Glennie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Match Thread

I'm quite enjoying how disappointed I am by last night's result. We should have won as we absolutely bossed that game. I keep replaying both Adams chances in my head and, honestly, if one of those go in I think we end up winning the game by more than one goal. England would simply have to attack and we'd pick them off on the counter attack.

I actually thought Robbo was the motm. A colossal captain's performance from him. The energy that man has is unreal. He never let up with lung bursting forward runs for the entire game. An absolutely splendid player.

Gilmour is a player who gets me off of my seat though. There was a moment where Mount is touch tight to him, but BG is demanding the ball, gets it and proceeds to calmly turn and play a smooth as silk pass to a teammate. 

The heart in this team is superb. It's a team full of hugely strong and passionate characters. A team of captains really. McTominay, Tierney, Hanley, McGinn and Gilmour could all have the armband. I fuckin love this team.

I reckon we've changed our story a bit too. I had such faith in our defence last night that I was genuinely disappointed to hear the final whistle. Ten minutes to go I'd normally be gagging for the ref to blow up, but I was feeling more of an urgency to win the game. 

England were pish and a re very poorly coached. Compare that to Clarke, who is one of the best coaches in Europe. We played with a tight system that the players committed to and executed fully. England definitely played as a team of individuals. GS didn't seem to have the chops to change the system at all. I hope they both stay in perpetuity.

Oh, and I too want to register my apologies to SOD. Absolute handsome b*****ding titan.

2 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

My heart stopped at that moment.

Was fully expecting a crappy VAR “one side of the defenders pinky might have brushed against the ball” penalty awards.

I was mostly expecting the ball to pop out right in front of an England player for a tap in. I had my eyes closed throughout tbh.

McGinn and Adams were superb too.

McGinn was typical McGinn. Fighting for absolutely everything and when he had the ball he used it well.

Adams held it up, ran the channels and worked his socks off. All that was missing from him was a goal.
McGinn done well considering that stupid early booking put him in serious danger of being sent off.

It took quite a lot of his game away but he still used the ball really well.

Maybe sounds unfair as everyone to a man played their part but our midfield 3 earned us that point, along with the defenders stepping out to pressurise and tracking lose runners when needed.

10 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Sir Stephen of Donnell, please accept my heartfelt apology, you are a king among men

For me also. Absolutely superb stuff from Stephen. Thought Stevie called it wrong before the game which is why he's the Manager and I'm a numpty. Croatia at Hampden. This time please lads.

I was expecting a penalty when Sterling got a millimetre of boot stood on and went down screeching.
Shouted at the TV that it was a dive. Couple of replays later and it looked to me as if he clipped his own heel.

Lee Dixon was desperate for a penalty.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Dykes is limited, but he was a massive part of that performance tonight, constantly occupying their defence and held it up well. Even just smashing Shaw after about 3 seconds set the tone for the night.

Not sure about this.

He's big and physical, so has some nuisance value.  However, he doesn't hold the ball up well at all - he simply doesn't.  The ball rarely sticks with him and he rarely finds a pass to a team mate.  He doesn't even win many headers.

Substituting him after 4 seconds last night would have been wise if 'setting the tone' was indeed a vital contribution.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Shouted at the TV that it was a dive. Couple of replays later and it looked to me as if he clipped his own heel.

Felt like a sliding doors moment. Last night felt different somehow.

Like Armstrong losing the ball late on and us not conceding felt like a major moment somehow.

Wanted to gather some thoughts after last night before posting. First of all my sense of delight and pride hasn't dimmed.

We setup superbly, Clarke got the personnel absolutely spot on and every player stepped their performances up hugely since Monday.

Gilmour and McGregor not only competed with but were probably better than Rice and Phillips. Use of the ball was very mature and when they needed to hassle and harry, they did so. McGregor also prominently stepped into the back three when Tierney went forward.

The back 5 were to a man outstanding. The defence functions far better with McTominay in it and SOD looks a lot more comfortable with McTominay beside him too. Tierney obviously makes a huge difference to carrying the ball forward. Huge shout to Grant Hanley too, looks very comfortable in the middle of the back three and is the perfect meat and potatoes defender for that.

It was a tactical masterclass from Steve Clarke and the fact Southgate settled for a point says it all about how well we played.

Tuesday will be nervous but delighted we have something to play for.

Pretty sure the Sterling penalty claim would have been given in the EPL.  VAR and the officials generally in this tournament seem to be much less desperate to wade in to these marginal calls.

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Lee Dixon was desperate for a penalty.

That was a decent shout for a penalty.  Not clear cut either way.  Glad we got away with it.

38 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Agree all three were superb, but KT also made a number of interceptions and interventions that completely stymied English attacks, he was imperious all night. One of Billy Gilmour's wee moments that impressed me most was actually the cynical foul on Kane. They had a bit of a break on, Kane is driving at our backline with the ball, but Gilmour didn't panic, didn't scythe him, and didn't just ineffectually trail him into our box either, he just had a very subtle tangle of the legs enough to slow Kane right down and frustrate him to the point where he gave up and turned to the ref. It was beautifully cynical, but it demonstrated Gilmour's maturity and footballing intelligence perfectly. For him to be acting instinctually on that level at 20 years old is something else. He's very special indeed.

I'm honestly loathe to pick even just a top 3. You could literally make a case for any one on the park. 

Yes! I loved that Gilmour wasn't afraid to get in about it, despite his slight physique. When he fills out he'll be battering everyone on the park. O'Donnell done something similar. Grealish was getting a bit too cocky and O'Donnell just wiped him out and accepted the strategic yellow. I really hope a decent team comes in for O'Donnell this summer, then I think all the sceptics will get off his back for good.

Gilmour looks like the ready made replacement for McGregor. McGregor also played well tonight, but after this tournament, I think the McGregor role will be passed over to Gilmour for good.

Put on SSN to see some of the interviews etc.

Some guy on it still citing the fact Portugal won the Euros by only winning one game and England are on track. Finishing second wouldn’t be that bad because it avoids the group of death and they have qualified already. Hope his next shite is a hedgehog.

Steven Pressley has just appeared so time to change the channel.

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Pretty sure the Sterling penalty claim would have been given in the EPL.  VAR and the officials generally in this tournament seem to be much less desperate to wade in to these marginal calls.

Looked a dive but was a pen for me on review. I wonder if the ball rolling out of play meant VAR let it go?

Just now, rainbowrising said:

Looked a dive but was a pen for me on review. I wonder if the ball rolling out of play meant VAR let it go?

The ITV commentator at the time made the point that although on closer inspection it may have been a foul, it wasn't clear and obvious so no need to interfere with the ref's decision. I got the impression the ref wasn't impressed with the scream and dive, fair play to him.

Have sobered up a bit now, and I’m still buzzing after that. We were absolutely brilliant.

SOD might not offer much going forward most of the time, but defensively he was outstanding. Kicking Grealish up in the air was truly magnificent stuff, and he just generally was really solid. Proud as f**k. 

Gilmour will be a mainstay of our team for years. I’d never really watched him before but he reminds me of Luke Modric in the way he always seems to have time on the ball regardless of how many players are around him. Very much deserved man of the match, although he clearly tired before coming off.

It was very weird in the stadium, you could feel the nerves coming from the England fans but, between the header hitting the post and the last 2 minutes, it never once felt like they were about to score. The whole defence were great, and special shout out to McTominay. I know a lot of people don’t like him there, but having him and Tierney able to bring the ball out makes such a difference - especially to Hanley who can just focus on defending.

I don’t know if Dykes and Adams have quite clicked as a partnership yet, but it is good having two very different dimensions. Adams is great at finding himself some space and works incredible hard. Delighted that he’s playing for us.

And finally, what fucking planet is Chris Waddle living on where only two of our players would get in their squad? Delusional nonsense.