Shitey home support

AndyX

For most of the last 23 years the Scotland team didn't deserve the support the fans showed.
Today was different.....
Imagine waiting so long for a tournament, being one of the few who gets a ticket, not seen a real game for over a year, and then completely disappearing from the moment your team goes behind.
Sorry but that was a really shitey home support.  I know that there wasn't that many fans there, but I've been in small crowds at Hampden that offered *far* more to support the team.
Darren Fletcher clearly noticed it but was trying to be diplomatic.
The team were better than the support today - and the team weren't great[emoji34]
I left after the second goal went in, don't feel guilty in the slightest. Come at me.

Thought the crowd was fine for under 10k went a bit flat a couple of times but there was certainly songs after we were behind, bit strange getting the songs started as the normal North Stand core support were spread out around the ground. What baffled me was FT really no need for the booing, yes we lost but it was hardly a shocking performance.  

On the other side of the coin WTF was with people applauding? We lost 2-0 at home to a bang average team we beat recently.  Are our expectations now just taking part? I know we’ve not qualified for a while but I’m not applauding us off after we’ve played poorly and lost.  I understand for some this is their first Tournament but we’re not North Macedonia or Finland and never qualified before we shouldn’t be just happy to be there, all 3 games are winnable and we’ve got decent players in our team.  

Edited by San Starko Rover

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Also doesn't help that people had been in the stadium since 11 o clock - I've never seen a less 'refreshed' Scotland support.

Said that to my mates on the way out of the stadium. Normally at Hampden you'll see a lot of---let's be honest here---drunks but I didn't see anyone yesterday who looked anything other than completely sober. 

I thought the atmosphere was a lot better than I expected. As has already been mentioned, there were 40k empty seats, the "singing sections" were totally dispersed throughout the ground, and everyone was spread out making it difficult for anyone to start a song. 

Even with all that, the atmosphere was pretty decent up until their second goal. Yes, it would have been nice to keep some positivity up but at that point there was f**k all to be positive about. I don't think any fan base in the world would have reacted differently at that point. 

Whoever came up with the "stagger arrival times to avoid crowds of people congregating but just let everyone leave all at once" policy needs shot. What the f**k was the point in that? 

If there was covid spread yesterday, I guarantee it was in the stairwells at full time. 

23 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

On the other side of the coin WTF was with people applauding? We lost 2-0 at home to a bang average team we beat recently.  Are our expectations now just taking part? I know we’ve not qualified for a while but I’m not applauding us off after we’ve played poorly and lost.  I understand for some this is their first Tournament but we’re not North Macedonia or Finland and never qualified before we shouldn’t be just happy to be there, all 3 games are winnable and we’ve got decent players in our team.  

In fairness this was the first chance we'd had to thank the team for getting there.

It wasn't a bad performance, it was decided by two moments of quality and one bad mistake from Hendry. If we had a forward with that ability we'd probably have won.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Also doesn't help that people had been in the stadium since 11 o clock - I've never seen a less 'refreshed' Scotland support.

Yeah, it really could not have been worse for atmosphere. Long wait, early kick off, midweek too. 

30 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In fairness this was the first chance we'd had to thank the team for getting there.

It wasn't a bad performance, it was decided by two moments of quality and one bad mistake from Hendry. If we had a forward with that ability we'd probably have won.

Surely we thanked them at the start of the game? They were given a great reception during the entire warm up, ok poorly is a little harsh but they weren’t good and were toothless up top. I’m just not a fan of clapping or booing our team unless the performance merits it and yesterday’s for me certainly didn’t merit either response.  I’ve clapped our team after defeats in the past when we’ve given our all but just been outclassed by a better team and I’ve booed them off the park a few times over the last 30+ years when they’ve been rank rotten. Yesterday I just headed for the exit. 

Edited by San Starko Rover