CaspianChris

Group D (Croatia, Czech Rep, England, Scotland)

5 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

If the fanzone passes by without hospitalisations linked to those attending then it absolutely should allow nursery graduations and whatever else to take place.  

The point that the guy above was making - and I agree is..............Nursery Graduations??????

Whats next - degree ceremonies for 3 days on the trot of not pooping in your pullup pants?

Friday feels like lamb to the slaughter stuff. Like watching an early 2000s Aberdeen team turning up at ibrox or Celtic park. 

You just pray it’s merciful in some way. 

Friday feels like lamb to the slaughter stuff. Like watching an early 2000s Aberdeen team turning up at ibrox or Celtic park. 

Weather the first 20 minutes and we’ll be okay I think.

23 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

So we just need to beat England (who have apparently already won the tournament) at Wembley and then get a result against the runners up from the last World Cup.
I struggle to see why everyone is so pessimistic on here! emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I haven't really seen anything over the top from the media or fans about this England team. They had a solid start and looked good. They absolutely should be looking to win this tournament.  Though I doubt they'd beat Italy or France without some luck.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What could possibly go wrong?

58888CB4-07E8-486E-B944-A522E9A32B7D.jpeg

1 minute ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I have really seen anything over the top from the media or fans about this England team. They had a solid start and looked good. They absolutely should be looking to win this tournament.  Though I doubt they'd beat Italy or France without some luck.

England were at about 60% against a Croatian side that....while maybe not as good as they were 3 years ago, are still a decent team....but their speed of thought and movement combined with their match intelligence were a million miles away from the ponderous, turgid rubbish served up by us yesterday. 

We have Premiership level players of course, but every aspect of our game will have to be sharper and quicker than it was yesterday. Our midfield can't be as anonymous as it was yesterday, and Clarke needs to ditch the Hendry/Hanley/Cooper experiment. 

And pray that Tierney is fit.

36 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The point that the guy above was making - and I agree is..............Nursery Graduations??????

Whats next - degree ceremonies for 3 days on the trot of not pooping in your pullup pants?

A fiend of mine had a graduation ceremony for her puppy. Mortarboard etc, professional photos etc. 

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

This is the problem that always arises for Scotland at tournament football. As I posted on Sunday night, we never do enough in the opening game and we start hoping for miracles that never quite materialise. If we look at history of Scotland in tournament football, then we should get at least one rousing performance but it won't be enough for the second round.

Clarke spoke to the media at the Middlesbrough training camp and said that he didn't think the Czech Republic game was must win. Technically, it wasn't, we could've taken a point and beaten Croatia (I don't think we have a hope in London) but we all knew as fans that a win today would've set us up, eased the nerves and the pressure.

Now he might've said one thing to the media and another thing to the players but his team selection today didn't give any impression of a man keen to seize the moment and take the game to the Czechs.

It felt like our only hope was to hang on grimly with the players he chose, and then maybe win the game with the better players coming off the bench. Utterly bizarre, you play your best XI in preferably their favoured positions.

Clarke had us weaker in 5 maybe 6 positions today due to his baffling team selection.

Unfortunately he can be stubborn but he must ask himself how much his own decision-making contributed to the team's downfall today.

I don't want to pick on SOD, but Clarke has to take the lad out of the firing line on Friday. He had me cringing on a couple of occasions today. I've noticed a couple of times players not releasing the ball to him when he's been in space (Dykes against Luxembourg and Hendry today). If that had been Robertson coming up on the overlap then there's no way Hendry tries that ridiculous attempt on goal. It makes me wonder if the players also are unimpressed with him in training too.

I don't know who he replaces him with. Paterson is a risk due to his inexperience at even club level but I think it's a risk worth taking.

Can Greg Taylor play on the right? Although, I'm not sure about him either...

Surely Suicidal Sid wont be playing again. I liked him at Thistle in 2012 but clearly a championship player at best. It's not his fault Stevie Clarke keeps picking him.

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Cringe well in evidence today. 

We might not get a proportionate share of them, but non-statistical results happen.  I watched Spain pummel Sweden last night for 94 minutes with (according to the BBC) 85% possession and they couldn't score. Strange things happen, but if we turn up at Wembley on Friday with a "woe is me", attitude we definitely will get skelped. 

Turn up, look them straight in the eye and give the [email protected] the game of their lives. If England win, let them know they've been in a game.  Sit back greetin' for a couple of days if we like, but that stops on Friday morning. Even if qualification from the group is said to be virtually impossible so what?  We were surprised to qualify for the tournament in the first place. If Tierney and Gilmore are fit, we have to play them.  I think I heard that Scotland had the lowest number of squad caps in the tournament.  We won't get more experienced players by leaving younger lads on the bench. 

I'm sure it's all been said already, but i'd forgotten the feeling of Scotland turning up at a major tournament and making a c**t of it.  2 games at home, the first of which was very winnable and had to be looked at in the "must win" category and we've absolutely shat the bed.

Never mind the fact that they've made it difficult to actually get knocked out at this stage unless you're absolutely pish.

I understand that the manager is loyal to the players that got us there, but unfortunately there's too many players that started yesterday that just aren't good enough, and some that have been absolutely stinking at club level this season. 

I don't see Clarke changing very much for Friday and I genuinely fear that we could be on for an embarrassment.

17 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Surely Suicidal Sid wont be playing again. I liked him at Thistle in 2012 but clearly a championship player at best. It's not his fault Stevie Clarke keeps picking him.

This is quite obviously utter bollocks though isn't it? He was probably in the top three best right-backs in the top flight under Clarke's management literally two years ago, and has continued to play well at that level since.

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Cringe well in evidence today. 

We might not get a proportionate share of them, but non-statistical results happen.  I watched Spain pummel Sweden last night for 94 minutes with (according to the BBC) 85% possession and they couldn't score. Strange things happen, but if we turn up at Wembley on Friday with a "woe is me", attitude we definitely will get skelped. 

Turn up, look them straight in the eye and give the [email protected] the game of their lives. If England win, let them know they've been in a game.  Sit back greetin' for a couple of days if we like, but that stops on Friday morning. Even if qualification from the group is said to be virtually impossible so what?  We were surprised to qualify for the tournament in the first place. If Tierney and Gilmore are fit, we have to play them.  I think I heard that Scotland had the lowest number of squad caps in the tournament.  We won't get more experienced players by leaving younger lads on the bench. 

Believe it or not, I’m not expecting the team to mirror my feelings on Friday. Quite the opposite. 

Cringe all you like but we showed some very fundamental flaws as a team yesterday against a fairly average side at this level. 

I have no doubt we’ll turn up full of energy, passion and endeavour but it’s not enough I’m afraid. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

All not good enough.

It's never stopped Clarke before (or still now). 

There’s a serious risk we go out with 0 points and 0 goals. I think I’m more concerned about avoiding that than anything else.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

There’s a serious risk we go out with 0 points and 0 goals. I think I’m more concerned about avoiding that than anything else.

I was thinking that earlier, there's a very real chance we won't score in the tournament now.

Just now, TheScarf said:

I was thinking that earlier, there's a very real chance we won't score in the tournament now.

Yes, that scenario is a very real possibility now.

I think we’ll score against Croatia. That’s my wild prediction but I do hope Tierney is back, we missed him so much yesterday.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is quite obviously utter bollocks though isn't it? He was probably in the top three best right-backs in the top flight under Clarke's management literally two years ago, and has continued to play well at that level since.

Yeah not sure why the need to exaggerate tbh. He’s clearly well below international standard, but is a solid mid-table Scottish Premiership player. 

Need to bring in Adams, Fraser, Gilmour and Patterson. 3 players with EPL experience and won't be fazed at all. Patterson might be a bit of a risk but not anymore than o Donnell and he'll give us an option in attack on the right.

Out go Dykes, Christie, o Donnell and Armstrong.

Our midfield matches up pretty well against Englands and their weakness is defence so we need to be on the front foot. If we sit off them and play most of the same team as yesterday we could get pumped 4 or 5 nil. 

ETA I'd bring in Gordon for Marshall aswell.

Edited by GTG_03

4 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Need to bring in Adams, Fraser, Gilmour and Patterson. 3 players with EPL experience and won't be fazed at all. Patterson might be a bit of a risk but not anymore than o Donnell and he'll give us an option in attack on the right.

Out go Dykes, Christie, o Donnell and Armstrong.

Our midfield matches up pretty well against Englands and their weakness is defence so we need to be on the front foot. If we sit off them and play most of the same team as yesterday we could get pumped 4 or 5 nil. 

ETA I'd bring in Gordon for Marshall aswell.

Patterson has shown in the games he's played for us this season in the league and in Europe that the one thing he doesn't lack is confidence.  Of all the things i'd be concerned about throwing him in, that's not one of them.

He may get taken to the cleaners by Sterling or whoever Southgate plays down that wing, but I think he's by far the better option to give us a threat going forward.