Stephen O’Donnell

10 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:

by putting Robertson at right f.b.

#### !

I get the idea of trying Robertson at RB tbh as personally I think he plays within himself for Scotland a bit, mainly due to that the way we play doesn’t really compliment his game. Tierney for me is much better for us so shipping Robertson over to the other side was an idea worth trying. 

However trying it away in a qualifier against top opposition was too much of a risk and the main f**k up was not bringing an actual match fit right back. I appreciate covid etc played an issue as well but there should have been better contingency plans really.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The guy’s a donkey. Austria clearly identified him as such and therefore gave him the entire right flank to himself. 

He got a shot on goal while breaking at pace. I believe that's the new benchmark for a Scotland quality right back? Did i get that wrong? 

Most shots, most crosses, most penetrating runs, kept the opposition star man away from the goals?  Who was that then?

I mean, that’s not strictly true. Alaba had plenty of crosses in and was a threat but he is a good player so was always going to happen. SOD marshalled him well and offered a threat going forward albeit his final ball wasn’t great most times. Based off last night, he has control on the jersey but can do no harm having Paterson in the squad with him to learn the defending side off him.

I still maintain that teams with a fast and tricky winger will mark him as a “weak” link and focus their attacks down that side

7 hours ago, ropy said:

Most shots, most crosses, most penetrating runs, kept the opposition star man away from the goals?  Who was that then?

We used three (excluding subs) right backs over the course of the three games. And whilst far from perfect, SOD was, for me, the best of the three. But he's still got a lot improving to do (starting with crosses)

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

We used three (excluding subs) right backs over the course of the three games. And whilst far from perfect, SOD was, for me, the best of the three. But he's still got a lot improving to do (starting with crosses)

I think his poor cross and his futile lob have provided the ammunition for any haters to ignore all the good stuff.  Held to a different standard.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

I mean, that’s not strictly true. Alaba had plenty of crosses in and was a threat but he is a good player so was always going to happen. SOD marshalled him well and offered a threat going forward albeit his final ball wasn’t great most times. Based off last night, he has control on the jersey but can do no harm having Paterson in the squad with him to learn the defending side off him.

I still maintain that teams with a fast and tricky winger will mark him as a “weak” link and focus their attacks down that side

We have two of the best left backs in the world on the other side. Unless 2005 era Cafu and Zambrotta are cloned in Carluke any time soon most teams will mark our right hand side as a weak link no matter who plays there. 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

We have two of the best left backs in the world on the other side. Unless 2005 era Cafu and Zambrotta are cloned in Carluke any time soon most teams will mark our right hand side as a weak link no matter who plays there. 

And despite that left side, it will be to our right side we depend on to win against Israel as our left haven't really shown up in any of our near half dozen games against them...  

He gave it his all but he is so limited, it’s painful watching him. 

I would rather the likes of Patterson, Hickey or even the boy from Aberdeen who looked really good for the under 21’s, get a chance to gain experience and get used to international football. 

1 minute ago, Mean Gene said:

He gave it his all but he is so limited, it’s painful watching him. 

I would rather the likes of Patterson, Hickey or even the boy from Aberdeen who looked really good for the under 21’s, get a chance to gain experience and get used to international football. 

Those players will be used at their current level.  Against Moldova and Faroes when defending will be an after thought.  

Absolutely no way you watched the three matches and thought SOD wasn't no.1 RB on merit.  

5 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Those players will be used at their current level.  Against Moldova and Faroes when defending will be an after thought.  

Absolutely no way you watched the three matches and thought SOD wasn't no.1 RB on merit.  

Totally agree on Sid. As a former Jag am delighted for him. Plus his display at Wembley of course.

At the same time his final ball was mince and he was a bombscare at both Euro Hampden matches which cost us big time. 

20 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Totally agree on Sid. As a former Jag am delighted for him. Plus his display at Wembley of course.

At the same time his final ball was mince and he was a bombscare at both Euro Hampden matches which cost us big time. 

He also got the ball in for Dykes to take out the keeper.

All that was missing for SOD was to finish off that breakaway chance. Just seemed to slow down to set himself. Another touch and I fancy he’d have scored. Alaba was chasing him down fast tho. 
he always gives his all, that was up there with his England performance.

Alaba did get some crosses in but don’t think any full back would keep him quiet for 90mins.