UEFA Europa Conference league

Robin.Hood

Loving the Spurs schadenfreude. One major trophy in 30 years. An absolute nothing club.

"Lads, it's Tottenham".

The commentator was saying Spurs had to win that. Are they out now?

E.t.a. just googled and they can get 2nd if they beat an unbeaten Rennes side. They'd have a 2 legged playoff afterwards though. It strikes me that these bigger teams don't give a shit about this competition. Get it up them.

Edited by velo army

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Loving the Spurs schadenfreude. One major trophy in 30 years. An absolute nothing club.

"Lads, it's Tottenham".

The commentator was saying Spurs had to win that. Are they out now?

Not out, but they can’t win the group which would send them through to the round of 16. They can still go through to the round of 32. Level on points with Vitesse, and need to match their result in the final group games.

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Not out, but they can’t win the group which would send them through to the round of 16. They can still go through to the round of 32. Level on points with Vitesse, and need to match their result in the final group games.

Match their result and also hope that Vitesse don't win by three goals at home to Mura.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ahemps said:

I think Spurs will be delighted with this. 

I think you're probably not wrong. 

The players have treated the tournament with utter contempt and given it seems we had the requisite 13 players plus goalie available, I hope UEFA do kick our sorry arses out of the competition so we can concentrate on trying to finish 6th instead of 7th (or below). There is an undeniable feeling around the supporters (and I assume club) that we are above the tournament but the simple facts are we finished 7th last season and you get what you deserve, as a consequence of a load of reasons.  If you're not going to take the event seriously, and personally I had no real problem with that, then play the kids and see how far they get.  We started that way, it didn't work, we then brought in most of the 1st team, and that didn't work as planned either.  Absolute shitshow of a club. 

15 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

I think you're probably not wrong. 

The players have treated the tournament with utter contempt and given it seems we had the requisite 13 players plus goalie available, I hope UEFA do kick our sorry arses out of the competition so we can concentrate on trying to finish 6th instead of 7th (or below). There is an undeniable feeling around the supporters (and I assume club) that we are above the tournament but the simple facts are we finished 7th last season and you get what you deserve, as a consequence of a load of reasons.  If you're not going to take the event seriously, and personally I had no real problem with that, then play the kids and see how far they get.  We started that way, it didn't work, we then brought in most of the 1st team, and that didn't work as planned either.  Absolute shitshow of a club. 

I have no issue with Spurs not wanting to be in this tournament. I also think UEFA have done this half heartedly.

The name 'conference' doesn't really inspire.

If you are going to make a 3rd tournament which is meant for the lower ranked nations then why not cut it off somewhere so the likes of the top 10 countries in the coeff table don't enter a team in it.

Or if you do want the bigger clubs to care then give the winner of this a CL place then the likes of Roma and Spurs would take it serious and the manager of Leicester might even remember it's name.

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I have no issue with Spurs not wanting to be in this tournament. I also think UEFA have done this half heartedly.

The name 'conference' doesn't really inspire.

If you are going to make a 3rd tournament which is meant for the lower ranked nations then why not cut it off somewhere so the likes of the top 10 countries in the coeff table don't enter a team in it.

Or if you do want the bigger clubs to care then give the winner of this a CL place then the likes of Roma and Spurs would take it serious and the manager of Leicester might even remember it's name.

Agreed. Have something like the last 4 qualify for next season's EL with possibly the winners being further up the qualifying stages than the rest of the qualifiers.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The winners qualify for the group stage of next year's Europa League.

You are quite correct, apologies for the mistake.  But I would give some further incentive to those finishing in the final stages of the tournament.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Surely the incentive is to win a trophy?

Of course but going back to the point where the tournament could/should be for the supposed lower ranked nations of Europe, this would be a way of giving the better teams in tournament to opportunity to 'upscale' to play the next level of European teams. Anyway, all this doesn't change that we've not given the tournament no serious consideration at all, to the point where we chose not to play the tie even though we had the necessary number of players available, supposedly.

I really don’t understand Spurs “too big for this tournament” attitude, given they’ve won f**k all in such a long time.

I get it’s not the tournament they want, or think they deserve to be in, but winning a European trophy of any kind is surely a step up in a season where the usual mark of success is top 4 in the league. At least it would be something rather than the usual nothing.

Edited by Jambomo

54 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

I don’t get the attitude of English teams. 

They don’t seem to give a toss about 3 of the 4 competitions they enter any given season. 

What is the point? 

It's a weird cycle - try hard in the league to qualify for Europe so you that you can not give a toss about Europe and focus on the league so you can qualify for Europe...

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It's a weird cycle - try hard in the league to qualify for Europe so you that you can not give a toss about Europe and focus on the league so you can qualify for Europe...

...then because of the lost coefficient points after not caring you drop down to pot 3, making it harder to progress in Europe so you focus on the league... 

Spurs scored 5 points this season - only Arsenal with 0 were lower in the top 30 clubs - when they previously scored 21, 26, 16, 15. Will hurt them for many years once the big numbers drop off.

Edited by Ginaro