’s no doubt been encouraged to do his entire youth career, gets lambasted for not launching the ball out of the park because someone else gave away a foul before a wonderfully struck free kick a few moments later.

5 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

5 minute into the game and he was trying to take on the Shakhtar winger. He was never getting out that tricky situation. He just needed to play a simple ball... something he struggled with all half. 4 player went over to him to have  word ( brilliant as second half he did great) 

Yeah, I think he is a young defender and made some pretty bad errors of judgement in the first half, it's not a dinosaur mentality to not want defenders dribbling around the 18 yard box. O'Donnell would have been slaughtered if he had played like that I'd agree 100% with that. They're both good options at RWB but neither are the perfect answer at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

There was no simple ball on, his only other option would have been to punt the ball in hope where it could easily just have came straight back to us.

You say it was 5 minutes in - how does that make it any worse? If there were only 5 minutes left I could see the point but if anything the fact that it happened so early on is better as there’s more time to come back from it.

He made mistakes of course but I don’t understand the furore that this one caused. Pretty much every match thread I’ve read on here is full of people bemoaning our lack of technical players, but now when we have players who try to use their own skill to get out of a tricky situation, rather than punt it and hope for the best, it gets blown out of proportion if it goes wrong.

I’d be willing to bet that any decent youth coach Patterson has worked under would have encouraged him to exactly as he did.

Only in the U.K. would supporters be making such a meal out of this, and people wonder why we’ve been shite for ages.

12 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

That’s absolutely correct, and O’Donnell has made mistakes and has been criticised for it, just the same as happened last night with Patterson. But for people to say “O’Donnell wouldn’t have done that” or “O’Donnell should’ve started” as we saw last night are silly comments.

The fact of the matter is Clarke trusted Patterson over him in our biggest qualifying match of the campaign and after a poor first half, he then went on to perform well.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

There was no simple ball on, his only other option would have been to punt the ball in hope where it could easily just have came straight back to us.

You say it was 5 minutes in - how does that make it any worse? If there were only 5 minutes left I could see the point but if anything the fact that it happened so early on is better as there’s more time to come back from it.

So what if the ball came straight back to us? We would have been set defensively and would have been confident of defending against that propely. Instead he put us under pressure immediately by making a bad decision and that led directly to a goal. No coach worth their salt is actually going to tell a player to dribble and keep possession in every circumstance, particularly early on in a game when you haven't yet got a handle on your direct opponent and whether you actually have the beating of him.

That's a learning experience for him - he might have got away with that against inferior players in youth football or most of the teams he's played against for Rangers, but it's a different story against higher level opposition who will punish you. The one thing I like the most about Patterson is his attitude - after the horrendous first half it would have been very easy for him to fold and hide away, but he did quite the opposite in the second half.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

The fact of the matter is Clarke trusted Patterson over him in our biggest qualifying match of the campaign and after a poor first half, he then went on to perform well.

You are so biased mate. O'Donnell was trusted in our previous biggest qualifying match of the campaign against Austria and whoever starts against the Faroes will be in our next biggest qualifying match of the campaign. Just a Rangers fan biased towards a Rangers player.

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

He made mistakes of course but I don’t understand the furore that this one caused. Pretty much every match thread I’ve read on here is full of people bemoaning our lack of technical players, but now when we have players who try to use their own skill to get out of a tricky situation, rather than punt it and hope for the best, it gets blown out of proportion if it goes wrong.

I’d be willing to bet that any decent youth coach Patterson has worked under would have encouraged him to exactly as he did.

Only in the U.K. would supporters be making such a meal out of this, and people wonder why we’ve been shite for ages.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

So what if the ball came straight back to us? We would have been set defensively and would have been confident of defending against that propely. Instead he put us under pressure immediately by making a bad decision and that led directly to a goal. No coach worth their salt is actually going to tell a player to dribble and keep possession in every circumstance, particularly early on in a game when you haven't yet got a handle on your direct opponent and whether you actually have the beating of him.

That's a learning experience for him - he might have got away with that against inferior players in youth football or most of the teams he's played against for Rangers, but it's a different story against higher level opposition who will punish you. The one thing I like the most about Patterson is his attitude - after the horrendous first half it would have been very easy for him to fold and hide away, but he did quite the opposite in the second half.

This c**t worded far better than what I did. 

Biggest thing for me is he came out second half and did really well and showed alot of desire. But that first half from the word go he had a shocker. A learning curve for sure.

No further comment for me on this. He should be starting again on Tueeday. 

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Well said! it's a point of view to think it's as eez-eh as getting our defenders to start dribbling around the back as if we're brazil haha. 😂

Edited by Tynierose

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I was responding to the post saying there was a simple ball to play as an alternative when in reality there wasn’t. It was kick and hope or try dribble out of it. He made the wrong decision as it turns out but I don’t blame him for it.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a mistake but I don’t agree with how this one has been blown out of proportion. There was still a foul and a well struck free kick to come after he lost the ball, it’s not like he gave the ball away to an opponent who smashed the ball into the net two seconds later.

Completely agree with both of you about how well he came back in the second half.

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I was responding to the post saying there was a simple ball to play as an alternative when in reality there wasn’t. It was kick and hope or try dribble out of it. He made the wrong decision as it turns out but I don’t blame him for it.

So there was a simple ball to be made and he made a c**t of it. This resulted in leading to a foul straight after losing the ball 

I’m not saying it wasn’t a mistake but I don’t agree with how this one has been blown out of proportion. There was still a foul and a well struck free kick to come after he lost the ball, it’s not like he gave the ball away to an opponent who smashed the ball into the net two seconds later.

it hasn't been blown out of proportion. He had a really dreadful first half. He just made a huge mistake in first five minutes which changed the game straight away without us even finding our feet.

Completely agree with both of you about how well he came back in the second half.

Glad we agree and see a bright future for the young lad. Let's go again on Tuesday 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

You are so biased mate. O'Donnell was trusted in our previous biggest qualifying match of the campaign against Austria and whoever starts against the Faroes will be in our next biggest qualifying match of the campaign. Just a Rangers fan biased towards a Rangers player.

Patterson was injured for the Austria game, so we don't know if Clarke would have picked him for that one. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

In what way is anything that I said biased?

• 1 month later...