The work shy and bone idle....

27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Here's a question - what's the minimum amount of money someone would have to give you to hand in your notice today. You can apply for other jobs, so it's only to walk out of your current job.

And another - what's the minimum annual income you would live on and not do any paid work?

When in was living and working in the UK I would not have left a job for less than I was currently getting paid.  Too much risk of out of the frying pan, into the fire to risk losing money.

Where I am now, I could live off £8,000 but I have my house paid for - 2 adults, 1 child.  I don't see how I could live off less here.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If you are part of a team and you get left with picking up the mess from one person being a lazy p***k then it's your business. 

Yeah but thats not really what im talking about. Thats a specific issue of someone not meeting their obligations which, if not dealt with is poor management. 

Apologies if the op is a bit wooly on the wording, I was more broadly going for attitudes, not specific cases of someone not doing as they are supposed to

11 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Find your passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a billionaire say that in a Ted Talk once. Must be right.

That's the ideal, tbf - as @GordonS said over the page, he's lucky enough to enjoy what he does for a living, which is great, but that's quite rare in my experience.

Think about the sheer number of people who cannae wait for the weekend to come.

Think about Sunday mornings - a long lie in bed with the Mrs, a leisurely breakfast, maybe a nice walk, followed by a few beers in the afternoon, a nice meal in the evening, before cuddling up to watch a movie.

Would you rather do that, or drag yourself out of bed and across town to get to a place you wouldn't otherwise go to, to spend time with people you don't necessarily like, and to do things that you would probably rather not do, then drag yourself back across town to collapse in front of the telly, too tired to do the things that you would actually like to do.

Why would anyone actually want to do that? 

My attitude to work is this. 

Treat me well and I will work hard. Treat me badly and I won’t. 

So many engagement issues in the workplace are caused by people getting annoyed. If someone has a job description and they deliver it very well, what not to do is pile more work onto them and make them do it for free.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

That's the ideal, tbf - as @GordonS said over the page, he's lucky enough to enjoy what he does for a living, which is great, but that's quite rare in my experience.

Think about the sheer number of people who cannae wait for the weekend to come.

Think about Sunday mornings - a long lie in bed with the Mrs, a leisurely breakfast, maybe a nice walk, followed by a few beers in the afternoon, a nice meal in the evening, before cuddling up to watch a movie.

Would you rather do that, or drag yourself out of bed and across town to get to a place you wouldn't otherwise go to, to spend time with people you don't necessarily like, and to do things that you would probably rather not do, then drag yourself back across town to collapse in front of the telly, too tired to do the things that you would actually like to do.

Why would anyone actually want to do that? 

Nobody in their right mind should want to work.

I really enjoy my job. It's what I've wanted to do for ages and I like doing it.

But I wouldn't do it if I could afford not to. A rich auntie I've never heard of leaving me fifty quid and I'd never darken the door of the office again.

I honestly can't imagine the living hell people who don't like their job must go through. I like mine but Monday morning is still Monday morning.

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

My admin assistant is a workshy bone idle c**t.

But I've jacked it in anyway, so he's someone else's burden now.

I’ve just recently told my work that I don’t want the new job they have mapped me to in a restructure. The thing they mapped me to is a health hazard and a demotion in all but pay and grade. So I said no, I’m not accepting that, please pay me a settlement and we’ll say goodbye. 

They have not handled the rejection very well and have made it very difficult and stressful after I refused all overtures to stay. 

I’m the villain now apparently, and they aren’t responsible for their own conduct or decisions which led to my decision. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Reading about the brewdog thing on another forum, one thats utterly riddled with gammon, and so I decided I simply wasnt getting involved over there since its a forum that I use for practical advice and not casual interaction.

One of the most striking things about the conversation was the amount of folk immediately jumped to, these folk are scared of hard work, dont know they are born, back in our day etc etc etc. I am sure you can all imagine. Its chat everyone hears all the time.

But why? "Work ethic" is a completely imagined character trait. The idea that fulfilling your contractual obligation to your employer is something you should be lauded for us mental to me. As is going over and above said obligations.

Why is it anyone elses business if someone doesnt want to work?

It might be hyperbole of me to say its the last acceptable form of discrimination, but the way folk react to people having the audacity to complain about their working conditions is very odd to me and I think a lot of the time, people do walk close to the line of discrimination in the way the regard those they perceive to "work less hard" than them.

Have any P&Bers ever been work shy or bone idle?

Have any P&Bers ever ranted like their auld da' because of they lazy basturts wi their 50 inch plasmas?

Thoughts?

There is many things that these types of people like to moan about, they read papers like the sun etc which has a reading age of 8, and believe it word for word.

for example had a debate with one of these types in work the other day , he mentioned taking the knee was marxist, I asked him what particular part of marxism he didn't like , his response was "its communist" and then asked the same question again, he couldnt answer me with a straight answer. he went to rant about independence and nicola sturgeon. i'd never heard him mention marxism before in the 6 years i've been here. unfortunately tabloids pander to morons like that.

most of these people don't really know what they are moaning about.

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’ve just recently told my work that I don’t want the new job they have mapped me to in a restructure. The thing they mapped me to is a health hazard and a demotion in all but pay and grade. So I said no, I’m not accepting that, please pay me a settlement and we’ll say goodbye. 

They have not handled the rejection very well and have made it very difficult and stressful after I refused all overtures to stay. 

I’m the villain now apparently, and they aren’t responsible for their own conduct or decisions which led to my decision. 

I'm pretty sure they can't make you do another role unless you sign a new contract with the new role in it?  It shouldn't fall under 'any other required company business' or whatever that shite clause you get in contracts is.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm pretty sure they can't make you do another role unless you sign a new contract with the new role in it?  It shouldn't fall under 'any other required company business' or whatever that shite clause you get in contracts is.

No, indeed that can’t and they failed to consult in any way, shape or form. Just told me I was moving to this job on x date. 

I said, “eh, no i’m not”.

Here's a question - what's the minimum amount of money someone would have to give you to hand in your notice today. You can apply for other jobs, so it's only to walk out of your current job.
And another - what's the minimum annual income you would live on and not do any paid work?

1. Probably six figures. The grass is pretty fucking green where I work right now and I'm not really able to get anything better. In fact, I'd probably pay a low four figure sum to never have to apply for another job. I truly detest that process.

2. £10k for sure, but maybe as low as £6k if that was the best I could manage.

9 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I love my job. My employer is a friend. I just want to work for myself, closer to home and preferably less than currently.

42 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Find your passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a billionaire say that in a Ted Talk once. Must be right.

The whole 'follow your passion' stuff almost always kills said passion.

'Passions' don't have to be monetised. I hate this drive to turn everything in to an attempt to make money from it.

40 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Aye that looks more... survivable.

So if someone gave you £10,000 tax free every year, what would you do? Reduce your hours, work elsewhere?

Would definitely reduce my hours and would definitely try to work elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The whole 'follow your passion' stuff almost always kills said passion.

'Passions' don't have to be monetised. I hate this drive to turn everything in to an attempt to make money from it.

Would definitely reduce my hours and would definitely try to work elsewhere.

Well said. If I had to do the things I love in order to make money from them, it would become an obligation and those are things to be tolerated rather than enjoyed.

Edited by Thorongil

Just now, Thorongil said:

Well said. If I had to do the things I love in order to make money from them, it would become an obligation and those are things to be tolerated rather than enjoyed.

Pretty much this.

There are a very few exceptions, like professional footballer or other athlete, but that's not realistic for the vast majority of people.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Pretty much this.

There are a very few exceptions, like professional footballer or other athlete, but that's not realistic for the vast majority of people.

And (unfortunately for those involved) much of the creative industries such as music which is pretty much financially fucked in the short term.

There’s so many threads to this issue; I will only pick up on one.

There is not always a direct correlation between ‘hard work’ and reward.  I have worked hard and have a very nice life style, and, all going well, will soon be enjoying a very nice retirement.

That said, there’s folk who have worked hard all their lives and, due to a number of factors, are not so fortunate.