Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I am going on Friday morning to get checked out. Hopefully it's something harmless and I'm getting worried about nothing.

Better getting it checked out and finding you've been worrying about nothing for a few days, than pretending it will go away on its own and have it nagging away for months.

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Better getting it checked out and finding you've been worrying about nothing for a few days, than pretending it will go away on its own and have it nagging away for months.

My uncle died last year of cancer because he found a lump and chose to ignore it. By the time he actually did get checked out, it was too late for anything other than hospice care. He'd likely still be alive if he had got it checked out sooner.

I am taking no chances. I have grown rather attached to being alive.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

One of the worst things about cancer is that any ailment or pain you might normally experience without it might be related to it, but probably isn't. Hoping that's the case with your sore back. My original scans showed that mine had spread from the prostate to my bones, so I shit myself when I feel any aches and pains that are probably just normal for my age. Really hoping you get some reassurance on Tuesday or soon after.

Definitely. I've been doing more exercise lately so it could be to do with that but I'm also nearly 4 years after my stem cell transplant and all my friends are relapsing so I'm thinking well it must be my time soon! 

Relapsing isn't necessarily the worst thing as there is 5 treatment lines approved on the NHS and I've only had 1 so I'm nowhere near the end of the road but I've built it into this big thing in my head. The kids were 2 and a newborn when I had my initial treatment so it didn't really affect them. I'm worried about relapsing, them seeing me unwell etc. 

I do way too much so I've taken this week to chill and do f**k all 😁

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Best of luck.

As a teenager I discovered a lump on one of my baws. Spent ages worrying about it, but in the end it was just a cyst. Hoping for good news for you.

Same thing happened to me.

Worst part was when the GP refererred me for an ultra-sound.

Things that go through your head is awful. Not "I might die" more "I might lose a baw" it's weird.

Like you, it was nothing bad.

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Best of luck.

As a teenager I discovered a lump on one of my baws. Spent ages worrying about it, but in the end it was just a cyst. Hoping for good news for you.

Aye, I had a medical check which involved a fondle, had a moment of terror when the doctor informed me there was a lump, after some more rummaging he assured me it was a cyst. 

Almost shat maself.

Best of luck with the scan @Honest Saints FanFan 👍 

In a rare venture into the GN forum I stumbled across this thread having recognised the name of Madwullie. There was a few PnB Fifa tournaments organised a number of years ago that I took part in and I remember him being fairly decent at it. An absolute sin what happened to him and I can only hope his family are doing as well as can be and the kids are flourishing.

I've spent the last couple of hours on and off reading the thread from start to finish and the closer I got to the end, I kept on hoping for an update from Jimi himself, something along the lines of he was doing better than expected and things were as well as can be but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Then there's TDN's story - man that hit me so hard I can't begin to imagine what it was like for yourself, again I only hope all is as well as can be. I'm fairly recently married with a wee one on the way and the thought of going through something similar is beyond my comprehension. The story itself plus trying to put myself in your shoes made me shed a few genuine tears, which is rare for me (I don't say that with pleasure).

I'd like to thank you though. The scrabble comment resonates with me - I'm regularly putting off silly wee tasks/requests etc from my wife and they might well just be minute details in the grand scheme of things but I need to do better. I know it's not possible to have absolutely no regrets in whatever path life takes us, but I'm going to try and be...better. It's a wee boot up the arse I think I needed, so genuinely thanks for sharing such a tragic and personal story.

Strength to you and everyone else affected with this dickhead of a disease and RIP to those who have sadly passed.

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Cancer is awful to watch. My dad hasn't long left and it has just taken everything from him. 

Absolutely no quality of life now. 

Had to watch my Mum whittle away to nothing.

Gets to a point where you just wish it was over for them.

Sorry about your Dad mate.

5 hours ago, Venti said:

I was glad to see my mother away, tbh.

"Relieved" might be more appropriate.

She was just skin and bones at the end up, and she wasn't big to start with.

1 hour ago, Venti said:

This is probably a discussion for another thread, but I have worked in healthcare for over a decade and have seen people wasting away to nothing and losing all quality of life. It's a relief when it finally is over for them.

However, all this suffering is unnecessary. Terminally ill and gravely injured animals are euthanised to spare them a long, drawn out and painful death because it's the kindest thing to do. Why are terminally ill people exempt from this? They should be allowed to choose to spare themselves from the suffering and die on their own terms.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Thanks.

I'm getting my baws felt in an hour.

All the best. I had something similar a few years ago, sheer panic. Doctor had a feel and it was something called epididymitis and was sorted with antibiotics. Hoping for the same outcome for you.

20 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

This is probably a discussion for another thread, but I have worked in healthcare for over a decade and have seen people wasting away to nothing and losing all quality of life. It's a relief when it finally is over for them.

However, all this suffering is unnecessary. Terminally ill and gravely injured animals are euthanised to spare them a long, drawn out and painful death because it's the kindest thing to do. Why are terminally ill people exempt from this? They should be allowed to choose to spare themselves from the suffering and die on their own terms.

Yeah I've long thought this. My Dad was "fortunate" in that his last days were in a hospice where the staff were absolutely fantastic. He didn't have the long drawn out decline over many months that a lot of other cancer sufferers do. I used to do MacMillan Welfare Rights work years ago and many of the folk I visited that were terminal were as @Jacksgranda describes.

My own take is that there is no dignity in that sort of existence, and there absolutely should be a choice available to folk in these situations. If it was me, I'd want a quick exit, so to speak. 

I went for a ball check in my 20s as something didn't feel right, walked in the docs and ended up being a girl in my year at schools dad who's house I'd visited a few times for various social occasions. Once I got over the initial awkwardness of a man who'd witnesses me in his living room drinking Mad Dog having a feel around my baws, it was all good and nothing to worry about but definitely always worth getting checked out.

Best of luck Richey