Glennie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Match Thread

Phil Foden looks like a drag queen who's taken his syrup off between performances.

The English national side, and their supporters, truly are a bunch of laughable c***s.

Edited by Paul Kersey

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Fair dos re lack of evidence in that footage, though it is edited down.
The rest of it - the player sent off for crossing himself, the ref shitting out of sending PG off - has absolutely nothing to do with whether Gazza is a bad person or not.

And just to be clear, neither I nor you are "excusing" anything. I was trying to outline a less hyperbolic take on PG.

The hyperbole has been the mythologising of Gascoigne as the "greatest player of his generation" or even "one of the all-time greats" as some would have him, when England alone in the last 30 years has produced numerous far better - and far more professional - footballers: Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, Michael W said:
The only way Harry Kane could've been more ineffectual last night would've been if Southgate had reverted to putting him on corners. 

Quite happy he wasn't on them tbh. I can't recall the stats exactly but didn't about 90% of England's goals in the last tournament come from set pieces?

Yup. They could have played for a month and not scored from open play, exactly like the current team.

I'm sure of Kane's golden boot goals 4 of the 6 were Pens and one of the others was a sclaffed, deflected dribbler that could easily have been put down as an OG as well. They're really not the dynamic, attacking whirlwind some of the pundits appear to believe they are.

5 hours ago, Aufc said:

What a fucking day yesterday. Finished off nicely by the good lady finding me face down in the front garden at 6am.

Lucky lady 

8 hours ago, Gaz said:

Link?

Dinnae bother. 

Googled it myself. I didn't realise there was a famine and mass starvation in the Czech Republic in the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

I was at that game.

No such evidence exists because Gazza's claimed intervention didn't happen. 

Gazza may or may not be a bad person, however the referee that day - Alan Ferguson - was a corrupt b*****d who hung up his whistle immediately afterwards because he wouldn't enforce the rules in place and dismiss Gazza for infringing them, but saw fit to caution Rod McDonald that day for blessing himself at half-time.

For blessing himself. 

In the multicultural Scottish Premier League.

Same Barney. Cost us the game as well. Rangers fans reaction was insane that day and got Rod his red card

18 minutes ago, milhouse said:

The hyperbole has been the mythologising of Gascoigne as the "greatest player of his generation" or even "one of the all-time greats" as some would have him, when England alone in the last 30 years has produced numerous far better - and far more professional - footballers: Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen.

Paul Gascoigne absolutely was one of the best players of his generation.  He had more talent than any of those players.  He also had demons, injuries and issues which are now well publicised.   I think, if anything, the off the field issues make it easy to dismiss quite how talented he was. 

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Paul Gascoigne absolutely was one of the best players of his generation.  He had more talent than any of those players.  He also had demons, injuries and issues which are now well publicised.   I think, if anything, the off the field issues make it easy to dismiss quite how talented he was. 

So much more talented that he signed for Rangers in his peak years while Scholes and Beckham were breaking in to the Man Utd team?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shanklands not been able to put away chances against dross like Coll Donaldson and Colin Doyle, so I'm not sure why he'd suddenly become clinical against England.

Griffiths is a different matter entirely, but it's entirely his own fault he's sat at home with a bag of chips getting wrecked with his mates, and it's caused by spending most of the last 12 months sat home with a bag of chips getting wrecked with his mates.

That was part of my reason for saying I understood Shankland being left at home (although perhaps I should have elaborated on this). He has been out of form/team not playing to his strengths, and has not proved he can step up to premier/international level. 

Yes it is lower level, but when on form he shows he has it in his locker to come up with a tap in as well as the sensational (Partick from about the half way line in January) but he has to prove he is good enough for a chance at international level.  In saying that, I still think that either would have stuck one of those chances away. 

Agree with Griffith's but think there are underlying issues with him.

None of those players were better than Gascoigne.

As for professionalism and personal behaviour - Gerrard had an assault court case, Owen had issues with gambling, Rooney the granny shagger and Beckham's chain of infidelity.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

None of those players were better than Gascoigne.

Beckham was better than Gascoigne, IMO. Hes incredibly under rated in the UK almost entirely because hes an absolute dickhead. Rooney was at a higher level for far longer too.

28 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yup. They could have played for a month and not scored from open play, exactly like the current team.

I'm sure of Kane's golden boot goals 4 of the 6 were Pens and one of the others was a sclaffed, deflected dribbler that could easily have been put down as an OG as well. They're really not the dynamic, attacking whirlwind some of the pundits appear to believe they are.

Two from open play including the injury time winner against Tunisia. 

Two penalties plus an unwitting deflection against Panama

Nothing against Belgium

Penalty against Columbia, he also scored in the shoot out

nothing against Sweden, nothing against Croatia, nothing against Belgium again

So he, undeniably knows how to take a penalty but this wasn't always the case

Harry Kane's debut at White Hart Lane was a 0-0 draw with Hearts he had a penalty saved by Jack Hamilton, now at Dundee

Beckham was better than Gascoigne, IMO. Hes incredibly under rated in the UK almost entirely because hes an absolute dickhead. Rooney was at a higher level for far longer too.
Rooney could have been better - there's a lot who think he underachieved given how he started his career. In international games he never really had a decent tournament.

Just had a look in the cupboard and someone appears to have stolen about half a bottle’s worth of Laphroig last night.  Going to report it once I feel a bit better…

But it's always an off day by England when they get put out/don't win. That's my point. The same thing will happen in this tournament after they're totally outclassed by a far better side. It'll be the "Yes we were beaten but..." and they'll tell us if they "showed up" they would have done better. They never ever seem to get in their head that they aren't anywhere near as good as they like to think they are. It's that arrogance that makes us want them to fail.
Was that not exactly how we reacted on Monday?

Folk in here and plenty of our pundits took it for granted that we were a better team than the czechs.
This is quite a wild take. I'll maybe give you Scholes, but the others were not as good as Gascoigne.
More successful? Absolutely? More talented? Not in a million years.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Rooney could have been better - there's a lot who think he underachieved given how he started his career. In international games he never really had a decent tournament.

He was unreal in 2004, tbf.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

More successful? Absolutely? More talented? Not in a million years.

Folk seem to automatically place a player who can beat 5 men once a month higher up the talent scale than someone who can drop a ball on a 5p 99 times out of a 100, and I'm not sure why.

Beckham at his peak was a key player for both Man U and Real Madrid, at a time when Man U won a treble and Real were in their Galactico era. Gascoignes peak was spent at Tottenham mulling about mid-table in England. Levels need taken into account here.

Yes, the "greatest player of his generation" thing is equally as hyperbolic as the "irredeemable monster" take. The truth lies somewhere in between.