CaspianChris

Group D (Croatia, Czech Rep, England, Scotland)

4 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Oh god that game was a nightmare a couple of people in watched that with went into rage mode when Burley got sent off.

Funnily enough before kickoff they had been it's only Morocco it's an easy Scotland win 😂😂

I’d have been 20 and it went from being a party atmosphere in a beer garden to a bad tempered wake within about 20 minutes of kick off. Grim!

Still feels surreal that we are actually at a major tournament, bricking it but silently confident of a 2-0 win..

I was 6 in 1998 so have fuzzy memories of the opening game vs Brazil and watching it with my granda, he’s unfortunately got dementia now so can’t really appreciate the football as much as before, he would have been buzzing for today like I am and it would have been great to sit with him and go through the pain and highs together.. but anyway enough depressing shit fae me let’s do it Scotland cmon 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🙌 need to win this ane and give ourselves a brilliant chance of qualifying. 

I was 20 in 1998 I was studying International studies now 'm 43  and had a life time since we played Morocco. 

Edited by A_Veitch

I was 17 back in 1998 inever thought that it would be such a long wait till Scotlands next major tournament. 

Remember after elimination from France being like ah well there is always the Euros in 2 years time.

That worked out well 😂😂

In Curry's sorting out a long overdue phone upgrade and Letter From America is on the speakers. 

Standing here nearly greeting. 

My annual leave request got rejected (my own fault for leaving it as late as I did to be fair) do I'm stuck in work this afternoon. Will hopefully be able to slope away and get at least some of it watched on my phone. I'm a nervous wreck already.

Took the day off but putting in a couple of hours work to help pass the time in the morning.

We could be swept along on a tidal wave of euphoria and win 3-0, completely fail to turn up ala the Morocco match and lose 3-0, or anything in between.

Not sure anything would surprise me results wise today.

I'm working from home but one of the luxuries of being one of the team leads where i work is i can just make myself go on busy and say i'm working on completing stuff in the background and no one will bother me for a couple of hours 😄.

Edited by A_Veitch

I'm glad I don't have a 9-5 job. I'm pretty much guaranteed to be able to watch every Scotland match regardless of our route to the final by virtue of swapping shifts.

Now I'm not saying that was the main reason I changed jobs last month...

Off work this week plus Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday next week. Never been to a finals game involving Scotland. (Lived in Australia in 1998).

Gutted not to be there, but my brother has my ticket, and father is using the ticket from my mate in Hanover.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I picked the wrong day to be starting a new job :lol:

Still working from home though, so hopefully the afternoon will be a leaving you to get on with things type affair after a morning of meetings and being taken through things.

Zoom, cameras turned on and ice breakers scheduled for 2pm.

Was at both Euro 96 and France 98. Fantastic memories and, like everyone else, I assumed another tournament would come along shortly!

Working from home but there seems to be general acceptance that no-one is going to be doing any work.

Pretty nervous as I think this game is crucial.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I picked the wrong day to be starting a new job :lol:

Still working from home though, so hopefully the afternoon will be a leaving you to get on with things type affair after a morning of meetings and being taken through things.

Nothing you can do when your internet goes down at 1:55pm

It does feel surreal to be back, I grew up used to us qualifying. It always seemed the games we should have won we didnt or we didnt do enough in. Today I dont think we have under estimated anyone and we know it will be a tough game. I feel confident we can get the win and do whats expected of us for a change. 

My main memory from 98 was watching the first half of the Brazil match.

Then I had to go to work and when I got in I asked this woman what the score was and she said 'Tom Boyd scored' and I'm like 'Boyd scored?!' and she's like 'aye'.

I honestly thought we'd beaten Brazil for the rest of the night.

Current feeling: Excited that Santa is coming, but realistically concerned that he's coming to perform root canal.

Utterly shiting it now, but will be fine come 2pm. Working til 2 as my colleague is coming in early to cover me. Absolute gem.