Food/Drink That You Can No Longer Buy

7 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Villa and Clyde, what more could you ask for? Were these made in the 1950s? Just wondering why it only mentions 2 of Clyde's 3 Cup wins

They must be from the 50’s as I can recall early 60’s ones and the strips weren’t as old fashioned. 

Edited by Eednud

Can't see any mention of Chelsea Whoppers. They were the sweet of choice to use up any spare change when I was in Primary School. So if you bought a can of Irn Bru for 32p and you had 40p on you, you'd ask for the rest in Chelsea Whoppers. Superbly sweet, chewy and chocolatey.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Herring, not processed, smoked or pickled, just straight forward fresh herring, which used to be a staple healthy Scottish food.

I take it most if not all our now scarce herring is now sold abroad as it makes more money?

Guy round our way used to sell herring from his car boot. His car must have been stinking

Herring, not processed, smoked or pickled, just straight forward fresh herring, which used to be a staple healthy Scottish food.
I take it most if not all our now scarce herring is now sold abroad as it makes more money?
We still catch them on tiny silver lures when trying to catch sandeels for bait. Plenty in the lower Clyde and around Kintyre. Split while still steely blue backed and dipped in oatmeal then fried one of the finest eating fish.

On 21/06/2021 at 11:42, Snafu said:

Is it not highly seasonal and only about for like 6/8 weeks

On 13/06/2021 at 21:44, ArabGaz said:

The crisps of Kings.

77A509F4-CB70-4A47-860D-A27C4D12C277.jpeg

Loved these to an alarming degree. Also, the Highlander Prawn Cocktail crisps were coated in so much paprika that you got a pleasant tingle in your mouth for about 30 mins.

On 14/06/2021 at 08:08, Karpaty Lviv said:

2BFA92AB-153A-4356-A85D-7DF22B8F126B.jpeg

Think already mentioned that you still get them. They're not quite the same; now made by Golden Wonder, but close enough. Similar situation to their Powerful Prawns, which have replaced Petrified Prawns in the shops.

Grocery Gems: Golden Wonder Quarterbacks - Cheeseburger Flavour Corn Snacks!

On 14/06/2021 at 17:44, BFTD said:

How big exactly were Big Wagon Wheels?

Never sure if this is an "everything's getting smaller" thing, or if it's just an "I've been slowly getting bigger since I was wee and I'm too thick to realise" situation. My pet peeve in this area has always been Big Macs; they were roughly the size of a standard 1984 hamburger when last I checked.

The smaller a Wagon Wheel is the better it is. Ghastly things.

On 16/06/2021 at 23:25, Arch Stanton said:

Is it still available anywhere? Seemed to disappear when S&N was bought over by Heineken.

McEwan's Lager - Eagle Brewery (formerly Charles Wells) | Photos - Untappd

Also utter filth. Hell in a can.

Edited by milton75

24 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I remembered Birds Ice Magic today for the first time in years.

They stopped selling it in 2009 but you can get similar gunk I believe.

Good shout, I remember getting it and thinking it was chocolate sauce not something that turned my bowl of ice cream into a shit Vienetta 

image.jpeg.ee74a23df75896fbdfa85ececd615975.jpeg

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I remembered Birds Ice Magic today for the first time in years.

They stopped selling it in 2009 but you can get similar gunk I believe.

I read a thing about it the other day, weirdly enough. Apparently it's mainly coconut oil, which is why it solidifies with the cold of the ice cream, but is as fatty as all f**k, so it's maybe a good thing it's gone; none of us getting any younger.