Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

On 28/07/2021 at 18:32, welshbairn said:

Good stuff. I was terrified of chemo but found it mostly a doddle, helped by the strong steroids they give you which give you a wee buzz. Not saying it's like that for everyone, and think I was on a fairly mild dose, but just pointing out it isn't awful for everyone. I was on it for 3 hours every 3 weeks I think, it varies a lot. Hope Broughty do better than Clach last Saturday..

I made it. Suffering a bit for it today mind you, but we won 6-0.

My old man's bowel cancer came back a couple of months ago and he's gone downhill far more quickly than I would have believed possible. My sister phoned me today saying I needed to get up to the house, as the GP had been up and basically said there is nothing that can be done other than pain relief. I don't know the medical ins and outs, but basically any nutrition he eats is only strengthening the cancer, with the result that he's getting weaker and weaker and he's noticeably thinner on a weekly basis. We've been told to expect it to be over in less than a fortnight. I used to do Macmillan Welfare Rights work and have worked with families in this situation hundreds of times, I suppose it feels completely surreal that we're in that situation now. My mum and my sister are in bits, I'm trying to hold it together and we're all having to sit there absolutely fucking helpless as our Dad slowly wastes away. 
Cancer is an utter arsehole of a disease. 
Just seen this having replied to your post on the covid thread. Cancer, uniquely (in my very limited experience) takes the person you knew and turns them into something else, to the point where it gets hard to remember them before. Its all consuming. Its so hard to describe what its like to watch it taking someone you love. I never knew that thing about nutrition strengthening it but it makes so much sense to read it. You cant imagine a situation where theres no fighting back but that's what it does. Fucking horrific. The sooner a cure comes the better. I read about it sometimes. I even have shares in a company I believe are going to make a difference. Where once before I would have been bitter if a cure arrived too late for my family, now I would be just so fucking happy to know that less familes would have such a fate brought upon them.

TL;DR... Aye its a b*****d

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Just seen this having replied to your post on the covid thread. Cancer, uniquely (in my very limited experience) takes the person you knew and turns them into something else, to the point where it gets hard to remember them before. Its all consuming. Its so hard to describe what its like to watch it taking someone you love. I never knew that thing about nutrition strengthening it but it makes so much sense to read it. You cant imagine a situation where theres no fighting back but that's what it does. Fucking horrific. The sooner a cure comes the better. I read about it sometimes. I even have shares in a company I believe are going to make a difference. Where once before I would have been bitter if a cure arrived too late for my family, now I would be just so fucking happy to know that less familes would have such a fate brought upon them.

TL;DR... Aye its a b*****d

Yeah that's been the worst aspect of it from our point of view. He looks like he's aged 20 years in about 3 months, can barely speak without it knackering him, he's probably dropped about 3-4 stone in a couple of months and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. I went into the hospice earlier tonight to see him for a while and it's just soul destroying. He can barely hold a half full cup of tea and is basically having an Ensure drink and a couple of frozen pinapple ice cubes a day. I'm torn between wanting him to go quietly and painlessly in his sleep but not wanting him to be on his own in some strange building when he does go. It's shite for all of us, but for mum especially having to watching a man she's been with for about 60 years to deteriorate like that is fucking awful. 

I've not posted regularly for a few months mostly due to being busy, but I'm genuinely sad to hear about Wullie. He had a unique avatar and his  posts were often funny, charming and interesting. 

I mind reading a few of his cancer posts (shout out to HSF and Welshbairn) for such inspiring posts and ways of dealing with this awful, awful cunting disease. 

Rest well Wullie. 

Life is short, folks, a bit clichéd to say this but please, live it up. We're only here for a visit and don't know how long it will be. 

A week on from my last post and the old man is still in the hospice and still holding on, although I've no idea how. He can't eat anything at all, and is basically getting by with spoonfuls of water with some sort of additive/thickening agent to avoid it going down his windpipe. He's so weak that he can basically mumble "I need a drink" and that's about it. Myself, mum and sis have basically been living at the hospice for the last 5 days expecting him to go at any time, but it wasn't sustainable, you can't function on a three hour sleep on a settee every day, living in each other's pockets just waiting for the inevitable. We're just going to visit in "shifts" so to speak, so that hopefully at least one of us is with him at the end.

The hospice staff have been absolutely amazing though and I'm full of admiration for the job they do. 

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

A week on from my last post and the old man is still in the hospice and still holding on, although I've no idea how. He can't eat anything at all, and is basically getting by with spoonfuls of water with some sort of additive/thickening agent to avoid it going down his windpipe. He's so weak that he can basically mumble "I need a drink" and that's about it. Myself, mum and sis have basically been living at the hospice for the last 5 days expecting him to go at any time, but it wasn't sustainable, you can't function on a three hour sleep on a settee every day, living in each other's pockets just waiting for the inevitable. We're just going to visit in "shifts" so to speak, so that hopefully at least one of us is with him at the end.

The hospice staff have been absolutely amazing though and I'm full of admiration for the job they do. 

Respect to you, your sister and your mum.

It'll mean a lot to your dad that he's not alone.

On 02/08/2021 at 00:23, Day of the Lords said:

Yeah that's been the worst aspect of it from our point of view. He looks like he's aged 20 years in about 3 months, can barely speak without it knackering him, he's probably dropped about 3-4 stone in a couple of months and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. I went into the hospice earlier tonight to see him for a while and it's just soul destroying. He can barely hold a half full cup of tea and is basically having an Ensure drink and a couple of frozen pinapple ice cubes a day. I'm torn between wanting him to go quietly and painlessly in his sleep but not wanting him to be on his own in some strange building when he does go. It's shite for all of us, but for mum especially having to watching a man she's been with for about 60 years to deteriorate like that is fucking awful. 

That's the way I felt with my mum, I just wanted her away (for selfish reasons as I could hardly bear seeing her the way she was), "fortunately" she died at home and we were with her at the end (or more specifically my wife was).

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

It will be a comfort for him to know he's with the ones he loves most.

12 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Wishing you and your family the best at this tough time.

13 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

This dredges up memories of when my Mum passed. She was so bad towards the end I was wishing her to be out her misery.

Horrible feeling.

Stay strong mate.

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Had my 4 monthly check up today. Cancer still sleeping. My bloods are looking as good as ever. My next check up will be in December! 

It will be my 3 year diagnosis anniversary in 8 weeks. Can't believe the difference in me from then till now. 

Hopefully your team cheers you up later mate.

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Had my 4 monthly check up today. Cancer still sleeping. My bloods are looking as good as ever. My next check up will be in December! 

It will be my 3 year diagnosis anniversary in 8 weeks. Can't believe the difference in me from then till now. 

Excellent news!

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

My Dad finally passed yesterday morning. We'd collectively decided to take a break from the hospice for a few hours - I got a phone call at 1:05am saying his breathing had changed and I might want to come in, I got there at 1:15am and he was gone. On balance it's maybe for the best. Mum's last sight of dad shouldn't have been of him breathing his last when he was too out of it on morphine to know we were even there. We all went back to mum's afterwards to celebrate him with a couple of his favourite whiskies and reminisce. 

Sorry to hear that, but there was no recovery for him.

Help your mum and sister to get through this and don't get run down or take too much out of yourself, either.