The work shy and bone idle....

I don't mind the commute.  I listen to podcasts or, if I was feeling stressed, some relaxing music.

I have a doddle of a commute though, don't blame people who have drive all over London or get three buses and trains for not being as keen on it.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't mind the commute.  I listen to podcasts or, if I was feeling stressed, some relaxing music.

I have a doddle of a commute though, don't blame people who have drive all over London or get three buses and trains for not being as keen on it.

Why don't they just MOVE HOUSE. I'm sure somebody from the west coast suggested that as a solution to the commuting problem.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why don't they just MOVE HOUSE. I'm sure somebody from the west coast suggested that as a solution to the commuting problem.

Who was the tosser who suggested this?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

There is only one name, our Morton supporting friend who thinks he's from Scandanavia

F*ck knows how he escape derision for that.  Maybe by disappearing down a Covid rabbit hole?

Whilst that is obviously nonsense, there are a great many people who've chosen an extra £20,000 a year over an extra 10hrs free time a week. They're happy to take the money yet then complain about not having the free time.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Whilst that is obviously nonsense, there are a great many people who've chosen an extra £20,000 a year over an extra 10hrs free time a week. They're happy to take the money yet then complain about not having the free time.

There are also plenty who have chosen to live further from the cities they work in, as they can get a better house for the money. They are, of course, perfectly entitled to make that choice, but they should remember that it is just that, their choice. 

There are also many, probably more so in the big cities down south, who have longish commutes for poorly paid jobs, but who have to take the work where it is and can't afford to move. For them the gentleman from the Riviera's "just move" suggestion was incredibly insulting.

There are also plenty who have chosen to live further from the cities they work in, as they can get a better house for the money. They are, of course, perfectly entitled to make that choice, but they should remember that it is just that, their choice. 
There are also many, probably more so in the big cities down south, who have longish commutes for poorly paid jobs, but who have to take the work where it is and can't afford to move. For them the gentleman from the Riviera's "just move" suggestion was incredibly insulting.
In full agreement there, hence my "a great many" caveat. It's generally not the ones travelling for minimum wage jobs who use anecdotal evidence from their pals to fill Guardian opinion pieces though.

20 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Which one of the Tories advised that everybody in the North move to London if it was hard to find work?

14 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

I think it was a think tank with right wing links rather than a tory. You can understand why they get the big bucks with sensible solutions like that.

ETA: here it is. Thought it was more recent than that but stopped clocks can be comically wrong much more than twice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556937.stm

Ha! Tremendous. I was thinking about a Tory cabinet member who came out with similar as an off-the-cuff remark. Tebbit's the obvious choice, but I don't think it was he.

They produce some absolute stoaters when they let their guard down.

8 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

LTL telling all of Gaza to simply emigrate to Canada if they don't like being killed was a worldie in this vein recently

And have they? No. Clearly they must like being killed.

I am very smart.

Jimmy Carr:

“I saw a charity appeal in The Guardian the other day, and it read, ‘Little Zuki has to walk 13 miles a day just to fetch water.’ And I couldn’t help thinking, ‘she should move.'”

Would gladly give up work, or drastically reduce me hours, if it was affordable. I could easily spend more time with my son,  reading books, doing more exercise, trying to be a lot less shit on the guitar, and a lot more. As it is I have probably averaged 60 hours a week since this time last year, and it doesn't look like that will improve any time soon. Unfortunately, my employer was intelligent enough to make a large part of the bonus system dependent on remaining with the company, and at present I would be writing off a significant value of unvested shares if I went elsewhere, which means it won't be happening any time soon.

Having worked in several industries, including care homes, hospitality and now finance, I also have to laugh at anyone who thinks hard work pays. I'm fortunate now in terms of what I do and what I earn, but for the first 6 years in here I was earning many multiples of what I had in other roles for a very small fraction of the effort. That may be getting paid back with significant interest right now, but you are fucked if I would go back to wiping old peoples arses or working 7 days a week serving pints on what was pretty much a subsistence wage for both. At least with what I am doing now I have a realistic chance of retiring with a half decent pension.

Having worked flat out for a long time, yesterday I found I had (literally) nothing to do. Students all squared away after exam boards. Grant proposal submitted, papers submitted...all I do work-wise now is answer the odd email. Hence, I'm on here posting nonsense. 

It's Friday. Who cares?

On 21/06/2021 at 19:06, Shipa said:

Can you give some concrete examples of people who are in this situation? Because that's really not a recognisable description of the current UK job market. Low-paid job opportunities are plentiful and geographically widespread; it is high-paid/skilled jobs that are geographically restricted. 

Hate to break it to you btw, but all history until now has involved people with far, far more limited means than the downtrodden UK commuter actually relocating to where jobs are instead of demanding the divine right to jump in their car and travel there each day. Which is why Glasgow and Manchester are major population centres and the West Highlands/rural Ireland are not. 

Edited by vikingTON