Animated shows

scottsdad

How come there don't seem to be any good animated shows any more? I don't mean kids cartoons but shows for adults too. We're still living off stuff that started in the 90s like Family Guy, South Park and (OK, the 80s) The Simpsons. I can't find many new/funny/interesting animated shows these days.

Look at what we had in the 90s. These were some of my own favourites.

EntireDetailedBuck-max-1mb.gif

Duckman. Starring Jason Alexander (aka George Costanza from Seinfeld) about a private eye who is hopeless. It was very funny.

EquatorialUncomfortableKingbird-max-1mb.

The Critic. From makers of The Simpsons, this was really funny and made a lot of fun of 90s movies.

giphy.gif

Beavis and Butthead. The movie kind of ruined them - the TV show was mostly about reviewing music videos in a funny way with a bit of storyline around it. My friend's dad - in his 50s when this came out - had this as his favourite show. And it spawned a funny spin-off as well, Daria.

2ImA.gif

Are there any new ones like these?

On 18/06/2021 at 11:34, scottsdad said:

How come there don't seem to be any good animated shows any more? I don't mean kids cartoons but shows for adults too. We're still living off stuff that started in the 90s like Family Guy, South Park and (OK, the 80s) The Simpsons. I can't find many new/funny/interesting animated shows these days.

Look at what we had in the 90s. These were some of my own favourites.

EntireDetailedBuck-max-1mb.gif

Duckman. Starring Jason Alexander (aka George Costanza from Seinfeld) about a private eye who is hopeless. It was very funny.

EquatorialUncomfortableKingbird-max-1mb.

The Critic. From makers of The Simpsons, this was really funny and made a lot of fun of 90s movies.

giphy.gif

Beavis and Butthead. The movie kind of ruined them - the TV show was mostly about reviewing music videos in a funny way with a bit of storyline around it. My friend's dad - in his 50s when this came out - had this as his favourite show. And it spawned a funny spin-off as well, Daria.

2ImA.gif

Are there any new ones like these?

Completely disagree with your take on Beavis and Butthead. I found them commenting on videos inane but thought the wee stories between were class. And the movie is an all time classic. 

I suppose tour bus tales is animated and funny, but it doesn't really feel like an animated show with all the interviews etc. 

16 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Used to absolutely love Monkey Dust when I was younger, really doubt something like this would get green lit nowadays 

I've got them on DVD somewhere.  Quite difficult to get a hold of now other than youtube.  Dark as f**k.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Still amazes me that Monkey Dust got made.

Excuse me for a minute, Timmy 🙈

Played more for laughs as I remember it, but in the British animated vein there was Stressed Eric.

With Monkey Dust you had stuff like the Paedo Finder General, which was obviously played for laughs and then it would follow it up with something crushingly depressing like Timmy's dad as you've mentioned.

On top of what has been mentioned so far.

Final Space. Really wasn't impressed by the first couple episodes but bloody hell does it get good when it gets going in the same BoJack does that it goes from comedy to some seriously good character driven shit.

Solar Opposites. From the makers of Rick and Morty. The best ongoing C-plot I've ever, and probably will ever have seen.

Close Enough. First season meh, but the kinks got worked out and it's decent now. All episodes are 10 minutes long.

Not a mention for Invincible yet? For shame lads. Best new animated show by some distance.

I'm going to keep beating the drum on Dragonball Z abridged on YouTube. Took the original plot and arguably made it a not only better from a character driven approach, but genuinely some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen. It's the kind of videos when I get in after a night out and want a nightcap is always stuck on the box.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

10 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Not a mention for Invincible yet? For shame lads. Best new animated show by some distance.

Seconded.

I hadn't thought to include it as I classed it more in the Superhero/Comic Book vein. Rather than the more typical adult animated comedy.

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Seconded.

I hadn't thought to include it as I classed it more in the Superhero/Comic Book vein. Rather than the more typical adult animated comedy.

It's a fair point. It's definitely somewhere on a Venn diagram but I can't think of another animated show like it in terms of running time and it's ability to subvert the expectations of a comic book show.

On 22/06/2021 at 08:33, Blootoon87 said:

Bojack Horseman is brilliant, just takes about half of the first season to find its groove.

I thought this myself until I rewatched then I thought it was more that it takes a few episodes for you to acclimate to the show's general vibe. Early on has that really good bit with Will Arnett and Patton Oswalt over the Navy Seals.