Whitehill Welfare 21/22

1 hour ago, Crow said:

🤦‍♂️

Trying to add them up from the Tranent Twitter ... did Wayne get 5? 

Yes was always going to be tough to take something from the game but bad enough playing with 10 for an over fussy ref for 82 minutes. we won't need reminders a night to forget for the Ferguson Park faithful. :barf

Edited by newcastle broon

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

...Indeed until recently such a scoreline would've been unthinkable.

Only because they were in the EoS rather than the east region. With clubs like Tweedmouth around in a four division format they are not going to wind up like Rosewell Rosedale and will eventually find a level where they win more often than lose so better days ahead. Finding your natural level is part and parcel of having a pyramid.

94883699_2879154025533614_77956647609423

How on earth did they manage to play 44 league games plus all the cups in 1948-49 without the benefit of the devil's incandescence is an obvious question but I guess that strays more than a wee bit off topic.

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

How on earth did they manage to play 44 league games plus all the cups in 1948-49 without the benefit of the devil's incandescence is an obvious question but I guess that strays more than a wee bit off topic.

Something that I have wondered when looking at older league set ups. I just figured they did the Junior method of extending the season and cramming midweek games towards the end of the season.

29 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only because they were in the EoS rather than the east region. With clubs like Tweedmouth around in a four division format they are not going to wind up like Rosewell Rosedale and will eventually find a level where they win more often than lose so better days ahead. Finding your natural level is part and parcel of having a pyramid.

94883699_2879154025533614_77956647609423

Yip a club that embraced the pyramid when others couldnt see the wood from the trees. 

You seem to forget clubs could've applied to the EoSFL at any time not just the last few seasons.

I have no reason as to why so many played east juniors before your beloved grade died. 

There is hardly any interest in the club at present so I very much doubt the club would be there long enough to see Tweedmouths level. 

I wouldn't bank on your "better days ahead"!

Cheers for another wee dig though. 👍

I have consistently supported an all-encompassing pyramid on here precisely because I viewed the whole concept of having separate grades as stupid and backward so no idea where you are coming from with that third line. Clubs like Bo'ness United preferred the east region because the fitba was better than the nonleague seniors (at least in their part of the country, yes I know the HL was a very high standard) and there was no progression pathway to try to emulate what Bo'ness FC did in the 1920s. Once that changed it didn't take long for things to sort themself out.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hmm. WW were founders members of the LL as EOS Champions. Ahead of Edinburgh City, Civil Service Strollers, Spartans amongst others and look at where they are. 

Think being in the city itself helps them but certainly surprising that Civil Service Strollers have done so well so far. It will be a struggle for almost all of the present day LL clubs to be permanent fixtures at tier 5 or above (even for Bo'ness United with a repeat of a season like this one's) after all the top clubs from the west have arrived. Clubs finding their natural level has a long way to run yet.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think being in the city itself helps them but certainly surprising that Civil Service Strollers have done so well so far. It will be a struggle for almost all of the present day LL clubs to be permanent fixtures at tier 5 or above (even for Bo'ness United with a repeat of a season like this one's) after all the top clubs from the west have arrived. Clubs finding their natural level has a long way to run yet.

Yip that's why the SPFL wont open up relegation any further. 

Towns like Larbert Coatbridge Stranraer etc may find themselves in the LL or worse but it wont happen overnight. 

Shire and Berwick might even find themselves EoSFL, unthinkable only a few seasons ago.

Now who wouldve thought clubs would've had the nerve to start up a LL and challenge for a place at the top table. Now those that were stuck in a prehistoric era are reaping the benefits 😉 

Straying badly off-topic but the juniors crammed in so many games either side of the war (largely to maximise gate income from what I gather) by playing for about 11 months solid plus playing almost daily in midweeks when daylight allowed i.e. until early September and again from early April. Worst example I've ever seen is St Anthonys who played 88 competitive games (including 50 league games) and 3 friendlies in 1935-36. Season started on Saturday 27th July and ended on Saturday 13th June and this was their schedule:

Sat-Mon-Tue
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue-Wed
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue
Fri-Sat
(then 29 consecutive Saturdays including 2 without any game)
Sat-Mon-Tue-Thu
Sat-Mon-Tue-Wed
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue-Wed
Fri-Sat-Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu
Fri-Sat(aft)-Sat(eve)-Mon-Tue-Thu
(7 days without a game!) Thu
Sat-Mon-Thu
Fri-Sat

= league
= cup-tie
= friendly

Edited by HibeeJibee

33 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You keep going on as if the lowland league would be 16 west clubs they all aren't that good. We played Rob roy while on a 7 game losing run played shit and still beat them. Don't think it's as cut and dried because they have 500 fans they will all be in the lowland league

5 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

You keep going on as if the lowland league would be 16 west clubs they all aren't that good. We played Rob roy while on a 7 game losing run played shit and still beat them. Don't think it's as cut and dried because they have 500 fans they will all be in the lowland league

It's a common point that some people from the West seem to have. That the 16 in the West can simply slot into the LL or higher.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's a common point that some people from the West seem to have. That the 16 in the West can simply slot into the LL or higher.

That's the arrogance people have in the west. Rob roy fans thought they were going to walk over us. As I say we were on that poor run. They were 8th and looked nothing special. So their ianmaybe 5 or 6 who could get to the lowland league

Edited by AlanCamelonfan

10 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

That's the arrogance people have in the west. Rob roy fans thought they were going to walk over us. As I say we were on that poor run. They were 8th and looked nothing special. So their ianmaybe 5 or 6 who could get to the lowland league

With things like this I usually dismiss the clubs that are regular midtable/bottom half clubs. At non-league level if you haven't shown the ability to be in a title fight occasionally, it doesn't get easier once the top teams move on.

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

What you are forgetting Alan old bean is that there will also almost certainly be clubs dropping from the SPFL into the LL over the next decade or two, so the top east coast tier 5 clubs could easily wind up being the likes of Cowdenbeath and Stenny along with the Shire (suspect the EoS is their natural level though) and Berwick who are already there rather than some of the ones that are there right now like Civil Service Strollers and Stirling University. The national league levels have been skewed towards the east more than they should have been in population terms because the Second Division was formed from the Central League that was east coast dominated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Football_League

and the clubs that managed to hang around from the collapse of the abortive Third Division that followed were from Angus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1925–26_Scottish_Division_Three

Not saying the West is going to completely dominate but I would be very surprised if Pollok, Clydebank and Irvine Meadow in particular are not SPFL fixtures down the road. Not so sure about Auchinleck Talbot and Darvel long term given they are from relatively small towns but there will likely be a couple more west (probably Ayrshire) clubs doing very well in any given era. If someone goes up somebody else has to come down.

On 10/11/2021 at 09:36, Crow said:

Hmm. WW were founders members of the LL as EOS Champions. Ahead of Edinburgh City, Civil Service Strollers, Spartans amongst others and look at where they are. 

Exactly. Nothing to do with the standard of the league and everything to do with the decline of the club.