The lower league education thread - Topic 2 - Your best player since 1991

As MT says in his post.

I've been watching Queens since 1971 and whilst my favourites in my younger days were the likes of John Dempster, Tommy O'Hara, Peter Dickson, Ted McMinn and Jimmy Robertson, none came close to Dobbie - in his prime he was at times so good it was almost obscene. 👍😍

Could pick several from the team which won the league in 92/93 - Dalziel and Brewster got 55 of our 85 league goals, but the side also included Colin Cameron, a future Scotland international. Since then, Paquito and Regan Hendry stand out but my personal choice is a keeper unlike any other - Davie McGurn. Long live the Witch.

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Gary Harkins mentioned earlier was a cracking player, not blessed with any pace but nonetheless a skilful player.

He was definitely a player .when he came too ayr we were fighting relegation. And harkins didn't do much fighting. You could clearly tell how skillful a player he was but the laziest fucker I've ever saw in an ayr strip.course he was not very liked before he came too ayr .

To go so far back might give the false impression nothing good is happening now, and will look weird being prior to our more famous heights. But Craig Brewster 1992-1993 for me. 
That's incredible as ten years later, he's a credible shout for ours too.

16 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
On 12/06/2021 at 16:32, L. Brilliant said:
To go so far back might give the false impression nothing good is happening now, and will look weird being prior to our more famous heights. But Craig Brewster 1992-1993 for me. 

That's incredible as ten years later, he's a credible shout for ours too.

There might be Ionikos fans out there saying the same!

Hard to pick just one as different positions need different qualities.

In his 2 seasons with us Brewster was transformed from a slightly lazy midfielder into an awesome No 10,  but Dalziel was just the best predictor when it came to getting it done.

Hendry has been great to watch and Mickey was a class act but in a midfield duel I struggle to split Silky and Paquito.

Chris Candlish was the best defender I've seen, but since 1991 it'd have to be McAnespie though I doubt we'll see it at SP Musonda could yet be better than both.

Scotty Thomson or the Witch,

Overall though  if I have to pick just one? Probably Paquito.

On 12/06/2021 at 16:32, L. Brilliant said:

Same for me Craig Brewster for Rovers. He scored 2 against Killie when we beat them to the league title in 92/93. Other candidates would be Colin Cameron, Dave Narey and Stevie Crawford. In recent times Lewis Vaughan and Regan Hendry.

On 12/06/2021 at 16:38, Out of office said:

It's easily Brewster or Crawford for us.

A bit baffled at the other nominations.

Between Crawford or Skerla for me. 

Crawford was unplayable at times. Utterly sublime. Skerla was just a joke. Shouldn't have been anywhere near our level at his peak. Lucky we had him for so long. 

Between Crawford or Skerla for me. 
Crawford was unplayable at times. Utterly sublime. Skerla was just a joke. Shouldn't have been anywhere near our level at his peak. Lucky we had him for so long. 

I remember Gordon Dalziel was scoring loads for Rovers at that time too. Enjoyable season for us going up but Raith had a very good team at that time.

The 95/96 Morton team was full of guys who were much better than that level. Rajamaki caught the eye but Mahmood, McInnes and Lindberg were all tremendous footballers. Janne Lindberg was the pick of them for me, just a fantastic player.

Elsewhere we've had a few players who've been very good but only been at the club for short spells, Paul Fenwick and Scott Paterson were both very classy defenders.

On 26/06/2021 at 09:02, Janne Lindberg's Laces said:

The 95/96 Morton team was full of guys who were much better than that level. Rajamaki caught the eye but Mahmood, McInnes and Lindberg were all tremendous footballers. Janne Lindberg was the pick of them for me, just a fantastic player.

Elsewhere we've had a few players who've been very good but only been at the club for short spells, Paul Fenwick and Scott Paterson were both very classy defenders.

Remarkable to think that probably our best three players of the last thirty years all played (sometimes) in the same midfield.

Mind-blowing to try to imagine it now…