Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

On 18/01/2023 at 21:32, welshbairn said:

I had similar for stage 4 prostrate cancer, every three weeks for about 3 months. Felt fine apart from one or two days after a week when I'd feel sick and dizzy for a bit after each session, that was it. The steroids they give you are important to take, they really take off the edge. There are lots of different types of chemo though so her experience could be very different, give her my luck and best wishes!

P.S. Feel free to pm me at anytime, don't expect expert advice though, just what I went through..

Thanks that’s really helpful to hear and I’ll take you up on that at some point I’m sure. How are you keeping now? 

19 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Sorry to hear that mate, its an awful thing to see your parent go through cancer treatment, im in the same position. I really hope your mum doesnt suffer too badly with the side affects. Locally St Margaret's hospice are excellent btw! My wifes said that sometimes people dont get symptoms after one round of chemo, again though its worth having a look at cancer research uk’s resources, really good, helped me understand stuff about my old man’s cancer without having to keep asking the wife loads of questions (she’d be happy to chat but sometimes i think my questions about it would be daft, even though i know she wouldnt have a problem). 

Thanks mate, it feels surreal at the moment because she has had basically no symptoms from the cancer but has been through 2 surgeries and now waiting to see how bad the chemo side effects will be. Horrible. She’s up in Dundee and wants to stay at home if she possibly can but have always heard good things about St Margaret’s. 

Had a telephone appointment with my nurse this morning, she seemed happy enough with my answers. That's my treatment finished for the meantime, I got my last implant in January, which will keep me going until April. I was told it would be for 2 or 3 years, and that's the 3 years up.

All they want from now on is my PSA level, and as long as it doesn't go above 2, they'll be happy.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Had a telephone appointment with my nurse this morning, she seemed happy enough with my answers. That's my treatment finished for the meantime, I got my last implant in January, which will keep me going until April. I was told it would be for 2 or 3 years, and that's the 3 years up.

All they want from now on is my PSA level, and as long as it doesn't go above 2, they'll be happy.

Good news. Supporting the Dons would shorten any lifespan.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've made it to 70, although it's been a bit of a struggle.

My father lived to 84.

Just make sure you take the blue pill next time. Forget Jim Goodwin ever happened.

On 25/01/2023 at 14:22, Jacksgranda said:

Just got the result of my 6 monthly PSA test, 0.3 which hasn't changed since chemo and hormone injections got it down from 145 in 2020. Just a 6 monthly test and hormone jag from now on. The jag is to suppress testosterone production which the prostate cancer feeds on, haven't grown tits yet but I do get the odd hot flush which can be handy for watching Highland League football in the winter. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just got the result of my 6 monthly PSA test, 0.3 which hasn't changed since chemo and hormone injections got it down from 145 in 2020. Just a 6 monthly test and hormone jag from now on. The jag is to suppress testosterone production which the prostate cancer feeds on, haven't grown tits yet but I do get the odd hot flush which can be handy for watching Highland League football in the winter. 

Mine was 0.03, so there!

Hot flushes have ceased.

My dad was diagnosed with another cancer last week. This one they say they can do very little about. He's going on next week for an operation to try to help but this is, frankly, temporary. 

His other illnesses mean that treatment options are very limited. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

My dad was diagnosed with another cancer last week. This one they say they can do very little about. He's going on next week for an operation to try to help but this is, frankly, temporary. 

His other illnesses mean that treatment options are very limited. 

Not so good. Keep your chin up. (Easier said than done.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tough day on Friday. 

My wife works in on office with 3 other women. They are a tight-knit group, very friendly. One of her co-workers was absolutely fine in December, but a few days before Christmas started feeling ill. She declined rapidly and went into hospital. Issues with white blood cells and calcium. Soon she was diagnosed with cancer of the womb. 

The wife got a phone call on Friday to say that she had passed away. Something like 8 weeks ago she was fine. It devastated my wife, and the others left in the office. A really unhappy workplace. 

On the same day we got the (not unexpected) news that my dad's cancer was untreatable. He has a separate, unrelated terminal diagnosis last year so it is just a matter of time. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Tough day on Friday. 

My wife works in on office with 3 other women. They are a tight-knit group, very friendly. One of her co-workers was absolutely fine in December, but a few days before Christmas started feeling ill. She declined rapidly and went into hospital. Issues with white blood cells and calcium. Soon she was diagnosed with cancer of the womb. 

The wife got a phone call on Friday to say that she had passed away. Something like 8 weeks ago she was fine. It devastated my wife, and the others left in the office. A really unhappy workplace. 

On the same day we got the (not unexpected) news that my dad's cancer was untreatable. He has a separate, unrelated terminal diagnosis last year so it is just a matter of time. 

Tough times for you and your wife.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

It will hopefully be nothing sinister, but yesterday I discovered a lump that should not be where it was. It is quite an alarming thing to find but I am going to get it checked out ASAP.

Best of luck.

As a teenager I discovered a lump on one of my baws. Spent ages worrying about it, but in the end it was just a cyst. Hoping for good news for you.

It will hopefully be nothing sinister, but yesterday I discovered a lump that should not be where it was. It is quite an alarming thing to find but I am going to get it checked out ASAP.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Best of luck.

As a teenager I discovered a lump on one of my baws. Spent ages worrying about it, but in the end it was just a cyst. Hoping for good news for you.

Aye, well done for getting it checked out, but it could also just be a lipoma which sounds scary but is just a harmless fatty lump.

Hopefully it turns about to be nothing sinister.

I have my next check up on Tuesday and god, I am suffering the worst anxiety over it. I'm convinced the cancer is back as I've had a really sore back for about 2 weeks and this was my first symptoms before I was diagnosed. 

For some reason relapsing seems worse than being diagnosed as I know I'm one step closer to the end if that makes sense...

24 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I have my next check up on Tuesday and god, I am suffering the worst anxiety over it. I'm convinced the cancer is back as I've had a really sore back for about 2 weeks and this was my first symptoms before I was diagnosed. 

For some reason relapsing seems worse than being diagnosed as I know I'm one step closer to the end if that makes sense...

I'm sure it will be allright.

Chin up!

5 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

One of the worst things about cancer is that any ailment or pain you might normally experience without it might be related to it, but probably isn't. Hoping that's the case with your sore back. My original scans showed that mine had spread from the prostate to my bones, so I shit myself when I feel any aches and pains that are probably just normal for my age. Really hoping you get some reassurance on Tuesday or soon after.