Stephen O’Donnell

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

I know this but he could easy play at left back if Robertson was to get injured. You knew what I meant.

Tbh I dont think he would, if were sticking rigidly to the back 3, which i think we are. I think Clarke views him as to important at left centre.

Unless of course he decides to play again with a squad with no right backs and only 2 left backs.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tbh I dont think he would, if were sticking rigidly to the back 3, which i think we are. I think Clarke views him as to important at left centre.

Unless of course he decides to play again with a squad with no right backs and only 2 left backs.

Greg Taylor also gets a call up if we add another player. Easy to put Cooper where tierney is and tierney out on the left. 

Like I said I've read about Hickey ( of course he can say he will play at right back and hearts used him there ) however at his current club as far as I can tell they havnt used him their . 

Certainly an area however we need to strengthen 

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

Greg Taylor also gets a call up if we add another player. Easy to put Cooper where tierney is and tierney out on the left. 

Like I said I've read about Hickey ( of course he can say he will play at right back and hearts used him there ) however at his current club as far as I can tell they havnt used him their . 

Certainly an area however we need to strengthen 

Which is what he did against Denmark, if everyone was fit bar Robertson I really don't think he would move Tierney.

Despite Taylor being a massive drop in quality again.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Which is what he did against Denmark, if everyone was fit bar Robertson I really don't think he would move Tierney.

Aye and playing Robertson over on that side who has never played there before was awful. Tierney had been tried and tested before on the right.  However such is life. Good to have these options on the right.

8 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I seem to remember people saying not to take Greg Taylor to Euro 2020 because Kieran Tierney could stand in if Andy Robertson got injured and that we don't need three left backs in da squad. 

• 4 weeks later...

Clarke avoided a few awkward questions tonight thanks to McTominay.

It was well documented in the Euro's that Clarke and a couple of the other senior players recognised he felt out his depth at times and they wanted him to embrace being in the squad and try and grow his confidence.

I've been very critical of my expectations from him as an internationalist after joining Motherwell and felt his reputation didn't equate to performances often enough. This season after having a short bit of R&R after the Euro's, he gave away a penalty on the opening day and scored an OG the week after then he was hampered by Covid.

Therefore I feel a wee bit for SOD tonight, while he's not really covered himself with glory in Claret & Amber this season he had consistently delivered in Dark Blue. It's almost the opposite of Andy Robertson a few years back where we wasn't always able to recreate his scintillating club form playing for Scotland and many were grumbling.

While Patterson (or Ramsay, whom I think will eclipse him) may be the answer in the future, 20 senior games, many coming off the bench, unless someone shows a significant amount of talent in training doesn't deserve a fast track because of the status of who's bench they warm most Saturday's.

A poor game against Moldova was followed by a poor first 45 tonight. His second half performance was fuelled, as the whole team were, by passion and the atmosphere plus a little bit of GIRUY directed at the ref and the shithousery.

However to suggest SOD couldn't have done the running, neat interplay and snappy 1-2's Patterson did in the second half is a bit unfair, we'll never know how it would have turned out, just like we'll never know what would have happened if Dykes put the spot kick in the postage stamp.

I agree with the comments above, I'd rather started SOD tonight and gave Patterson a run out against the Faroes as I imagine they'll sit in more and won't threaten the same way Israel would.

Clarke avoided a few awkward questions tonight thanks to McTominay.
It was well documented in the Euro's that Clarke and a couple of the other senior players recognised he felt out his depth at times and they wanted him to embrace being in the squad and try and grow his confidence.
I've been very critical of my expectations from him as an internationalist after joining Motherwell and felt his reputation didn't equate to performances often enough. This season after having a short bit of R&R after the Euro's, he gave away a penalty on the opening day and scored an OG the week after then he was hampered by Covid.
Therefore I feel a wee bit for SOD tonight, while he's not really covered himself with glory in Claret & Amber this season he had consistently delivered in Dark Blue. It's almost the opposite of Andy Robertson a few years back where we wasn't always able to recreate his scintillating club form playing for Scotland and many were grumbling.
While Patterson (or Ramsay, whom I think will eclipse him) may be the answer in the future, 20 senior games, many coming off the bench, unless someone shows a significant amount of talent in training doesn't deserve a fast track because of the status of who's bench they warm most Saturday's.
A poor game against Moldova was followed by a poor first 45 tonight. His second half performance was fuelled, as the whole team were, by passion and the atmosphere plus a little bit of GIRUY directed at the ref and the shithousery.
However to suggest SOD couldn't have done the running, neat interplay and snappy 1-2's Patterson did in the second half is a bit unfair, we'll never know how it would have turned out, just like we'll never know what would have happened if Dykes put the spot kick in the postage stamp.
I agree with the comments above, I'd rather started SOD tonight and gave Patterson a run out against the Faroes as I imagine they'll sit in more and won't threaten the same way Israel would.
Shut it

The people on here absolutely desperate to slaughter Patterson after a game like that. Tragic. 

He was dreadful first half, and did very well in the second. There were still mitigations in the first half, generally when he was given the ball he barely had options. At nineteen years old, to recover from that first half performance is truly outstanding - to put that improvement down to passion is absolutely laughable. 

There is a place for both SOD and Patterson in the squad. They offer different things and it is up to Clarke to decide when he needs either one.

Patterson showed he is a good player tonight but it is also clear he is still developing where as I think we know what we are getting with SOD limitations and all.

McTominay not being a natural centre half probably doesn't help Patterson when we need to defend although they played very well at times together on the ball but I imagine Hanley would talk to Patterson during a game about the defensive side of things which would help him more in that regards. This will come to him the more he plays though.

I don't see the need to pick a side here.

3 minutes ago, ahemps said:

McTominay not being a natural centre half probably doesn't help Patterson when we need to defend 

First half had zero to do with what Mctominay was doing. Was very basic stuff Patterson was making mistakes on , cutting inside and losing the ball or then trying to then go and do a daft touch and try go around outside.

1st goal daft free kick where before that Patterson needed to just launch the ball forward before Hendry does a stupid challenge 

4 minutes ago, ahemps said:

There is a place for both SOD and Patterson in the squad. They offer different things and it is up to Clarke to decide when he needs either one.

Patterson showed he is a good player tonight but it is also clear he is still developing where as I think we know what we are getting with SOD limitations and all.

McTominay not being a natural centre half probably doesn't help Patterson when we need to defend although they played very well at times together on the ball but I imagine Hanley would talk to Patterson during a game about the defensive side of things which would help him more in that regards. This will come to him the more he plays though.

I don't see the need to pick a side here.

I think that’s reasonable in that both players have a place in the squad. I’ve said it before that I think we are close to a point where there is no considerable drop off in quality if you go with Patterson or O’Donnell, but obviously each player has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately people tend to be partisan in their thinking and will focus on whatever suits their viewpoint, myself included. I think we seen that last night, particularly after the first goal.

9 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

1st goal daft free kick where before that Patterson needed to just launch the ball forward before Hendry does a stupid challenge 

This is absolute dinosaur mentality.

19 year old who tries to keep a hold of the ball, as he’s no doubt been encouraged to do his entire youth career, gets lambasted for not launching the ball out of the park because someone else gave away a foul before a wonderfully struck free kick a few moments later.