Stephen O’Donnell

On 26/07/2021 at 23:22, Barney Rubble said:

O'Donnell is a better player and defender than Tavernier in my opinion - the latter's deficiencies are regularly evident when Sevco are on the back foot. And that is not meant to suggest that O'Donnell is Danny McGrain or Carlos Alberto. I accept your opinion may be different.

As things stand, no current Sevco player is going to the premiership or any league of similar standard unless I have missed it.

Have Rangers sold a player to the English Premiership since they returned to the top division? I could be wrong, but nobody springs immediately to mind.

Not even close to being a Rangers fan but let's be serious:

1 - Tavernier is way better than O'Donnell.  I don't think O'Donnell is a bad player either.  Just not as good as Tavernier.

2 -Sevco patter is right up there with Dundee email patter.  As crap as it comes.

3 - Morelos, Goldson, Tavernier, Patterson, Kent, Kamara, Jack and Barasic all could get a game in the Premier League easily. I'd argue some others too.  You're telling me they wouldn't get a game for Norwich or Brentford at the worst?  Turn it in ffs. 

Not saying they couldn't now, but Tavernier and Goldson joined Rangers after being turfed out by bottom-end Premier League and/or Championship clubs. They look really good at Rangers because they have an excellent coach, there's no guarantee they'd replicate that at Rangers under a worse manager, let alone in a harder league. Kamara, Morelos and Kent, definitely, but I'd say Tavernier is a Championship player.

And Patterson has done absolutely nothing yet to justify being included in that list of Rangers players.

You don't need to see a player regularly to know they are quality.  Patterson sticks out like a sore thumb.  The only question is how far can he go

Edited by RobbieD

10 hours ago, RobbieD said:

You don't need to see a player regularly to know they are quality.  Patterson sticks out like a sore thumb.  The only question is how far can he go

It was obvious from seeing him after 30 seconds he was better than odonnell 

On 30/07/2021 at 23:43, craigkillie said:

But you're not talking about potential here (which he clearly has), you're suggesting that he could go down there and get a game right now.

I’m definitely saying he’d get a game for most teams in the bottom half the the Premier League.

On 31/07/2021 at 08:34, Stirlingblue said:

Out of interest, in regards to the future at right back, Patterson seems to be the big hope, but how much potential does Calvin Ramsay have? Is this going to be a position where we have multiple young options in a few years time?

I was talking him up (might have been this thread or another one in this section) and got shot down "bEcAuSe HeS oNlY 18!!!!" but its clear that Ramsay is ahead of his age both physically and technically. He's nailed down the right back position at one of the best sides in the country and will likely play more football than Patterson this season. He's absolutely in with a shout of being called up before the end of this calendar year IMO. 

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I was talking him up (might have been this thread or another one in this section) and got shot down "bEcAuSe HeS oNlY 18!!!!" but its clear that Ramsay is ahead of his age both physically and technically. He's nailed down the right back position at one of the best sides in the country and will likely play more football than Patterson this season. He's absolutely in with a shout of being called up before the end of this calendar year IMO. 

I think it was the fact you wanted Ramsay called up right now. After about 10 professional games. Which got you shot down.

Not the fact that you were talking him up.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think it was the fact you wanted Ramsay called up right now. After about 10 professional games. Which got you shot down.

Not the fact that you were talking him up.

I probably would call him up now tbh, he looks class.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tbf I've not seem him at all. From what I've read he sounds like a good young player. Which is always positive to hear.

Whats he like then? Does he remind you of any specific player? 

Bags of energy, good technical ability and can put an excellent ball into the box, evidenced by him taking set pieces. If you get a chance to watch the Aberdeen highlights from their Dundee United game you'll see what he can do. He just looks a wee cut above to me. 

On 03/08/2021 at 21:05, The Moonster said:

Bags of energy, good technical ability and can put an excellent ball into the box, evidenced by him taking set pieces. If you get a chance to watch the Aberdeen highlights from their Dundee United game you'll see what he can do. He just looks a wee cut above to me. 

I did actually go and watch the highlights. Not much to go on really unless their are extended highlights.

One clearance and a good turn and cross was all I seen.

Ill try and catch a full game sometime 

On 03/08/2021 at 09:00, The Moonster said:

It was me who ‘shot you down’, and if you re-read the post you’ll see I was pointing out that there is no way Clarke will call him up, not giving an opinion on whether I would. For what it’s worth, if he is exceptional for 20-30 games, that would be a big enough sample for me to call him up; that’s my requirement for all players, regardless of age. Any player can have a purple patch, the ones with real quality do it over a longer period.