CaspianChris

Group D (Croatia, Czech Rep, England, Scotland)

7 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

We had far more possession and double the amount of goal attempts. We lost because our quality up front is rank rotten at this level.

Conceding two goals didn’t help either.

Only saw the highlights, as always it's about players getting 8/10 AND taking the few chances you create. Thought the chance to make it 1-1 could have made a difference, their 2nd just knocked the stuffing out. Let's hope for a ding dong derby at Wembley,if the Scots can up the tempo then we could have a good old British  scrap.

6 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

We had far more possession and double the amount of goal attempts. We lost because our quality up front is rank rotten at this level.

I admire your indefatigability, chief, but that is simplistic nonsense, and doesn't take in to account the goals we conceded.

Our selection, tactics and use of subs were all wrong - and there really is no comfort blanket here - except that we are capable of being better than we were today.

This is why I am irked.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Draw would be fine, we need four points.
Sadly we will be playing a team much better than the Czech Republic away from home.
We will need the performance of a lifetime and a bit of luck to avoid defeat.

This is the problem that always arises for Scotland at tournament football. As I posted on Sunday night, we never do enough in the opening game and we start hoping for miracles that never quite materialise. If we look at history of Scotland in tournament football, then we should get at least one rousing performance but it won't be enough for the second round.

Clarke spoke to the media at the Middlesbrough training camp and said that he didn't think the Czech Republic game was must win. Technically, it wasn't, we could've taken a point and beaten Croatia (I don't think we have a hope in London) but we all knew as fans that a win today would've set us up, eased the nerves and the pressure.

Now he might've said one thing to the media and another thing to the players but his team selection today didn't give any impression of a man keen to seize the moment and take the game to the Czechs.

It felt like our only hope was to hang on grimly with the players he chose, and then maybe win the game with the better players coming off the bench. Utterly bizarre, you play your best XI in preferably their favoured positions.

Clarke had us weaker in 5 maybe 6 positions today due to his baffling team selection.

Unfortunately he can be stubborn but he must ask himself how much his own decision-making contributed to the team's downfall today.

I don't want to pick on SOD, but Clarke has to take the lad out of the firing line on Friday. He had me cringing on a couple of occasions today. I've noticed a couple of times players not releasing the ball to him when he's been in space (Dykes against Luxembourg and Hendry today). If that had been Robertson coming up on the overlap then there's no way Hendry tries that ridiculous attempt on goal. It makes me wonder if the players also are unimpressed with him in training too.

I don't know who he replaces him with. Paterson is a risk due to his inexperience at even club level but I think it's a risk worth taking.

Can Greg Taylor play on the right? Although, I'm not sure about him either...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Really must take something v England.

Looking at 24-team tournaments like Euro 2016... WC 1986 to 1994... etc., never has 1pt been enough to qualify, but only twice has 3pts with negative GD (but 1 involved a dead heat) - and we aren't beating Croatia 3-0/4-0/5-0.

Could well end up with that situation where we need to put 3 past the Croats to finish 2nd in the group on three points.

Edited by Lurkst

9 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't know who he replaces him with. Paterson is a risk due to his inexperience at even club level but I think it's a risk worth taking.

He's got to be worth a shot, either that or Forrest or Fraser at RWB.

12 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Steve Clarke is a complete charlatan 

He is like all previous managers, who wear blinkers as to which teams and which leagues they play in, before looking at all games he can poss. attend, you cannot assume {as he has} that if you play for a certain team the you must be good enough. I think that is a shite way to assess your options!

Edited by candalan

Perhaps from maybe the fans going down, I can't believe anyone, whether supporter, media, coaching staff or player of a Scottish persuasion is looking forward to Friday night now.

For the supporters it will be a night of watching through your fingers in fear.

What a difference it would've been if we had won today though. Perhaps it was just as well we didn't. We're already faced with stark reality of the situation. Anything that isn't a mauling will be water off a duck's back for us now...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

33 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Could well end up with that situation where we need to put 3 past the Croats to finish 2nd in the group on three points.

Sadly, I think this is our best shot. Of course it requires Croatia and England to beat Czech. Ideally with Croatia beating them as narrowly as possible but then England destroying them. It would then be a shoot-out between us and Croatia with us having to make-up the goal difference. If Croatia beat Czech by a goal and we lose to England by a goal then I think you're right that we'd need a 3 goal win in the last game.

Clearly the chances of that happening would be next to nothing. But it at least gives us something to play for in the last game. We should know the situation going into the England game, if Czech and Croatia have drawn then we'll need a point from England to have any chance. If Croatia win by a goal then a goal defeat for us at Wembley would at least give us a shot in the last game.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Sadly, I think this is our best shot. Of course it requires Croatia and England to beat Czech. Ideally with Croatia beating them as narrowly as possible but then England destroying them. It would then be a shoot-out between us and Croatia with us having to make-up the goal difference. If Croatia beat Czech by a goal and we lose to England by a goal then I think you're right that we'd need a 3 goal win in the last game.

Clearly the chances of that happening would be next to nothing. But it at least gives us something to play for in the last game. We should know the situation going into the England game, if Czech and Croatia have drawn then we'll need a point from England to have any chance. If Croatia win by a goal then a goal defeat for us at Wembley would at least give us a shot in the last game.

52 mins into tournament and mathematical miracles required

I think a wee bit of perspective is needed.

Scotland have now graced the Euros on 3 occasions and in each one they have left their mark.

In 92 some guy got a kiss on the cheek from a polis wummin.

In 96 we helped Gazza  become the idol of the English nation.

Today, David Marshall got lobbed from Mount Florida station.

#WeHaveAMeme 

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In last dozen years Croatia have only lost by 3 goals to Portugal + Spain (both in Nations League); plus fielding weakened XI in friendly v Estonia (rested 9 players).

Only lost by 3+ goals on 9 occasions in their entire 328-game history.

Only ever lost a finals tie by 3+ goals once and that was 1996.

Only lost by 4+ goals twice in their entire history.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Not necessarily on this thread but the funeral party vibes in general are starting to get on my tits a wee bit already. Today was a gut punch aye but we likely always needed to get something from at least one of England and Croatia no matter what, if we do pull something out the bag at Wembley now it would be all the fucking sweeter.

With that said I am expecting 0 from 9 though

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't want to pick on SOD, but Clarke has to take the lad out of the firing line on Friday. He had me cringing on a couple of occasions today. I've noticed a couple of times players not releasing the ball to him when he's been in space (Dykes against Luxembourg and Hendry today). If that had been Robertson coming up on the overlap then there's no way Hendry tries that ridiculous attempt on goal. It makes me wonder if the players also are unimpressed with him in training too.

I feel the same. Don't want to stick the boot into a lad who's doing his best, but the guy is simply miles off the standard. He can't possibly play on Friday after basically embarrassing himself in front of a continent yesterday. He must be shot to bits, and as you point out, he doesn't have the confidence of his teammates, which seems fair enough.

I think Clarke failed him yesterday. We don't have great options on the right, but when you have an obviously weak part of your team, you arrange your side to minimise that part of the team's involvement in the game. O'Donnell was heavily involved in the first half, often with almost comically negative outcomes. That's just poor planning from the coach.

This isn't a wise-after-the-event reaction. Pretty much everyone I spoke to or was texting etc yesterday predicted before the game that he'd be a problem. The coach didn't prepare for that. It was grim viewing and you're not going to win many games at a level like this with a weak link like him.

David Marshall is a complete embarassment. Should never play for Scotland again after that performance 

David Marshall is a complete embarassment. Should never play for Scotland again after that performance 
Performance? I expect you mean "mistake"? Other than that his performance was absolutely fine.