Roy of the Rovers

Roy of the Rovers - my brother had a subscription when we were kids. I read it too - great fun.

I remember one story about half the team being injured, and heading for a big loss in the next game. They went on a trip to a farm before the game and found a machine that was healing leg fractures in horses. The injured players strapped on the machine, injuries fixed, and they were able to field a proper team and win the match. Could have used that machine on Keiran Tierney yesterday,

Just now, scottsdad said:

Roy of the Rovers - my brother had a subscription when we were kids. I read it too - great fun.

I remember one story about half the team being injured, and heading for a big loss in the next game. They went on a trip to a farm before the game and found a machine that was healing leg fractures in horses. The injured players strapped on the machine, injuries fixed, and they were able to field a proper team and win the match. Could have used that machine on Keiran Tierney yesterday,

I remember that one as well. My all time favourite was when an earthquake occurred on the pitch during a game making a gaping chasm appear, and some players fell in. 

51 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I had a subscription for a good few years - loved it.

I remember that horse storyline :lol:

How Scotland could have done with Blackie Gray in the line up yesterday. We'd not have conceded those two stupid goals and he'd have powered home a header from a late corner to give us a vital win.

I loved Andy Steel Playmaker as well. Pretty sure Roy ended up signing him for Melchester.  Would love to see a Melchester Rovers team in something like FIFA.

Goalkeeper (Rick Stewart) and Safest Hands in Soccer (Gordon Stewart) we’re brilliant as well. 

Hot Shot Hamish and Mighty Mouse weren’t as good but quite funny.

The Basran disaster is probably the most misguided storyline in the history of UK comics.

...and its the actor who shot Roy.

Currently doing a re-read of the complete 80s Eagle and by 'eck they've totally arsed the character of Dan Dare up around issue 260 when Dan and Roy Race writer Tom Tully goes full on gammon 30 years early.

We've gone from the square jawed action hero of thrilling space adventures to the frankly bizarre resurrected from the dead (by someone we've NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF BEFORE) Dan who has gone full Brexiter and now carries a talking super gun (that handily has all the right bullets at just the right time) and flies around as a Space Marshall in his ship, the Britannia Eagle which is of course painted red, white and blue.

At one point Dare even says "The Mekon and any other bully who crosses my path will get the Justice they deserve. The Justice of a BRITON!"

They've taken a perfectly serviceable space adventure yarn and turned it into some kind of piss poor Judge Dredd clone where Dredd thinks he's Nigel Farage and despite some lovely visuals from Carlos Cruz (as the paper/printing has improved from its mid 80s newsprint nadir) it just feels wrong. I wonder what the rationale behind it was.

Given this its not hard to see why the Basran storyline is so problematic as Tully was clearly a card carrying arse.
Oh well at least Doomlord is still on the go, although he's now died and come back about 10 times in 250 issues.

Edited by drs

42 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Wid.

GordonS will now have you down as a perv.

More of a 70s era fan masel. Although it was very confusing when they changed artist, and Roy - in the space of a week - went from short back'n'sides and sensible suit to full on Noel Edmonds style 70s catalogue model.

Duncan McKay, the stereotypical Scottish hardman with beard and headband was pivotal for Rovers back then. Could do with him on Friday.

15 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

More of a “Jon Stark - Matchwinner for Hire” fan, myself.

69B93584-35D2-4C0B-A5DD-BB80D34A3376.jpeg.cd28f20c0fa4a09ca88f52cc1a011e70.jpeg

That brings back memories. His fee was £1000 per match as I remember it and it effectively guaranteed a win. Who in the real world would have come closest to Jon Stark?

In the same magazine (Scoop?) I seen to also remember a series called 'Millionaire Villa' where some flash young millionaire had given a team that amount to get a regular game on the left wing.

18 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I loved Andy Steel Playmaker as well. Pretty sure Roy ended up signing him for Melchester.  Would love to see a Melchester Rovers team in something like FIFA.

Goalkeeper (Rick Stewart) and Safest Hands in Soccer (Gordon Stewart) we’re brilliant as well. 

Hot Shot Hamish and Mighty Mouse weren’t as good but quite funny.

There was also Billy's Boots, a lad who was crap at fitba but when he put on dead shot keens boots he became amazing.

A slight flaw, what happens when his feet grow etc. 

Used to get Roy delivered weekly.  Also loved the annuals.

Through the 70’s, Whenever Roy and the lads played a European team, they always had to deal with cheating, corruption or some other type of elaborate skullduggery. Fortunately 

the British were always pure and trustworthy. Not like them dirty b*****ds from the continent.