Your first XI vs England

Where did you see that? (Not questioning it, just wondered?)  
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/kieran-tierney-england-v-scotland-24328269.amp?__twitter_impression=true

"I wouldn't think" is actually slightly more encouraging, as is the fact it was yesterday's presser. Maybe I've been clickbaited. 20210616_090710.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He’s our weakest player by a mile and probably the worst player in the whole tournament.

I will say he is not the worst player in the tournament. That would currently be my Golden Boot sweepstake pick, Donyell Malen who had a total number of zero minutes and as much chance of scoring for the Netherlands as a P&B member has of scoring with any of those lovely women in the pictures on the “Women of the Euros” thread.

16 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I will say he is not the worst player in the tournament. That would currently be my Golden Boot sweepstake pick, Donyell Malen who had a total number of zero minutes and as much chance of scoring for the Netherlands as a P&B member has of scoring with any of those lovely women in the pictures on the “Women of the Euros” thread.

Ok, worst player to have started a game in the tournament !!

I understand manager protect his players but Clarke's defence of O'Donnell makes for worrying reading - "What did he do wrong".  Unless quasi-mind games it furthers the predictable suggestion he'll start again.

Marshall has to start against England.

People calling for Turnbull ahead of Gilmour are mental. Seems to just be Well fans though.

Get O'Donnell to absolute f**k

Edited by FrankChickens1

What I would prefer versus what I think Clarke will go for. I think Clarke will drop McTominay back into centre half, more so if KT is out. I think Clarke might go with Hendry or Hanley. Toss up. I'd have Hendry

scotland-euros-xi-eng-5de71c9723ee521790cfcc822f043172.jpg

scotland-euros-xi-eng-cd5cae610f6d0c92a6e2cbcc3c4ad14e.jpg

Edited by the snudge

On 15/06/2021 at 11:13, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I've looked through the last four World Cups and the last four European Championships, and every time three points would be enough to put you in contention.

The problem, however, is goal difference.

We either need two groups where 3rd place scores 1/2 points (happened in Euro 2008 but there are very few examples of it happening elsewhere), or you need the 3rd placed teams to have a poor GD.

The reality is that we're be looking at a (-2) unless we can somehow run up a score on Croatia.

image.png.3b2c3403e89aaed704a08aa8e32d8c85.png

Finland score not dreadful as they now have a 0 GD and play Belgium next. Russia have a -2 and would expect them to lose to Denmark.

Denmark-Belgium score not relevant if we still expect them to come 1st/2nd. Perhaps a draw would be ideal, as that makes wins ideally needed for both.

Wales-Turkey would ideally be a draw, with Switzerland to lose to Italy. Wales losing to Italy in the final game would then mean the other result irrelevant for third place, as the maximum would be 2 points.

Still too many permutations at this stage to predict anything of any certainty, and a lot turns on our result with England.

edit: Wales beating Turkey isn’t great, but relies on the Swiss getting no more than a draw in their last two games. 

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Finland score not dreadful as they now have a 0 GD and play Belgium next. Russia have a -2 and would expect them to lose to Denmark.
Denmark-Belgium score not relevant if we still expect them to come 1st/2nd. Perhaps a draw would be ideal, as that makes wins ideally needed for both.

I'd much rather Belgium hammered Denmark tbh. Just in case Denmark finish 3rd. Finland can still finish top of the group on H2H so Belgium won't be dropping the entire team for the last game anyway.
If I'm reading the tie breakers correctly Denmark can still finish 2nd with a 2-0+ win against Russia no matter how much they theoretically lose by tonight.

7 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Im off to find this lovely woman of the euros thread to cheer myself up, cheers 🍻 

Edited by BingMcCrosby

31 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I'd much rather Belgium hammered Denmark tbh. Just in case Denmark finish 3rd. Finland can still finish top of the group on H2H so Belgium won't be dropping the entire team for the last game anyway.
If I'm reading the tie breakers correctly Denmark can still finish 2nd with a 2-0+ win against Russia no matter how much they theoretically lose by tonight.

Assuming Belgium win 1-0 tomorrow, Finland would need to win by 2 to go through on H2H.

If Denmark lose tomorrow, their GD versus Russia needs to be at least equal in order to finish above (equal because they’d then go through on H2H).

The tie breaker is goal difference first. The reason for that is that you can’t do H2H first, only to have a poorer GD put a 3rd placed team out, whereby if the 4th placed team would have gone through instead…

i.e. If we beat England 10-0, and lost to Croatia 1-0, who also lost to the Czechs 10-0, we’d have to go through in 3rd place. Otherwise you’d have a 4th placed team with a +7 GD and a 3rd placed team with -10 GD.

In order to compare against groups, the comparison has to be fair as possible. H2H is entirely arbitrary when compared across groups.

53 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Assuming Belgium win 1-0 tomorrow, Finland would need to win by 2 to go through on H2H.

Why? H2H is the first tiebreaker and if Finland beat Belgium by any scoreline they would be top (assuming Russia aren't also on 6pts).

If Denmark lose tomorrow, their GD versus Russia needs to be at least equal in order to finish above (equal because they’d then go through on H2H).

The tie breaker is goal difference first. The reason for that is that you can’t do H2H first, only to have a poorer GD put a 3rd placed team out, whereby if the 4th placed team would have gone through instead…

i.e. If we beat England 10-0, and lost to Croatia 1-0, who also lost to the Czechs 10-0, we’d have to go through in 3rd place. Otherwise you’d have a 4th placed team with a +7 GD and a 3rd placed team with -10 GD.

In order to compare against groups, the comparison has to be fair as possible. H2H is entirely arbitrary when compared across groups.

I don't think that's true.  They sort out who finished where in each group first and then every 3rd place team is ranked against one another according to that.

Edited by charger29

57 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, the above post is bollocks, it's head-to-head first.

That's interesting, because numerous sources quote the opposite: 

Football London

According to UEFA, if two teams are level on points at the end of the group stage – the team with the better goal difference will advance.

If they are tied on goal difference also then the team who advances will be determined by head-to-head.

TalkSport

But if the teams cannot be separated by points, whichever team has the highest goal difference finishes higher up the table.

If the table cannot be decided through points or goal difference, it then goes to the number of goals scored in the group stages.

Daily Mirror:

According to tournament rules, goal difference will be the ultimate separator between sides tied on points throughout the group stages. However, if two teams happen to have the same goal difference too, then head-to-head results between the teams tied will be the differentiator.

And yet, the official competition rules state the opposite.  I wonder what press release was sent out which resulted in so many outlets getting it completely wrong.

image.png.dc266336c036bc22b5850161daf5338d.png

I stand corrected...

23 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

That's interesting, because numerous sources quote the opposite: 

Football London

TalkSport

Daily Mirror:

And yet, the official competition rules state the opposite.  I wonder what press release was sent out which resulted in so many outlets getting it completely wrong.

image.png.dc266336c036bc22b5850161daf5338d.png

I stand corrected...

I would wager TalkSport and the Mirror just writing what they please as their readers/listeners are largely made up of numpties.

46 minutes ago, velo army said:

I would wager TalkSport and the Mirror just writing what they please as their readers/listeners are largely made up of numpties.

Wouldn’t disagree. I went searching for the “Euro 2020 Group tiebreakers” and there’s a huge amount of results that state that.

Back to the drawing board…!

Will review again and revise.