Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

10 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have been referred for an urgent ultrasound to see what the lump actually is, but the nurse said it's most likely not cancer.

It's probably just what I had.

It'll be a weight off your mind mate.

Hopefully other people reading are checking their junk regularly.

3 minutes ago, Venti said:

It's probably just what I had.

It'll be a weight off your mind mate.

Hopefully other people reading are checking their junk regularly.

The lump is where the tubes connect to the ball. The nurse said it would be more concerning if the lump was on the actual ball.

He said it was most likely a cyst.

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The lump is where the tubes connect to the ball. The nurse said it would be more concerning if the lump was on the actual ball.

Like I said; it's good that you're checking & got seen by someone.

Too many folk are too embarassed or suffer in silence.

Have an early pint & go watch your team later.

😘

27 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

This sounds like what I had - an epidydimal cyst. 

The doc I spoke to (back in the 90s) said that it it was a hard lump like a peanut on the ball, they would be worried. Mine was squishier and bigger. 

Instead of an ultrasound he used a wee pen torch. Put it behind the lump and switched it on. The lump lit up, showing it was full of liquid. 

15 minutes ago, Venti said:

Like I said; it's good that you're checking & got seen by someone.

Too many folk are too embarassed or suffer in silence.

Have an early pint & go watch your team later.

😘

I don't drink but I cracked open a can of Tropical Blast (Aldi's version of Lilt) in celebration.

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The doc I spoke to (back in the 90s) said that it it was a hard lump like a peanut on the ball, they would be worried. Mine was squishier and bigger. 

Instead of an ultrasound he used a wee pen torch. Put it behind the lump and switched it on. The lump lit up, showing it was full of liquid. 

I might do that experiment later.

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Oh I'd want to squeeze all the puss out.

13 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Oh I'd want to squeeze all the puss out.

The thought of the pus doesn't bother me.

Squeezing a gonad to get it out though? f**k all the way off!

Glad you've had some tentative good news @Richey Edwards and this is the exact reason that any changes should be checked early.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

The thought of the pus doesn't bother me.

Squeezing a gonad to get it out though? f**k all the way off!

Glad you've had some tentative good news @Richey Edwards and this is the exact reason that any changes should be checked early.

The pain inflicted would make it all the more satisfying!

27 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Cancer took my dad on Monday. 

His last few days were horrible. He went downhill quickly. A few days earlier he was sitting downstairs, talking to visitors. The only saving grace is that his decline at the end was so rapid, it didn't draw out his suffering and indignity. 

We are all devastated of course. But at the same time his suffering is over, and by the end it was a relief of sorts that he was no longer in pain, no longer reduced, no longer relying on boxes and boxes of medication and feeding stuff. 

It hasn't really, fully hit me yet. It will. The whole family have been great, and we are rallying round my mum. 

I cannot think what else to add except to say, when you see fundraising efforts for McMillan and Strathcarron, stick a few quid in. The Strathcarron nurses were amazing. They all deserve more. The two who were with him at the end were there 2 hours after their shift finished. Not a word of complaint. Give em all a pay rise and much more. 

Strathcarron are, in general terms, a small group of genuine angels. 

My mother in law went recently in one of these, fine one week, then gone a few weeks later ones that you hear about. Terrifying. 

On 28/03/2023 at 14:55, Honest Saints Fan said:

Myeloma still sleeping soundly! 😁 What a relief.

Absolutely delighted for you! Long may that continue. 

I always think back to my mum's Myeloma diagnosis and she'd just decided at that point and at her age, it wasn't worth the pain for her - she said she'd have tried everything if I was still a child but she couldn't bear facing extensive treatment at her age aside from flushing her bloods (even though she was only 65 when diagnosed) - so I 100% respect and admire everything you've gone through and continue to do.

Edited by djchapsticks

My dad died from lung cancer in October. 62 years old. He had been unwell for about two years but had COPD for f**k knows how long. He was pretty much cancer-free in May '22 but it came back quickly and spread to his spine. He spent four weeks in the house, alone and unable to look after himself, before calling for an ambulance. Then spent five weeks in hospital before calling me telling to say what happened. Four weeks after that he was gone. It upsets me that he went through so much unnecessary pain, and that he never asked me for help, but he didn't ask anyone for help. I think he was scared that I wasn't going to answer. He was a depressed alcoholic, and a man who had clearly lost the will to live. It's not a happy ending but I'm relieved that I got to see him in hospital a few times; I'd always expected a phone call from the police.

I haven't shared this with many people and I haven't gone into any great detail because this isn't a therapy session. But I know there will be other people my age who will have to go through this, and indeed people of all ages, so just wanted to part-share my story, and if anyone needs someone to talk to then just give me a shout.