The lower league education thread - Topic 2 - Your best player since 1991

Hello first division friends.

Topic two of my attempt in educate myself around this unknown level of football brings a very simple topic to you all - who is your clubs best player in the last 30 years? Anyone who played even 1 minute of football from the start of the 1991/92 season onwards.

For Kilmarnock I’ll defer from answering straight away but we have so many choices from Tommy Burns, Ian Durrant, Paul Wright in the first 10 of those years with the list drying up a lot more recently. However a couple of players from Steve Clarks team would have a sneak at this and of course Boyd has to be considered, and possibly is my choice, from the current century.

So what about your teams? I’m just going to throw a few names out there I hope I don’t get accused of stirring with these names because that is not the intention at all I’m just struggling to name players:

Morton : McInnes or the boy who I think was Finnish with the blonde hair up front? Rajamaki?

Dunfermline : Barry Nicholson.

Ayr : Conway, Shankland or possibly even Andy Walker?

QOTS: Dobbie I’m sure.

ICT: Tokely or Rooney? 

The very best we’ve probably had (in that time period) is one of Gary Teale or Lawrence Shankland. Teale obviously went on to have a pretty good career and I’m still confident Shankland will.

For reasons that are purely based on my love for the man then I’m going to say Michael Moffat. Scored 100 goals for the club and has been a part of two promotion winning teams.

Its before my time from supporting Thistle but Chic Charnley tends to be one ive seen mooted as having been extremely gifted, just a bit too wild to make it as a star. Scott Paterson is another but he was more unlucky with injury. Best loanee weve had would be Graeme Dorrans i guess, scotland regular.

From who ive seen liam lindsay (team of the year), SOD, Harkins (brilliant with us first time round albeit only in the 2nd tier), doolan and erskine come to mind. Doolan is certainly up there for some brilliant firsf touches and finishes and has to be my pick, scored at least once against just about everyone we played across the spfl. Mark Roberts was excellent too.

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Its before my time from supporting Thistle but Chic Charnley tends to be one ive seen mooted as having been extremely gifted, just a bit too wild to make it as a star. Scott Paterson is another but he was more unlucky with injury. Best loanee weve had would be Graeme Dorrans i guess, scotland regular.

From who ive seen liam lindsay (team of the year), SOD, Harkins (brilliant with us first time round albeit only in the 2nd tier), doolan and erskine come to mind. Doolan is certainly up there for some brilliant firsf touches and finishes and has to be my pick, scored at least once against just about everyone we played across the spfl. Mark Roberts was excellent too.

Jean Yves Anis and I wont hear another word about it.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The very best we’ve probably had (in that time period) is one of Gary Teale or Lawrence Shankland. Teale obviously went on to have a pretty good career and I’m still confident Shankland will.

For reasons that are purely based on my love for the man then I’m going to say Michael Moffat. Scored 100 goals for the club and has been a part of two promotion winning teams.

Despite wanting to throttle him for all his misses for us, I grew to love The Moff. Hadn’t seen anyone since Craig Brewster who could control a ball so perfectly and brush by folk like they weren’t there. 

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Probably agree on this, obviously we had current Scotland squad players in McKenna and Nesbit at Ayr, but both looked destined for careers in the seaside leagues at that point

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Oh aye Gary Teale I forgot all about him.

Edited by Sortmeout

Gave you a greenie for calling it the First Division.

Echoing my fellow luvvy above, Chic Charnley is probably the best Thistle player over the last 30 years. Gary Harkins was just a beautiful footballer too. Our pitch was the worst in the country by miles (shared with the egg chasers) and he still looked like Zidane. 

Scott Paterson is my favourite Thistle player though. Just absolute silk on the ball and would start attacks by dribbling out of defence. He'd do fucking step-overs as well!! Rarely would just lump it clear, instead opting to chest it down, slide past the opposing striker and play it to a midfielder. If not for a chronic hip injury that curtailed his time with Liverpool and then his career he would have been an international. A wonderful, wonderful footballer.

If you’re going back 30 years, it’s 100% Norris McCathie for us. No explanation necessary. I was very young when I saw him play, but you could just tell he was special.

In terms of players I remember a bit better, I’d genuinely say Kevin Nisbet. A player so good, he made Crawford look like a competent manager and is at the euros, 2 years after we brought him in on a free transfer.

Honourable mentions to Craig Brewster, Jack De Gier and Gary Mason. Shields was also a very good player before for us. Remember him scoring for us when we played Killie away - unfortunately for him though, he was supposed to be playing for Killie that day!

On 10/06/2021 at 23:12, Sortmeout said:

Hello first division friends.

Topic two of my attempt in educate myself around this unknown level of football brings a very simple topic to you all - who is your clubs best player in the last 30 years? Anyone who played even 1 minute of football from the start of the 1991/92 season onwards.

For Kilmarnock I’ll defer from answering straight away but we have so many choices from Tommy Burns, Ian Durrant, Paul Wright in the first 10 of those years with the list drying up a lot more recently. However a couple of players from Steve Clarks team would have a sneak at this and of course Boyd has to be considered, and possibly is my choice, from the current century.

So what about your teams? I’m just going to throw a few names out there I hope I don’t get accused of stirring with these names because that is not the intention at all I’m just struggling to name players:

Morton : McInnes or the boy who I think was Finnish with the blonde hair up front? Rajamaki?

Dunfermline : Barry Nicholson.

Ayr : Conway, Shankland or possibly even Andy Walker?

QOTS: Dobbie I’m sure.

ICT: Tokely or Rooney? 

You certainly got ours right.

If the timeframe started in 1961, the answer would be the same.