The work shy and bone idle....

1 minute ago, TAFKAM said:

This is you isn't it

This Urinal Etiquette Game Is Something Every Person Should Master – Unruly  Stowaway

"Can you move over a bit please?"

"Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

Interestingly, after we had our presentation about returning to the office there seems to be a few more people back in the office today, specifically the London office.

I know a few colleagues who live in flats in London are keen to get back because they basically have no space for a seperate working area.  They are essentially living and working in the same room, which is a pretty miserable experience.  My colleague who has gone into the office wherever possible and is in full time atm is in this situation, can't blame him.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Interestingly, after we had our presentation about returning to the office there seems to be a few more people back in the office today, specifically the London office.

I know a few colleagues who live in flats in London are keen to get back because they basically have no space for a seperate working area.  They are essentially living and working in the same room, which is a pretty miserable experience.  My colleague who has gone into the office wherever possible and is in full time atm is in this situation, can't blame him.

Spent lockdown working from home. We then had a 2 bedroom and my oldest (in primary 1, then P2) and the youngest couldn't go to nursery/childminder. I was working in our bedroom as it was the only place I could get any peace and a decent wi-fi signal. It was murder as I was sleeping and working in one room. I can understand why folk in HMOs in London want to get back in.

We moved house to a much bigger house (always the plan- not as drastic as it sounds!) But i chose to go back. 13 months of home working was enough for me. I would have a "study" if things changed again. But if I was in a London bedsit, I'd bite your hand off to get back in the office!

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep...keep your head down and nose clean is the motto here.  Luckily, as you know I'm far from the madness of Manila so we don't see the same levels of the stuff you mention but I still make a point of keeping myself to myself.  It's not hard as the majority of folk around me have nothing in common with me so it's all good. 

I'd swap it for Bali though!

Yup, the week around the elections was always ‘interesting’.

When in the provinces the biggest ‘risk’ was overdoing the hospitality (emperador and Red Horse/Golden Eagle). 

Yes, Bali is a pretty good option, so got lucky there 🙂

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

First of all, Manila isn't representative of the Philippines - where I live we really only see armed guards in banks and large stores, the local 7/11 and small stores not common.  As for the war on drugs, it's really not as bad as it's portrayed by the media.  Again, where I live I haven't seen one single killing of any description in my 6+ years.  There were a number of drug busts in my city over the weekend but nobody was killed!

It's a country where if you keep yourself on the right side of things you'll live well but stray off the path and you're fucked! 

To be fair, whilst living in the UK we visited Asia countless and never had the desire to visit the place, same when we lived in Hong Kong for 10 years we had no desire to come here.  I'm only here because the wife is a Filipina. 

How disappointing for you...

1 minute ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Yup, the week around the elections was always ‘interesting’.

When in the provinces the biggest ‘risk’ was overdoing the hospitality (emperador and Red Horse/Golden Eagle). 

Yes, Bali is a pretty good option, so got lucky there 🙂

Actually, the only experience I have with a gun here was out in the sticks at one of the wife's friend's daughter's birthday.  There was a fair amount of alcohol consumed and they then got the guns out (big ones too) and were firing them into the air etc. I'd no idea a gun was so loud!  I know I've gone partly native as I'm partial to the Red Horse but I've not attempted to acquire a taste for the Emperador. 

1 hour ago, strichener said:

I'm not but I do know of gay ex-pats living in Budapest.  They have never expressed any issues.

The government aside, most Hungarians are warm and welcoming regardless.

So the electorate are tolerant but vote for a homophobic government?

On 17/06/2021 at 10:54, scottsdad said:

Just gone through a lengthy recruitment process. We shortlisted 4 applicants. When interviewed, 3 turned out to be utter no-hopers (fairly sure 2 lied on their CV's). So we offered the post to one guy, who has now turned us down. Likes it where he is. A hell of a lot of time and effort down the pan, and back to square 1. 

How many people applied for the position? Because unless the answer is 'four' then the solution to the problem is to not have a unnecessarily limited shortlist tbh. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

How many people applied for the position? Because unless the answer is 'four' then the solution to the problem is to not have a unnecessarily limited shortlist tbh. 

Fifty-nine applied. Most were utterly unsuitable, from backgrounds in very different areas. You could see that most were applying everywhere and anywhere (ie wrong job title and institute on their cover letter). We shortlisted 4 because of these 59, only the four were even remotely suitable.

On 19/06/2021 at 17:58, TAFKAM said:

f**k off with this again

image.png.53bc33ad2c314c47c366dbd0f2b26f10.png

I am going to my office next week for the first time since March 2020. Looking forward to going to my office, visiting my favourite coffee mug and seeing the (few) people there. Not looking forward to driving on the M8, raging at Audi drivers, sitting in traffic and paying for petrol. The commute can bog off