Robin.Hood

Referees in this tournament

37 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Been a tough match for Anthony Taylor tonight but he did well in handling it all. 

Aye, 100%.

Must be a really difficult situation for a ref that. Especially with the decision to restart the game and all that.

I dont think Taylor is a great ref, but you cant do anything but admire the way him and his team handled things tonight.

Been a tough match for Anthony Taylor tonight but he did well in handling it all. 
Aye, 100%.
Must be a really difficult situation for a ref that. Especially with the decision to restart the game and all that.
I dont think Taylor is a great ref, but you cant do anything but admire the way him and his team handled things tonight.
I'd agree with the tough match, under horrendous circumstances.
The pressure from UEFA to complete the tie must have been ridiculous. As the players & match officials were in no state to give total concentration to the rest of the game.
Resultant in the disgraceful penalty decision, which the VAR team agreed with!, reeked off evening the game up.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

I'd agree with the tough match, under horrendous circumstances.
The pressure from UEFA to complete the tie must have been ridiculous. As the players & match officials were in no state to give total concentration to the rest of the game.
Resultant in the disgraceful penalty decision, which the VAR team agreed with!, reeked off evening the game up.

Pen would never have been given  pre var.  But refs now think I'll give it so they can check 

But var doesn't like overulling ref pen decisions 

Why the system doesn't work 

Who has been appointed for our game tomorrow?
As long as it's not Gollum or Madman, they're in with a chance.

Daniel Siebert apparently. Think he’s German

On 12/06/2021 at 21:02, Jambomo said:

At the restart he happily stood and watched the ball get put back in play about 30 yards away from where it went out. Should never ref again. :angry:

On 12/06/2021 at 19:46, Chapelhall chap said:

You could be correct. Having watched it last night and not spotting he was off the park, it used to be an offence if a player came back on the field without it being part of an active attacking situation, and a foul was awarded-sometimes a yellow card: so I guess that's why he flagged, but it was the only Italian move that went wrong. Early days to be commenting on the Refs etc.

The lino did flag for offside (wrongly) - flag raised in right hand, then when whistle blown, indicated that it was a near side offside. An aberration, as you can’t be offside from a corner. Wasn’t any other offence, where the flag would have been raised in the left hand (indicating restart with a free kick for defending side), especially not for entering the field (or leaving) without permission, which would have required a yellow card.

Edited by Ann Dan Otherthing

Don't think the refs have been too bad decision wise so far but virtually every game they have got in the way of the ball and of players.

It's like they have been told to get as close to the action as possible instead of keeping out the way.

3 times in the Scotland v Czech game, Scotland were awarded a foul and tried to take it quickly. Each time the ref blew his whistle and stopped them, giving the Czechs time to recover.

8 hours ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

The lino did flag for offside (wrongly) - flag raised in right hand, then when whistle blown, indicated that it was a near side offside. An aberration, as you can’t be offside from a corner. Wasn’t any other offence, where the flag would have been raised in the left hand (indicating restart with a free kick for defending side), especially not for entering the field (or leaving) without permission, which would have required a yellow card.

Thanks for explanation. I am glad that the officials have such an approach and I just have to guess.

On 14/06/2021 at 16:09, scottsdad said:

3 times in the Scotland v Czech game, Scotland were awarded a foul and tried to take it quickly. Each time the ref blew his whistle and stopped them, giving the Czechs time to recover.

They should really only be doing that if showing a card, which wasn’t the case!

Any opposition player still standing within 10 yards of the free kick location 5 seconds after the whistle goes should be booked.  (Unless the ref is booking someone for the foul.) 

Of course, the first time this sensible measure is used, it will be a Scotland player who already has a booking, so will be sent off!

Seriously though, the blocking of quick free kicks does my head in. 

On 16/06/2021 at 11:27, Salt n Vinegar said:

Any opposition player still standing within 10 yards of the free kick location 5 seconds after the whistle goes should be booked.  (Unless the ref is booking someone for the foul.) 

Of course, the first time this sensible measure is used, it will be a Scotland player who already has a booking, so will be sent off!

Seriously though, the blocking of quick free kicks does my head in. 

I have never understood the advantage to the attacking team (ie the team that was fouled) when the defence are allowed to reset and get organised (and even build a wall ffs) after putting someone up in the air.

and the commentators always seem to justify the prevention of a quick free kick by saying it was taken "too quickly for the referee's liking". As someone said, unless it is a booking, why is anything done by an attacking team who have been disadvantaged by an opposition's foul, happening too quickly for the ref's liking? 

It's usually because the ball is moving or the free-kick has been taken from the wrong place.

Noticed that the referee for Scotland's game is going to be Fernando Andrés Rapallini from Argentina, he did a North Macedonia game and is part of a UEFA-CONMEBOL exchange programme with a Spanish ref going the other way for Copa America. According to a refereeing blog he did well in his first game so let's hope that continues.

Yet another reason for this irritating decision is that the Ref has to get him/herself into an active position. They'd also be slagged for being behind the play if the kick was taken too quickly from their perspective and they then missed a key decision. But it's still really really really annoying. Really.

I've generally been impressed with the refereeing in the tournament so far but that red card decision in the Wales game was a shocker. For me it was a yellow at worst. For VAR to review and agree with the initial call made it worse