Anyone else feeling emotional about this?

Thorongil

I'm actually kind of meh.

Maybe it's 25 years of abject shite and failing to qualify, maybe it's Covid, maybe it's the fact I'm stuck at work, maybe it's the almost inevitable disaster lurking around the corner but I'm kind of meh. 

Sorry everyone. I'll just go back to Planet Vulcan and read my logic books. 

I grew up being weirdly not that into football. My Da is English, having moved up here when he was 16. He's not super into the game beyond watching a bit of it and playing when he was younger. But generally it doesn't matter much to him, and that probably rubbed off on me when I was younger. I remember rushing home from school to watch us against Brazil in 98, but not really much more than that. In fact, I remember England going out in 98 more than Scotland.

Fast forward to recent times and I'm very much Scottish  and would have very much liked to see us at a tournament. Got very emotional when we qualified, and in the run up to kick off today there was the same feelings.

Now? Only thing I'm looking forward to for us is the fact that I'm making a night of the England game with pals. Well, one. The other was working at the G7 and his team got covid, now he's stuck down there. Not the best day for him.

Aye I'm feeling emotional right now, but it's a feeling of deflation and just feeling sad. That second Czech goal had my bottom lip wobbling knowing that this was probably game over for us. Keeping SOD on for so long given his head had gone after about 15mins was baffling. Seeing Slovakia come out with vigour and purpose to get a result was even more sickening given our utterly lacklustre performance.

Aye, still emotional.

I think the most emotional thing for me was being stood at Hampden at kick off, realising the full extent of what covid had robbed from us all. Our first game at a major tournament in 23 years, at Hampden? It should have been a glorious celebration regardless of result. 

In normal times the place would have been absolutely jumping. Friends of mine who have been going to games together for decades had tickets but either lost them due to the reduced capacity or being unable to travel (thanks Covid). 

Although the atmosphere in the ground was about as good as I could have hoped for in the circumstances it definitely felt bittersweet - we were robbed of a proper cathartic moment. The game itself was almost irrelevant to that. 

16 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

I think the most emotional thing for me was being stood at Hampden at kick off, realising the full extent of what covid had robbed from us all. Our first game at a major tournament in 23 years, at Hampden? It should have been a glorious celebration regardless of result. 

In normal times the place would have been absolutely jumping. Friends of mine who have been going to games together for decades had tickets but either lost them due to the reduced capacity or being unable to travel (thanks Covid). 

Although the atmosphere in the ground was about as good as I could have hoped for in the circumstances it definitely felt bittersweet - we were robbed of a proper cathartic moment. The game itself was almost irrelevant to that. 

If I can offer a bit of perspective, if we'd played the nation's Leagues games when we should have we would have been pumped. Covid gave us time to bed in a more competent manager. Not trying to gaslight your point though. Not being able to have a full Hampden is a huge loss.

I was an emotional wreck in the build-up yesterday (especially when seeing all the players belting out the national anthem) only for all of that to be undone when O'Donnell fumbled the ball on the sideline and not long after, took the ball off Christie after just 15 mins. Knew exactly where the day was going after that. 

9 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I'm sure we were already 2 down when SOD tackled Christie although I could be wrong I was pretty pissed.

It was in the first half, well before any goals. Aye, he was in full competition winner mode.

I had a tear in my eye during Dignity and Loch Lomond before the game.

But both times they shut the song off early to go to some shitey Euro 2020 segment. Totally took me out the moment.

O Flower of Scotland was a bit of a rabble as well cause the fans and music was totally out of sync from where i was, so wasnt able to get into it 

I'm sure we were already 2 down when SOD tackled Christie although I could be wrong I was pretty pissed.
This was f*cking ridiculous. It was a really promising incisive drive towards goal by Christie - by far his highlight of the match. All for SOD to come steaming comically in and wreck it.

Good meme potential - Maradona's 1986 dribble around the England team halted at the last by the sudden appearance of Stephen 'blundering moron' O'Donnell. Moon landings 'one small step' moment ruined by flailing SOD, etc ec

11 hours ago, Empty It said:

it was 0-0 i think at that point, but i am sick of hearing "o'donnell has never let scotland down" he probably hasn't made major errors but he certainly isn't good enough. 

11 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

it was 0-0 i think at that point, but i am sick of hearing "o'donnell has never let scotland down" he probably hasn't made major errors but he certainly isn't good enough. 

It was 0 - 0

I keep having horrible thoughts that there was another H#ns#n /  Miller coming together in the game , but maybe I am just trying to forget their second goal

Edited by ewan14