Whitehill Welfare 21/22

On 13/06/2021 at 08:55, The Mantis said:

I see the young boy Wayno did the business yesterday

IMG_0269.JPG.e73682df92d3decc67bd866610f68f21.JPG

Friday... 

Good to see you and tam the bam among many others outside Ferguson Park for Sir Peter's funeral on Friday. 

A lot of well known faces not just associated with ww but EOS football in general.

If it was up to me I'd be renaming the park in his honour. 

Saturday...

A fine 2 0 win away at Threave with like you say a double from the man himself.

Today....

Onto the Oriam for a behind closed doors friendly v Heriot Watt. 

Mon the Welfare.

Screenshot_20210614-083058_Twitter.jpg

Edited by newcastle broon

Cheers Newky.

The Sir Peter Girningdome has a ring about it.. ;)

I think a statue of Peter sat up in the terrace behind the goals would be good too- maybe depicted in full flow against a WW goalie's failings!

We used to have some banter with Peter at WW v City matches but he did speak quite a lot of sense when you listened to him carefully and the power of work he did preparing the pitch etc at Ferguson Park was amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre season going well so far. 

Arniston 1 WW 2

Threave 0 WW 2

Wishaw 0 WW 4

WW 2 Hearts xi 2 

Next up St.Cuthberts Wanderers next Saturday at Ferguson Park before the season starts away to Dundonald on the 17th.

A lot of drainage work been done on the park as well as a memorial bench for honorary president Derek Waterson.

250 season tickets given to local school kids while it's only £50 a bargain for adults.

Onwards......

FB_IMG_1625434950459.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-225117_Facebook~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-230818_WhatsApp.jpg

19 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Pre season going well so far. 

Arniston 1 WW 2

Threave 0 WW 2

Wishaw 0 WW 4

WW 2 Hearts xi 2 

Next up St.Cuthberts Wanderers next Saturday at Ferguson Park before the season starts away to Dundonald on the 17th.

A lot of drainage work been done on the park as well as a memorial bench for honorary president Derek Waterson.

250 season tickets given to local school kids while it's only £50 a bargain for adults.

Onwards......

FB_IMG_1625434950459.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-225117_Facebook~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-230818_WhatsApp.jpg

I still can’t believe that the £50 is enough to keep a club like Whitehill going, unless there is some kind of support behind the scenes which acts as backup/cushion for potential shortfalls/losses for the season.

if it works, then how can I knock it and good luck to them. Looking at other prices from Premier league clubs, the season tickets range from £50 to £100.

It will be interesting to see how much pay at gate tickets are charged by WW.

Just now, Casey Jones said:

I still can’t believe that the £50 is enough to keep a club like Whitehill going, unless there is some kind of support behind the scenes which acts as backup/cushion for potential shortfalls/losses for the season.

if it works, then how can I knock it and good luck to them. Looking at other prices from Premier league clubs, the season tickets range from £50 to £100.

Great by the way for the 250 tickets to the School kids. Issue there could be if it remains at only 250 allowed access to the ground. I know that restrictions should be relaxed come season kick off, but with rising COVID numbers; who knows what the First Minister will decide at that point. 

1 minute ago, Casey Jones said:

To be honest season tickets were few and far between in previous seasons.

A great incentive by the club to get a wee bit extra support. The village is outgrowing itself so hopefully maybes some new fans can come through the gates be it through a season ticket,a paying adult with their childs season ticket or paying at the gate on the day.

5 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Great by the way for the 250 tickets to the School kids. Issue there could be if it remains at only 250 allowed access to the ground. I know that restrictions should be relaxed come season kick off, but with rising COVID numbers; who knows what the First Minister will decide at that point. 

I'd be very surprised if we get anywhere near 500 (250 kids + 250 adult) crowds every week Casey. 

Plus the loyal band of fans we have. 

Would be very impressive if we did though. 

6 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I'd be very surprised if we get anywhere near 500 (250 kids + 250 adult) crowds every week Casey. 

Plus the loyal band of fans we have. 

Would be very impressive if we did though. 

NB- I thought that as Midlothian was still.  In Tier 2; (May be wrong), their maximum for home matches was 250. Think East Lothian clubs can get 500, as although COVID figures are high, it is still in Tier 2; though surprisingly last weekend against a East Stirling there was just less than a crowd of 200. Thought after having no matches to attend and a nice day, the crowd would have been higher.

8 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

surprisingly last weekend against a East Stirling there was just less than a crowd of 200. Thought after having no matches to attend and a nice day, the crowd would have been higher.

I've said it for a while the longer ye go without football the more people are likely to find other options to do on a Saturday. Also making matches all ticket,track and trace,mask wearing etc might put people off. Some might just prefer to turn up on the day without all of the above. Not that I'm saying that is the case here like. 

We should just be thankful clubs have survived this pandemic,many hospitality grades etc will never reopen which is very sad.I somehow think we havent heard the last of the financial impact this pandemic has left us with. 

Stay safe Casey.

I wouldn't mind wearing a mask in December at, say, the Pennypit as it would keep my fizzog warm but wearing a mask to watch football on a boiling hot day in July when I've been double vaxed certainly puts me off going to football.

And has been pointed out you could sit indoors in Welfare's bar without a mask but you can't sit outdoors in Welfare's stand without one....

12 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

surprisingly last weekend against a East Stirling there was just less than a crowd of 200. Thought after having no matches to attend and a nice day, the crowd would have been higher.

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

I've said it for a while the longer ye go without football the more people are likely to find other options to do on a Saturday. Also making matches all ticket,track and trace,mask wearing etc might put people off. Some might just prefer to turn up on the day without all of the above. Not that I'm saying that is the case here like.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I wouldn't mind wearing a mask in December at, say, the Pennypit as it would keep my fizzog warm but wearing a mask to watch football on a boiling hot day in July when I've been double vaxed certainly puts me off going to football.

Perceptive observations IMO.

I've been to 5 non-league friendlies since crowds were allowed back a month ago. Must say that, in almost every case, attendances were a bit lower than I might have expected. Particularly after so long away. Talking to other fans and club officials, some had similar reactions.

Many reasons postulated...

(1) people were watching the Euros;

(2) people were going on holiday or meeting family they haven't seen in months;

(3) people see all this stuff about masks, temp checks, register etc. and think it's not going to be enjoyable;

(4) people see all this stuff about pre-purchasing tickets, apps, register your details etc. and think it's too much hassle;

(5) people are broke so cannot afford it right now;

(6) people are waiting for remaining restrictions to lift in a few weeks;

(7) people are scared of being around crowds;

(8) people aren't that bothered for friendlies/aren't seeing them listed in their local paper/aren't making plans as friendlies are often getting cancelled or venues and kickoffs amended;

(9) after 18 months away people have fallen out of the habit.

Probably some truth in all of those and let's be honest preseason has never been particularly well-attended.

Early days of course... and most likely crowds will continue to build-up once the competitive action starts. Perhaps even boom once restrictions are lifted.

Non-league football should certainly be in a good place to attract supporters back. It's local and cheap. It's usually easier and more relaxed than SPFL in terms of travel, entry/exit, certainly stewarding. Plus the grounds are generally terraced rather than all-seater which - coupled with crowds rarely being more than 10% of capacity - means individuals could continue to space-out in the open if they wished.

League has probably done all it can logistically to help schedule-wise/etc.. With a few exceptions (odd team/ground works/clashes) every club start the season with 1 home+1 away Saturday and 1 home+1 away midweek in the opening 10 days i.e. HAAH or AHHA. Subsequent midweeks fall after remaining restrictions should be lifted and are mostly in empty midweeks before international weekends. There are derby cards on all 3 autumn international weekends, and there is to be a sort of 2-for-1 or 'bring a friend' free ticket scheme (connected with lottery). There is a groundhop pencilled-in for early October.

If crowds do prove sluggish individual clubs might need to think about ways to reconnect with supporters. Examples might be special local publicity; a free entry match (usually donations end-up similar to the gate anyway); open days or family days; or a Friday night game.

LTHV, Bo'ness Athletic and Syngenta have each got a Friday in the early weeks due to ground clashes and it'll be interesting to see what those crowds are like.

A 4 3 win against St.Cuthberts Wanderers last Saturday saw an unbeaten pre season.

Real stuff starts tomorrow at Dundonald Bluebell where recent impressive free scoring  trialist Arran Laidlaw has signed on loan from our near neighbours doon the road.

Best of luck for the season mon the Welfare!!

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Ooft! Sair yin. Any of the Fergie Park Faithful there? I see there was a red card but it was 4-0 by that point.

They say its the hope that kills ya..not in our case..

6 minutes ago, magoo said:

They say its the hope that kills ya..not in our case..

No a good marker for the rest of the season. I'll probably pop up on Tuesday night if they'll let me in. Camelon will be just as hard.

8 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

No a good marker for the rest of the season. I'll probably pop up on Tuesday night if they'll let me in. Camelon will be just as hard.

All the teams are capable of picking up results in this league. It will be a hard game going to welfare on a Tuesday night

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I think i know how this pans out