Glennie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Match Thread

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

If you really think all those top clubs signed Beckham purely on his football ability then fair play.  

*shrugs*

As I say, Beckham is hugely under rated because he was a posing w****r.

Average players don't have Barca and Real Madrid squabbling over them, before playing over 100 games for one of them.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

Average players don't have Barca and Real Madrid squabbling over them, before playing over 100 games for one of them.

Yurp, Beckham got bombed out at Galactico FC & played himself back in due to his work ethic in training & overall ability. As much as he was chasing the celebridee life, he had the skills to back it up & was an exceptional player through his career.

Beckham was fucking shite and utterly talentless. They weren''t fighting over him, Barca decided not to sign him, they were interested as a commercial signing not for football reasons. 

14 hours ago, milhouse said:

The hyperbole has been the mythologising of Gascoigne as the "greatest player of his generation" or even "one of the all-time greats" as some would have him, when England alone in the last 30 years has produced numerous far better - and far more professional - footballers: Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen.

England haven't produced a better player than Gascoigne since Bobby Charlton. 

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

Not arguing with any of that. He was a very good player with an excellent attitude.

Gazza was fantastic as a footballer but part of his popularity/cult is that he’s the lad down the pub 5 nights a week that turns out at top level football on a Saturday. He had the passion of a fan and daft as a brush. Of course people love him. 

The commitment and sacrifices that 99.9% of players make to become elite athletes just isn’t that romantic for lots of people. 

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Pepp's joined in the argument - get the popcorn out.

The day you get a trial for Berwick Rangers Youths is the day I'll start listening to you.

George Best once said of him: 'He can't kick with his left foot. He doesn't score many goals. He can't head a ball. And he can't tackle. Apart from that he's all right.'

Beckham had less talent than a lot of players - the two things he did have were a sublime right foot (he was about as monoped a footballer you could get) and an incredible work ethic.

If it's making the most out if his abilities then Beckham is up there.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Pepp's joined in the argument - get the popcorn out.

Cant beat Sunday Seethe Sessions on PnB with Pepp

36 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I remember Dietmar Hamann saying, especially after moving to England and becoming aware of how the tears in the semi-final were held up as one of the all time iconic moments in English football and how much that played a part in Gascoigne being revered as some sort of tragic hero, that he never understood why the reaction to him wasn't anger rather than reverence. His point being that in any footballing nation which actually takes winning seriously like Germany rather than romanticising failure, a player losing the head like that because they're selfishly concerned about their own suspension when a World Cup semi-final is hanging in the balance in extra-time then disappearing for the rest of the game as they went on to be knocked out would have taken pelters and their reputation would never have recovered.

Yes, I remember that too.  I couldn't have recalled it was Hamann, but I do remember a German player saying that stuff in relation to how Gascoigne's behaviour would have been perceived in Germany.  Here, though, it was crazy.  There were portrayals of him as a 'new man' for his willingness to display emotion, missing the fact that toddlers aren't presenting a modern, mature picture of masculinity when they get upset either.  Gascoigne also starred in crisp adverts where he had to cry.  

Compare and contrast with how Roy Keane (another nutter, but a different sort) reacted in the 1999 Champions' League semi-final.  

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If it's making the most out if his abilities then Beckham is up there.

Probably more than anybody else in modern football when you think of the teams he played for, the medals he won, the money he made. Can't argue with it.

He had a lot of the necessary things in place though. Seemingly a supportive family, a very supportive structure at what was probably the world's best club to be a youth player at in that era with strong figures around to keep him right, a very savvy agency looking after him and making him into a brand etc.

But he unquestionably put in the graft. He's in a weird middle ground of probably not being as good as his clubs, bank balance, and fame suggest, but being far better than his detractors try to paint.

Beckham was definitely underrated as a player but let’s be honest if he was half as good looking and had the same attitude to fame as a Paul scholes then I doubt anyone is still talking about him today. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Beckham was definitely underrated as a player but let’s be honest if he was half as good looking and had the same attitude to fame as a Paul scholes then I doubt anyone is still talking about him today. 

Enormously overrated you mean. 

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Enjoy your Sunday 

4 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He’s only overrated if you believe he was in the top 10 players of his generation. He had an extraordinary right foot, but he was some distance off the likes of Kaka, Ronaldo, Zidane, or Figo etc. 

He’s a great example of how to maximise your talent, without necessarily having the ingrained natural ability that many of the best players rely upon.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I mean, Paul Scholes was ginger and had the same attitude to fame as Paul Scholes, and he's still talked about today.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, Paul Scholes was ginger and had the same attitude to fame as Paul Scholes, and he's still talked about today.

Aye, but he was immeasurably better than Beckham 

7 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

He’s only overrated if you believe he was in the top 10 players of his generation. He had an extraordinary right foot, but he was some distance off the likes of Kaka, Ronaldo, Zidane, or Figo etc. 

He’s a great example of how to maximise your talent, without necessarily having the ingrained natural ability that many of the best players rely upon.

Read this thread, there's people saying he was more talented than Gazza. Enormously, massively, massively overrated player. Maybe THE most overrated player there's ever been.